Match ThreadĀ Swansea City - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 19th Aug (1 Viewer)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I see that

And I raise you Ben Sheaf

Despite playing very well last week, he wasn't very good against Leicester.

I think we need to give it a bit more time before we blow hot air up players arses. Same applied for writing them off too. We've only had two games and should probably keep a level head. I'm actually very curious to see what our settled team will look like in a couple of months.
Ā 

Saddlebrains

I think we need to give it a bit more time before we blow hot air up players arses. Same applied for writing them off too. We've only had two games and should probably keep a level head. I'm actually very curious to see what our settled team will look like in a couple of months.

Hes been class for years now
Ā 
Reactions: SBT

Londonccfcfan

Are they still playing the same style under Duff?
Was thinking that too. Just going by the possession stats of their last 2 games I'd say it's the same style..slightly less possession compared to last year but still about 60%.

Martin's taken a couple of players with him I think.

Play the same team.
Ā 

TomRad85

I think Sheaf might just about have been here long enough for people to form an opinion.
Ā 

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I think Sheaf might just about have been here long enough for people to form an opinion.

Well people certainly get sore when there is any analysis of his weak points, that's for sure. Not sure why he is such a protected species, because any time anyone mentions that he did something wrong, or had an off game, there is denial and bedwetting.

That doesn't mean there is a witch hunt either. He can be excellent, as we saw against Middlesbrough, and he has certainly improved a lot since day one. He also however, still has the moments where he switches off. If we get a Hamer replacement in who can also score goals, his position may well be under threat because we have a stronger squad by the day and there won't be room for anybody in second position. This place will then no doubt go into meltdown, but it should be seen as a good thing.

I actually don't think anyone's position in the team is safe this year and that level of competition will in all likeliness make us better.
Ā 

shmmeee

Id take this a lot more seriously if the same people hadnā€™t spent time telling us Maddison, Hamer and Gyokeres were all shit.

Edit: and Oā€™Hare of course!
Ā 

shmmeee

I mean, do we really think the problem out players have is overconfidence? Just need to knock ā€˜em down a peg or two and theyā€™ll be flying?

Whatā€™s wrong with saying you rate a player?
Ā 

Terry_dactyl

Got myself a ticket for this match, and the Proclaimers have announced theyā€™re cancelling their Swansea gig the night before.
Apparently Charlie (your guess is as good as mine) has a bad throat.
Therefore no proclaimers gig for me and Ms Dā€¦and the proclaimers.
Win Win!

Iā€™m taking it as a good omenā€¦Twin Town was set in Swansea, the proclaimers are twins. ā€˜Letter from Americaā€™ one of their songs, Liberty Stadium/Land of Liberty (America)ā€¦=Haji Wright hattrick and Cov win.
ā€˜Sunshine on Leathā€™ another one of their songsā€¦rhymes with Ben Sheaf.

Itā€™s all there if you open your eyes. Do your research people!
Ā 

Macca1987

Terry love the Proclaimers workings, onwards and upwards, you do know you'll now have to do justification for each match now, not all about the Proclaimers though
Ā 

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Id take this a lot more seriously if the same people hadnā€™t spent time telling us Maddison, Hamer and Gyokeres were all shit.

I mean, do we really think the problem out players have is overconfidence? Just need to knock ā€˜em down a peg or two and theyā€™ll be flying?

Whatā€™s wrong with saying you rate a player?

I'm not sure what you are trying to say in all honesty. Who's saying the players are overconfident? Who is knocking them down?

We've got posters on here effectively saying they don't want a Hamer replacement because it might be an upgrade on Sheaf. It is a really strange attitude to have, and whilst the player has improved and played very well at the weekend, he was well under-par against Leicester and still last season was having lapses in concentration. He even admits himself he doesn't score enough too. Say that out loud though and people put their fingers in their ears and pull funny faces like infants.

It's about having a balanced debate. You can still rate a player and identify where there can be improvements. My point is that if we bring someone in that is better - they should be playing, especially if form dictates. There isn't any sentiments for favourites. As I said previously, having that level of competition should in theory make us stronger. I genuinely cannot see where the problem is with that.
Ā 

covcity4life

Jacob Murray!!

But don't wanna pile in cos he actually has a point about how this forum won't allow any criticism at all without turning it into "well you must hate them and hate when they play well" etc

Happened with Allen. Happening with Godden currently. Needs to stop or this forum will just be same as twitter and Facebook. We gotta be better than that!
Ā 

SBT

No matter what the guy himself says, taking issue with Ben Sheaf for not scoring enough gives me major FORWARD vibes
Ā 

twistandshout

Had a little look at the WBA game and on their forum, they donā€™t seem too happy at the moment. No one is bidding on Piroe either. Might be a good time to play them. Still itā€™s Swansea so we wonā€™t beat them.

Going 2-2 (Simms, Eccles)

Assuming no signings (if signed):

Wilson
Thomas Fadz Latibeaudiere (Kitching)
van Ewijk Eccles Sheaf Dasilva
Palmer
Wright Godden

S: Collins, Binks, Sakamoto, Kelly, Bidwell, Simms, Eghosa, Andrews, Obikwu (if signings: Latibeaudiere, Styles, new CM replacing kids)
Simms to start simply because he has been with us longer and is ahead in what is expected of him.
How we play.
Ā 

shmmeee

I'm not sure what you are trying to say in all honesty. Who's saying the players are overconfident? Who is knocking them down?

We've got posters on here effectively saying they don't want a Hamer replacement because it might be an upgrade on Sheaf. It is a really strange attitude to have, and whilst the player has improved and played very well at the weekend, he was well under-par against Leicester and still last season was having lapses in concentration. He even admits himself he doesn't score enough too. Say that out loud though and people put their fingers in their ears and pull funny faces like infants.

It's about having a balanced debate. You can still rate a player and identify where there can be improvements. My point is that if we bring someone in that is better - they should be playing, especially if form dictates. There isn't any sentiments for favourites. As I said previously, having that level of competition should in theory make us stronger. I genuinely cannot see where the problem is with that.

But itā€™s only having a balanced debate to say theyā€™re rubbish, not that theyā€™re good (being facetious here obvs)?

I havenā€™t seen the sentiment that we shouldnā€™t replace Hamer widely expressed TBH. But there does seem to be a strain of thought here that none of our players are any good and if anyone say so we must have a detailed discussion of their short comings and how actually theyā€™re lucky to even play in the division. It all gets a bit tiresome sometimes.
Ā 

TomRad85

But itā€™s only having a balanced debate to say theyā€™re rubbish, not that theyā€™re good (being facetious here obvs)?

I havenā€™t seen the sentiment that we shouldnā€™t replace Hamer widely expressed TBH. But there does seem to be a strain of thought here that none of our players are any good and if anyone say so we must have a detailed discussion of their short comings and how actually theyā€™re lucky to even play in the division. It all gets a bit tiresome sometimes.
Only the 3 relegated teams have a better set of players and Leeds might well not by the end of this window the way its going for them. Also we are likely to improve further before the end of the window... This is the best group we've had since Prem relegation and promotion in my eyes is a very realistic possibility.
Ā 

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I think that is just your perception to be honest. The mood, I feel at least, has been really positive. Despite losing in the playoff final, and losing our best two players, it seems to me the general atmosphere is pretty upbeat. We have made some great signings and I believe we will be even stronger within the next week or two. Any negativity feels pretty subdued right now.

As I said, the discourse isn't to slam players as one extreme or another, it is just to be realistic and fair. Wilson wasn't anywhere near as bad as some made him out to be, neither was Panzo or BNC. The same way Vik had his flaws, and Sheaf isn't as world class or irreplaceable as some are currently trying to make out. If a better CM comes in, he may well lose his place. See - I love my missus, but sometimes she can still be a twat. You don't have to die on one hill or another, and I find that concept the most tiresome.
Ā 

Great_Expectations

I honestly donā€™t get this take (again).

No, this isnā€™t because Sheaf is a ā€˜protected speciesā€™ but because heā€™s been here a few seasons and incrementally improved each one. We are transitioning to being a footballing team again and he is pivotal to that, especially while we await a creative Hamer type presence.

For a long time he was actually underrated on here, as he was often overshadowed by Hamer and other more ā€œexcitingā€ players. Heā€™s an understated player so itā€™s not a surprise.

I have an element of bias as I appreciate players who always want the ball, are comfortable receiving it in tight spaces and recycle it well. Yep, he makes the odd mistake but talk of his place being in doubt is mental.

Genuinely no offence ESB as appreciate Iā€™ve countered your view on this before, but itā€™s a bonkers take IMO.
Ā 

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

No, this isnā€™t because Sheaf is a ā€˜protected speciesā€™ but because heā€™s been here a few seasons and incrementally improved each one. We are transitioning to being a footballing team again and he is pivotal to that, especially while we await a creative Hamer type presence.

For a long time he was actually underrated on here, as he was often overshadowed by Hamer and other more ā€œexcitingā€ players. Heā€™s an understated player so itā€™s not a surprise.

I have an element of bias as I appreciate players who always want the ball, are comfortable receiving it in tight spaces and recycle it well. Yep, he makes the odd mistake but talk of his place being in doubt is mental.

Genuinely no offence ESB as appreciate Iā€™ve countered your view on this before, but itā€™s a bonkers take IMO.

Don't get me wrong, at present his place isn't in doubt at all. He was really impressive against Middlesbrough and we have seen he can do that last season as well. It probably says something that him and Eccles had the best games we have seen from them in some time once Hamer wasn't there. They stepped up.

My point is, we have money to spend and will be bringing in stronger central midfielders. Let's say we sign a new Hamer, who's vision and goal contributions are up there, whilst doing all the dirty stuff too. At that point then someone in centraal midfield is going to lose their place. Where we disagree is probably at where Sheaf is rated. I think some people are going over time at the moment to try and make out he is better than Pirlo and whilst he may have been underrated before (which I can appreciate), it has now gone the other way. The reality for me is somewhere in the middle. Keep playing like this and he will be a massive asset this season for sure, but we have to acknowledge that if we sign stronger players, he might not be a guaranteed starter each week unless he keeps that level of performance up. Pull a game like he did at Leicester and there's a chance he's getting dropped. I don't see how that is a bonkers view, because to me the notion that he is essentially undroppable probably qualifies for that better.

Appreciate your point of view, and thanks for putting your points across respectfully, got no issue with that.
Ā 

SkyBlueGuy

I get what you are saying regarding balance of opinion (things do seem to lurch wildly from one extreme to another at times!), But I'd say for Ben Sheaf to lose his place, we have to bring in two seriously good CM/CDMs. He's got to be one of the first names on the team sheet at the moment. He makes some mistakes, but no more than our other key players did/do. I'd say he made about the same per game as Hamer (albeit in slightly different places on the pitch). Not saying I wouldn't be happy with signing to more great players!
Ā 

Ccfcisparks

Don't get me wrong, at present his place isn't in doubt at all. He was really impressive against Middlesbrough and we have seen he can do that last season as well. It probably says something that him and Eccles had the best games we have seen from them in some time once Hamer wasn't there. They stepped up.

My point is, we have money to spend and will be bringing in stronger central midfielders. Let's say we sign a new Hamer, who's vision and goal contributions are up there, whilst doing all the dirty stuff too. At that point then someone in centraal midfield is going to lose their place. Where we disagree is probably at where Sheaf is rated. I think some people are going over time at the moment to try and make out he is better than Pirlo and whilst he may have been underrated before (which I can appreciate), it has now gone the other way. The reality for me is somewhere in the middle. Keep playing like this and he will be a massive asset this season for sure, but we have to acknowledge that if we sign stronger players, he might not be a guaranteed starter each week unless he keeps that level of performance up. Pull a game like he did at Leicester and there's a chance he's getting dropped. I don't see how that is a bonkers view, because to me the notion that he is essentially undroppable probably qualifies for that better.

Appreciate your point of view, and thanks for putting your points across respectfully, got no issue with that.
Lets be honest, if it comes to dropping a midfielder if a new signing comes in its going to be Eccles rather than Sheaf isn't it.

I'd suggest Sheaf is the only player in the squad where his place in the starting line up is guaranteed.
Ā 

Boicey

I just don't want us to get overrun in midfield. It happens too often. Palmer needs to show he's more than just a luxury player, else get someone like Saka in away from home to offer some wide threat and put some defensive yards in.
We also don't want an anonymous Godden away game he needs to be involved. Hopefully, his confidence is reasonable high.
Ā 

Users who are viewing this thread