The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (60 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Astute

Well the tories are still occasionally using the look what we inherited line so he should be able to get away with it for at least a decade.
What the Tories say and what the public think are not the same.

Years of having the UK fucked up by the Tories could mean Labour voters expect a quick turnaround. Look at those saying Starmer isn't the one although there isn't a line of people better. We will have those same ones who are Labour voters waiting to say they were right about Starmer if things don't improve quickly.

Grendel

So using your argument about manifesto's mentioning rejoining the EU not being a vote winner, if the public didn't want Maastricht surely at least one of them would have taken the plunge to say they weren't going to do it? So as they all did put it in, every single one must have been confident of it being a popular stance, or at the very least not unpopular enough to hamper their chances of election?

that’s exactly my point - so if leaving the eu was so unpopular stick it in the manifesto to return - win by a landslide

Astute

Just looking at the top of the page says leave had more votes on here .. my vote would be different now for starters
I know of people living in an EU country or were planning to move to one who voted leave thinking it wouldn't make any difference to them. Some even did it as they didn't want more from the UK moving in.

Grendel

What’s the Lib Dem stance on the eu these days?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

that’s exactly my point - so if leaving the eu was so unpopular stick it in the manifesto to return - win by a landslide
Fair enough. I agree that it wouldn't be a vote winner, even though I think it would be a policy that would be better for the U.K. overall if we could rejoin on similar terms.

Many of those that voted leave last time will either still have the same perceptions on whatever it was they didn't like before, and those that were fooled by the misrepresentations, half truths and falsehoods last time would more than likely fall for a whole new set of them this time. There would undoubtedly be some who just couldn't bear to vote differently and be seen to have been wrong and would stick with it to the very bitter end regardless of how bad the situation became, refusing to accept Brexit was the reason

But my point was that it was argued that supposedly we've been hating what the EU was becoming for a long time and how it has become more than a trading bloc, but all the parties supported Maastricht. If we truly thought the EU was overreaching its desired aims, surely at least one party would have the stance of being against a treaty which seemed to show it was doing exactly that? Which suggests displeasure among the UK electorate about the EU wasn't as strong as was suggested.

Astute

Your travelling around in a camper van aren’t you?
We will be. Minimum school holidays are 2 weeks in France. Motorhome will always be packed and ready to go.

My 21 year old daughter is already looking at buying a house with her boyfriend. They have a budget of €60,000. That will get them a 3 bed detached house in a nice area.

Astute

Well the tories are still occasionally using the look what we inherited line so he should be able to get away with it for at least a decade.
I'm talking about Labour voters. The problem we usually have with Labour is there are two sides to the party.

Those that are so left they nearly fall off the edge. They never listen to anything except their ideals. They will never get voted in as those from the middle all the way to the right would never vote for them.

Then you have the more moderate rest. They can get the vote of the normal Tory voters who are disillusioned. But we have a major problem. Those I stated above seem to hate the thought of them nearly as much as the Tories. So we then have constant slanging matches. This pushes those unsure back to the Tories. And I'm not on about this site. I'm on about the UK as a whole.

Wee Krankie has done Labour a massive favour by going against what the vast majority wants. We will gain a lot of votes in Scotland. But we have a major problem. Rayner is shouting for the same that Wee krankie proposed. If she continues a lot of people yet again will see us as unvotable.

And those on the far left of the party will either back her or seem not to care. And I will yet again be accused of being a Tory for pointing it out.

Astute

Fair enough. I agree that it wouldn't be a vote winner, even though I think it would be a policy that would be better for the U.K. overall if we could rejoin on similar terms.

Many of those that voted leave last time will either still have the same perceptions on whatever it was they didn't like before, and those that were fooled by the misrepresentations, half truths and falsehoods last time would more than likely fall for a whole new set of them this time. There would undoubtedly be some who just couldn't bear to vote differently and be seen to have been wrong and would stick with it to the very bitter end regardless of how bad the situation became, refusing to accept Brexit was the reason
My guess would be most Tory voters would vote leave. Then the Labour voters would be split. That would hand it to the Tories.

How about those who voted leave because of the millions who came to the UK to live? Labour didn't build houses last time. They actually speeded up the right to buy as well so the poorer of us couldn't afford any of the remaining properties. This continues to push house prices up even when most can't afford it.

What also gets ignored is the trouble that comes with criminals that moved here. Top headlines used to be a seal stranded on the beach or somebody got caught with a bit of weed. About 5 years ago people started to get moved here as house prices and rent was cheap. People never knew about the place as its 45 minutes from the motorway. 1 road in and out. Now it is all drugs, stabbings and murders. We have nearly caught up with the rest of the UK. There was even a stabbing in the school that my youngest two would have been in if they never left the UK. But all this is ignored with those who have an opinion that it was all about the lies from the politicians. And you won't like me saying but they lied on both sides. I don't trust politicians on all sides now. We can't even come up with a candidate better than Starmer and many don't seem to want him either.

Then some wonder why it's been downhill for the UK for years 🙄

Sick Boy

So it turns out the crap about the EU needing the UK more than the other way around because the country buys car and cheese was a load of shite - what a surprise. 😂😂😂

Astute

Is that why you voted leave, out of interest?
Where did you get that from?

I always planned on living in France when I retired. Why would I have stopped what I wanted to do since I was 17?

The problem that you and several others have with me is I always look at all options/opinions even when my mind is made up 100%. You're not supposed to try and have a debate on here because the same old people show up and do a tag team attack.

Look at the truth. Still today after all these years the same lines come out. Brexit only happened because leave lied. But look what happens when you remind anyone that everyone lied. The truth isn't allowed.

Astute

So it turns out the crap about the EU needing the UK more than the other way around because the country buys car and cheese was a load of shite - what a surprise. 😂😂😂
We're still heavily involved with each other. It is trade and freedom of movement that has suffered the most.

I think that if we had freedom of movement again more people would leave than come here, and millions more would be coming.

Astute

Your posts saying you were voting leave.
Other than a slight wobble for a week or so when you were all on the total attack and seeing nothing but lies on here at the same time as when the fraudulent things from the EU were being exposed no.

Just like I have only ever voted Labour but couldn't bring myself to vote last time because there wasn't anyone worthy of my vote.

NorthernWisdom

ther than a slight wobble for a week or so when you were all on the total attack and seeing nothing but lies on here at the same time as when the fraudulent things from the EU were being exposed no.
The problem I have with you is the over-defensiveness when people ask a perfectly reasonable question on the back of posts from Steve and Evo. Steve voted leave, Evo voted leave, and are happy to say they've changed their mind. You, however, go into full victim mode and overly wordy bollocks, rather than just fronting it up.

It's really rather tiresome, this paranoia that this board is out to get you and full-on denial.

Astute

The problem I have with you is the over-defensiveness when people ask a perfectly reasonable question on the back of posts from Steve and Evo. Steve voted leave, Evo voted leave, and are happy to say they've changed their mind. You, however, go into full victim mode and overly wordy bollocks, rather than just fronting it up.

It's really rather tiresome, this paranoia that this board is out to get you and full-on denial.
Point out any time the same old people don't gang up and attack anyone who dares to say anything different to what is allowed to be said freely? Just like right now.

Astute

Don't be such a pathetic old woman.
Me pathetic?

OK you win. I voted to leave when I wanted to move to an EU country. Corbyn would have made a brilliant PM. It isn't the far left that keeps the Tories in and I always vote Tory.

Satisfied now?

Have fun

NorthernWisdom

Me pathetic?

OK you win. I voted to leave when I wanted to move to an EU country. Corbyn would have made a brilliant PM. It isn't the far left that keeps the Tories in and I always vote Tory.

Satisfied now?

Have fun
Didn't vote leave for your younger children after all then? That was just written for a laugh, then? So that therefore means that what you write now is the truth, because only you know the truth, but we're expected to distinguish that from when you write the lies? Fancy writing eleventy billion words about how I'm out to get you in conjunction with some other posters?

Brighton Sky Blue

Me pathetic?

Satisfied now?

Have fun

Sunderland voted Leave didn’t it?

skybluetony176

Story/Rumour doing the rounds this morning that Suella Braverman is threatening to resign if Sunak pursues his “fix” to the NI protocol.

At last. A tangible brexit benefit.

Then again if she was the best person they could find for Home Secretary how shit is the next person going to be?

Brighton Sky Blue

Story/Rumour doing the rounds this morning that Suella Braverman is threatening to resign if Sunak pursues his “fix” to the NI protocol.

Then again if she was the best person they could find for Home Secretary how shit is the next person going to be?

‘Jonathan Gullis is stripped off and warming up Clive, the crowd seem excited’

CCFCSteve

3-4% of inflation directly related to the decision to leave the eu

I’ve not seen anything that has been substantiated or even fully justified but did see someone from BoE say about 3% per annum food inflation, not total inflation. Not sure how when there are no tariffs and we’re not checking any goods until 2024 (so no extra cost for EU exporters caused by Brexit). Using some of the economists figures we’d have grown double the EU average and had half current inflation if we’d stayed in. probably would have no strikes and higher pay for all by now as well.. not forgetting no vacancies. A lot of the figures banded around just don’t add up when under challenge/scrutiny. That’s not doubting there has been various detrimental/negative impacts though but most of these pale into insignificance when compared to covid and the war, certainly in the short term

ps see what you’ve restarted Pete…hope you’re proud of yourself 😉

Grendel

We will be. Minimum school holidays are 2 weeks in France. Motorhome will always be packed and ready to go.

My 21 year old daughter is already looking at buying a house with her boyfriend. They have a budget of €60,000. That will get them a 3 bed detached house in a nice area.

How can any house in France be 60,000 Euros?

CCFCSteve

Bonus

Who does she think she it ?! Shes lucky to have a job

Reactions: PVA

Grendel

• Haha
Reactions: PVA

Grendel

But my point was that it was argued that supposedly we've been hating what the EU was becoming for a long time and how it has become more than a trading bloc, but all the parties supported Maastricht. If we truly thought the EU was overreaching its desired aims, surely at least one party would have the stance of being against a treaty which seemed to show it was doing exactly that? Which suggests displeasure among the UK electorate about the EU wasn't as strong as was suggested.

You are then also saying that now everyone is happy we left as no party wants to rejoin

skybluetony176

The Times had an article at the weekend about how in the UK the average house price is 8 times the average wage, highest ratio in Europe. In France it’s about 4 times the average wage IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread