Match Thread Swansea City - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 19th Aug (2 Viewers)

steveo1987

Well again, if these places can't sort their shit out you have a situation where people choose between getting a drink or watching the total 90.

Not saying either is the right decision, but it comes part and parcel with not being able to drink a beer at your seat. If you are on an all dayer I can understand why some want to try and shorten their queue time. As it happened today, if you went down early, you miss two goals.

I was queuing for 15 minutes and decided to stay commited rather than waste that whole time. I got lucky and didn't miss any goals, but let's not be snobbish about this. It is a problem faced by a lot of football fans in this country.
There were three lads in front of us next to the netting by the home fans spent the entire game baiting the Swansea fans, I don't think they saw one minute of football, very cringeworthy with their "banter".Thought the Swans fans were pretty decent though.

Nick

Administrator
There were three lads in front of us next to the netting by the home fans spent the entire game baiting the Swansea fans, I don't think they saw one minute of football, very cringeworthy with their "banter".Thought the Swans fans were pretty decent though.
Did see some of that. Out of their heads

scubasteve

Yeah it wont be a ground il be in a rush go back to. Went a few years ago and forgot how long of a journey it is. You get to cardiff on the M4 and you still have a hour to go. On top of that 1 kiosk to serve 2000 fans is pretty shite. Got a beer pre game, didnt even think of trying at half time.

Legia Sky Blue

I understand having a beer as part of the day out, and have been happy to do so on many occasions before and after a game, but never really got the need to urgently drink more during the game at the expense of watching the match you've centred your day around. Each to their own I suppose!

Same as the people who have to leave early to 'beat the traffic'. Loved it that season when we kept scoring in injury time!

StrettoBoy

I thought that was a decent performance, away from home to one of our bogey teams.

The squad needs time to gel and, with more faces still to come in, that will be the case for a while yet.

Please let us give Simms a chance. I think he will play well with Wright, although Godden certainly deserves to start at the moment. Simms needs time to settle, our support and a goal under his belt to gain confidence.

Macca

I thought that was a decent performance, away from home to one of our bogey teams.

The squad needs time to gel and, with more faces still to come in, that will be the case for a while yet.

Please let us give Simms a chance. I think he will play well with Wright, although Godden certainly deserves to start at the moment. Simms needs time to settle, our support and a goal under his belt to gain confidence.

Me too. I see the performance being described as poor. Average maybe but far from poor. I think we’ve forgotten what a poor city performance looks like

larry_david

I noticed everything we had it out wide, Godden made the dart into the 6 yard box. Wright dropped back onto the edge of the area, just like his goal against Boro. I think this will work for both those strikers.

slowpoke

Any away point we have to be happy with, performance overall okay we looked in control most of the game.
One criticism from me is lack of shots, can’t remember one from our midfield, lot of possession and passing generally good but it’s shots that win games. Still not sure about our midfield Eccles and Sheaf both really good players individually but not sure yet as a pairing.
Liked Saka thought he gave us a bit of pace something I thing our middle of the park lacks imo.

AFCCOVENTRY

Looking at the Swans goal. It wasn’t a case the ball just went over JDS. Issue was he wasn’t tight enough to him and the player got away for the cross. The annoying part was what Fadz did when the ball came into the box. He was at one point with Yates and then decided to move away from him to go behind but completely lost Yates. Had he stayed where he was in front of Yates as the cross came in he would have headed the ball away.

Tommo1993

Has it been said that the ‘performance’ was poor? Don’t necessarily think it was. I do however think we took a negative approach into the second half and the game just lacked in general. I know people have said we just need time to click, but it’s vital we keep recruiting before it closes.

shmmeee

Not read all of this so forgive me. How did we play ?

OK, faded a bit and fairly toothless in the final third. But we got 60% possession away to Swansea which is unheard of and deservedly went ahead.

Clearly it’s going to take time to get the business end of the pitch right. We’ve gone from quick counters with Gus and Vik to possession based football with a much more technically capable side.

I’m excited for when it clicks TBH.

CV22SBA

Looking at the Swans goal. It wasn’t a case the ball just went over JDS. Issue was he wasn’t tight enough to him and the player got away for the cross. The annoying part was what Fadz did when the ball came into the box. He was at one point with Yates and then decided to move away from him to go behind but completely lost Yates. Had he stayed where he was in front of Yates as the cross came in he would have headed the ball away.
Yates looked really sharp and forced quite a few mistakes out of Fadz. I never got what the fuss about him was at Blackpool but I think In a better team he’s a better player. One that got away if we were really after him.

Mucca Mad Boys

Yates looked really sharp and forced quite a few mistakes out of Fadz. I never got what the fuss about him was at Blackpool but I think In a better team he’s a better player. One that got away if we were really after him.

Agree, he did look good. My concern would be that Father Time will catch up to McFadz this season (yes, been the case for 2-3 seasons now) - we need to be prepared. I wouldn’t panic, Simms is 4-5 years younger than Yates and even if he’s not better right now, he probably has a higher ceiling.

Sky Blue Pete

Agreed

Covcraig@bury

OK, faded a bit and fairly toothless in the final third. But we got 60% possession away to Swansea which is unheard of and deservedly went ahead.

Clearly it’s going to take time to get the business end of the pitch right. We’ve gone from quick counters with Gus and Vik to possession based football with a much more technically capable side.

I’m excited for when it clicks TBH.
Bring on Scumberland

fernandopartridge

We had a lot of possession but let's be honest a lot of it in our own half, we just missed that extra bit in midfield to maybe drive forward with the ball from deep. We looked much better when we moved the ball quickly but the options were not always there to do it.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
We had a lot of possession but let's be honest a lot of it in our own half, we just missed that extra bit in midfield to maybe drive forward with the ball from deep. We looked much better when we moved the ball quickly but the options were not always there to do it.

Wright was making some really clever runs but we just ended up stopping and going backwards.

Hutch11

Wright was making some really clever runs but we just ended up stopping and going backwards.
The number of times he pointed to where he wanted it but it never came , once we mix our play up with a few longer passes he's going to benefit greatly

Nick

Administrator
The number of times he pointed to where he wanted it but it never came , once we mix our play up with a few longer passes he's going to benefit greatly
Exactly he kept losing the defender and making the run and pointing and shouting for it but we didn't even try .

Mucca Mad Boys

I agree with @Nick where there were runs being made by Wright in particular (but also Godden and Simms) but the build was too slow.

If they haven’t got the range of passing, that’s fine but we need players who have got those attributes. Which I’m sure MR is aware of and working on.

Hobo

I agree with @Nick where there were runs being made by Wright in particular (but also Godden and Simms) but the build was too slow.

If they haven’t got the range of passing, that’s fine but we need players who have got those attributes. Which I’m sure MR is aware of and working on.
Yes, also it is about players getting to know each other and what runs they make. If you don't pick the pass at the right moment the opportunity is gone within a second.

We need another option in midfield (although we have had glimpses of what Palmer and O'Hare might do together). Things will improve with time, the new squad needs time.

Offhegoes

Glad to see we have returned to our clever passing game, instead of the route one to Vik style. Some of our football was absolutely superb yesterday, without creating those crystal clear chances. Swansea and Leicester away are probably 2 of the toughest games of the season, and we should of won both. I think we missed Palmer yesterday.
Still, with the promise of new faces in the next 10-11 days, and O'Hare's imminent return, we are going to be some team. Heard someone say on the phone in last night we will win the league. Wouldn't bet against that.

Mucca Mad Boys

Yes, also it is about players getting to know each other and what runs they make. If you don't pick the pass at the right moment the opportunity is gone within a second.

We need another option in midfield (although we have had glimpses of what Palmer and O'Hare might do together). Things will improve with time, the new squad needs time.

Agreed on both points. I think there’s a lot of potential in our team and 1-2 players in the starting team from being real contenders.

If we can get a player like Hamer in, even someone who needs 1-2 seasons to get there, we’ll be laughing.

Ooh Ah

Yeah it wont be a ground il be in a rush go back to. Went a few years ago and forgot how long of a journey it is. You get to cardiff on the M4 and you still have a hour to go. On top of that 1 kiosk to serve 2000 fans is pretty shite. Got a beer pre game, didnt even think of trying at half time.
Harsh. Really enjoyed yesterday. Chatted to Swans fans going in and coming out of the ground, decent bunch who know their football and aware of what we have been through. Great drink down the Marina, parked 15 mins from ground for free near a cracking chippy. Tidy ground, stewards friendly and Swansea fans generated a decent atmosphere.
Availability of food and drink in the stand was poor but I rarely bother as tends to be the same in most grounds. Only complaint is the Swansea players dark arts, went down so easily and tend to leave the foot in - have been the same for last few seasons.
When our passing game clicks, we will 'shred' a few teams this year.

Sky Blue Harry H

Heard someone say on the phone in last night we will win the league. Wouldn't bet against that.
DM me if you want a punt (and I'm a die hard optimist). It will be Saints or Leicester - although (incomings /injuries dependent) we have a reasonable chance of top 6. Think Hull might be dark horses.

Users who are viewing this thread