Match Thread Swindon Town - Coventry City Match Thread - Tuesday 26th Sep (1 Viewer)

smileycov

Facebook User
But isn't this the same as a few seasons ago? A great striker who isn't ours???
Difference being imo, we have biamou and ponti behind and learning. Also mcnulty who looks decent- back up and strength in depth for a change

Covstu

Difference being imo, we have biamou and ponti behind and learning. Also mcnulty who looks decent- back up and strength in depth for a change
Agree the team around is better and more stable but I think people still think he is ours. January could be a different picture if wolves call him home

vow

But isn't this the same as a few seasons ago? A great striker who isn't ours???
If you're referring to Armstrong, yes quite right Stu! However as smileycov mentioned we have decent back up, up top atm and an improving manager in MR with a solid recruitment policy, unlike Mowbray who mainly brought in loans and missed loads of targets last season, we have perm. signings, most of which are on 2 year deals.

I understand where you're coming from though, Stu, but don't press that panic button just yet ;)

Covstu

If you're referring to Armstrong, yes quite right Stu! However as smileycov mentioned we have decent back up, up top atm and an improving manager in MR with a solid recruitment policy, unlike Mowbray who mainly brought in loans and missed loads of targets last season, we have perm. signings, most of which are on 2 year deals.

I understand where you're coming from though, Stu, but don't press that panic button just yet ;)
I'm not fella but we have been on this high under TM! I am positive that we have better structure in the team but I think January's business will be key for us and the other chasers. Equally injuries will play another major part as we have already found out

Reactions: vow

Grendel

Attacking wise we really rely on one player and that's our potential Achilles Heal

Mucca Mad Boys

McNulty is a 1 in 3 striker in L2. With the team playing better of late, I think he'll start banging in some goals and agree with Robins' that he'll be a 15+ goal a season striker.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

But he is right...
if we lose jones, we will be fucked.
Fucked ! that's a bit strong ! We still have Jordan Ponticelli and others to come into the team if needed !

skybluegod

Fucked ! that's a bit strong ! We still have Jordan Ponticelli and others to come into the team if needed !

Ponticelli in for jones? Interesting choice...
Probably one of the ones that then complains when we play players out of position?
About 75% of our goals this year have come through jones, either through direct or very large contributions. Sadly we have nobody else in our squad who is similar to style or quality of him.
Happy to be proven wrong if one of the kids steps up, but we are very much reliant on jones at this moment in time.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

He's not ready yet in my opinion. If Jones goes that's us done for.
He's not ready [ Ponticelli ] they were saying that about Jones only last season and some said he's not good enough !
If and when Jones goes it will not be the end of the world ! it will give some one else a chance . In my opinion .

Ranjit Bhurpa

Ponticelli in for jones? Interesting choice...
Probably one of the ones that then complains when we play players out of position?
About 75% of our goals this year have come through jones, either through direct or very large contributions. Sadly we have nobody else in our squad who is similar to style or quality of him.
Happy to be proven wrong if one of the kids steps up, but we are very much reliant on jones at this moment in time.
Agree with you, however we are evolving slowly and most of these players have only had ten games together. At the start of the season, who would have thought that Jones would be playing such a pivotal role in the team?
I'm sure Robins is well aware of our limitations and is prepared for opposition teams sussing Jones out or injuries, suspension or loss of form.
I'm also sure that there are other players in the squad who can and will step up to the plate over the coming weeks and months.

skybluegod

Agree with you, however we are evolving slowly and most of these players have only had ten games together. At the start of the season, who would have thought that Jones would be playing such a pivotal role in the team?
I'm sure Robins is well aware of our limitations and is prepared for opposition teams sussing Jones out or injuries, suspension or loss of form.
I'm also sure that there are other players in the squad who can and will step up to the plate over the coming weeks and months.

I’m not doubting the rest of the team, their are some good players.
But I think most fans saw at the start of the season we were short on wingers, and especially players with pace.
If we lose Jones and Nazon goes back in January, that’s the two quickest players in the squad gone.
I’m not panicking. But we are at this moment overall reliant on jones.
Will be glad to be proven wrong as I say, but if we lose jones without replacing him adequately then I don’t see us getting promoted.

Esoterica

But I think most fans saw at the start of the season we were short on wingers, and especially players with pace.
If we lose Jones and Nazon goes back in January, that’s the two quickest players in the squad gone.
Will be glad to be proven wrong as I say, but if we lose jones without replacing him adequately then I don’t see us getting promoted.
We'd definitely have to play a different style and shape. Maybe a diamond with Beavon or DKE at the tip and Biamou and McNulty up top or a 4-3-3 with Vincenti playing a bit more centrally with Doyle and Kelly and getting into the box more. It doesn't feel very inspiring though and Jones would definitely be a massive loss.

Mucca Mad Boys

We’ve got Reid out on loan, he’s got 3 in 6 so far, I imagine that he’ll probably want to come back and give his all for Cov as I imagine we’ll be aiming for automatic promotion and Colchester aren’t doing great so far. Maybe he’s on loan till Jan for this reason - give him some perspective and a reality check.

Last edited:

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Don't laugh but if we had to we could play one of the Kelly Evans twins on the wing , I know they haven't got the trickery of Jones but they have pace !!!

robbiekeane

We’ve got Reid out on loan, he’s got 3 in 6 so far, I imagine that he’ll probably want to come back and give his all for Cov as I imagine we’ll be aiming for automatic promotion and Colchester aren’t doing great so far. Maybe he’s on loan till Jan for this reason - give him some perspective and a reality check.
Fuck him. Never want to see him in a city shirt again

Cavan O'Doherty

He's not ready [ Ponticelli ] they were saying that about Jones only last season and some said he's not good enough !
If and when Jones goes it will not be the end of the world ! it will give some one else a chance . In my opinion .
Those people were right, he was not ready for league one last season. Now he's dropped down a level he seems to have found his feet.

skybluegod

Really? I don’t think he will play for cov again. I don’t think robins would let him. There is a reason nobody wanted him.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Those people were right, he was not ready for league one last season. Now he's dropped down a level he seems to have found his feet.
That's alright then , we don't have to worry about another club from Div 1 making a bid for him in the transfer window !
We have done that the last 2 games? DKE is a different type of player to Jones.
Read post #650, I said the DKE twins were a different type of a player to Jones .
QUOTE : I know they haven't got the TRICKERY of Jones !

Cavan O'Doherty

That's alright then , we don't have to worry about another club from Div 1 making a bid for him in the transfer window !

Read post #650, I said the DKE twins were a different type of a player to Jones .
QUOTE : I know they haven't got the TRICKERY of Jones !
He could be ready now but last season he wasn't. Needed to drop down a level before hand.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

He could be ready now but last season he wasn't. Needed to drop down a level before hand.
Or maybe it has something to do with Mark Robins and his coaching staff witch is why we are seeing an improvement in Jones !!!

Cavan O'Doherty

Or maybe it has something to do with Mark Robins and his coaching staff witch is why we are seeing an improvement in Jones !!!
Maybe. I'm just saying that the people who said he wasn't ready last year were right. Mind you, it doesn't help when you're being told what to do by Slade does it!

Grendel

Maybe. I'm just saying that the people who said he wasn't ready last year were right. Mind you, it doesn't help when you're being told what to do by Slade does it!

Or Mowbray.

Grendel

If he said mowbray you would not have replied "or slade"

Sad

But true

What's sad is you are on the hunt for any posts they are negative about old Tone.

Jones has made improvements that are definitely down to Robins. His defensive work noticeably is better and he is much fitter and stronger

Users who are viewing this thread