The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (19 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skybluetony176

Interestingly, he was very keen to distance himself from the suggestion that he wanted a 'hard Brexit'.
He did seem very noncommittal at times to exactly what his group stands for. Glad someone else noticed it, I thought it was just me.

Grendel

Yes, and all forecasts cannot cover for all unknowns. But, the trend is us losing ground. I see Brexit and Trump screwing up a good run. The world seems to be doing relatively well but, Trump‘s tax reform giving too much to the rich and not enough to the wage earners together with more military spending, maybe a wall and infrastructure projects will take up a massive amount of money and hike the US debt causing interest rates to climb and more uncertainty. That coupled with Brexit in Europe hurting us and the EU can only put a spanner in the works...

So on the one hand the figures are a concern but on the other hand lambast Trumps strategy which is creating a higher growth forecast versus vertically all EU countries.

martcov

So on the one hand the figures are a concern but on the other hand lambast Trumps strategy which is creating a higher growth forecast versus vertically all EU countries.

Trump's strategy is at times chaotic and things are altered and pushed through with no time to even read them let alone analyse them. Even Rand Paul wasn't prepared to accept the latest last minute blag. This way of doing business is undemocratic and reckless. The government is shut down again because of it. Trump is being populist and feeding his base with little regard for the long term damage he could inflict. A bit like Farage or BoJo. The growth is being financed by the speculation that it can be sustained through tax revenue from increased productivity. It is dependentant on "trickle down" amongst other things. If he and his billionaire mates just stash their tax rebates and don't increase wages, then there could be problems financing the national debt. How can he pay for the wall, increase the military spending and give his mates large tax relief.... and manage the debt? I see this ending in tears, as has happened on other Trump Corporation ventures. His personal empire was only saved by selling property "no questions asked" to Russian "businessmen". Not the sort of person to be putting your trust in sustainable growth in.

Grendel

Trump's strategy is at times chaotic and things are altered and pushed through with no time to even read them let alone analyse them. Even Rand Paul wasn't prepared to accept the latest last minute blag. This way of doing business is undemocratic and reckless. The government is shut down again because of it. Trump is being populist and feeding his base with little regard for the long term damage he could inflict. A bit like Farage or BoJo. The growth is being financed by the speculation that it can be sustained through tax revenue from increased productivity. It is dependentant on "trickle down" amongst other things. If he and his billionaire mates just stash their tax rebates and don't increase wages, then there could be problems financing the national debt. How can he pay for the wall, increase the military spending and give his mates large tax relief.... and manage the debt? I see this ending in tears, as has happened on other Trump Corporation ventures. His personal empire was only saved by selling property "no questions asked" to Russian "businessmen". Not the sort of person to be putting your trust in sustainable growth in.

So you don’t believe the growth forecast then?

martcov

So you don’t believe the growth forecast then?

From The Balance:
President Trump promised to increase economic growth to 4 percent. That's faster than is healthy. Growth at that pace leads to an overconfident irrational exuberance. That creates a boom that leads to a damaging bust. Find out what causes these changes in the business cycle.

Overview
U.S. GDP growth will rise to 2.5 percent in 2018. It's the same as in 2017, but better than the 2.1 percent growth in 2016. The GDP growth rate will be 2.1 percent in 2019 and 2.0 percent in 2020. That's according to the most recent forecast released at the Federal Open Market Committee meeting on December 13, 2017. This estimate takes into account Trump's policies.

Yes, I do, but with the risk that it could go pear shaped - as they say here, through "irrational exuberance" and/ or irrational policies or chaos caused by trying to please his base.

Kingokings204

So all the things we've had, or could have had, while being a member of the European Union...

Ah the biggest lie we’ve heard for 40 years now. It’s all about trade we were told 40 years ago.

Just one example from the quote I said “I believe in nation states”

The very existence of the EU is to abolish nation states and become a United States of Europe with one border one currency one army and one government. One passport. One everything.

Just interested in how you see it?

Last edited:

Kingokings204

You make some good points but to say we are doing fine simply isn't true. Are wage contraction and growth are both appalling compared to other major economies in the case of wage contraction and compared to other G7 countries in the case of growth.
I accept that may not all be down to brexit. It's. certainly only one of multiple factors in the car industry.

Fair enough. I think we are doing okay at the moment. The increase in rates that the Bank of England warned yesterday will rise quicker than thought is because wages are finally starting to increase now. Which we can all agree is good news.

Kingokings204

Did you miss the bit from Carney about us not performing as well as the rest of the G7? 1% less growth because of Brexit rising to 2% by 2020? His forecast not as bad as some others. And holding back on rate rises?

That maybe true. Yes. However we have so much uncertainty in this country from our current government that this doesn’t help. We need clear and concise direction that currently isn’t being delivered.

clint van damme

Fair enough. I think we are doing okay at the moment. The increase in rates that the Bank of England warned yesterday will rise quicker than thought is because wages are finally starting to increase now. Which we can all agree is good news.

it's the only bit of good news financially for some time and probably more important than the growth because the wealth created by GDP doesn't necessarily find its way to the people that need it most. However we've still got a bit of catching up to do considering we were down with Greece and Italy in terms of wage contraction but a good sign all the same.

Having said that about GDP, I still think lagging behind the rest of the G7 is a worry.

Kingokings204

it's the only bit of good news financially for some time and probably more important than the growth because the wealth created by GDP doesn't necessarily find its way to the people that need it most. However we've still got a bit of catching up to do considering we were down with Greece and Italy in terms of wage contraction but a good sign all the same.

Having said that about GDP, I still think lagging behind the rest of the G7 is a worry.

Yes it is and it certainly isn’t all rosey. My main opinion on it is the current government being so uncertain and things so up in the air people and businesses can’t plan hence the forecasts not being great.

martcov

Yes it is and it certainly isn’t all rosey. My main opinion on it is the current government being so uncertain and things so up in the air people and businesses can’t plan hence the forecasts not being great.

Yes, but that all stems from the same thing. The referendum was a yes - no decision. You can’t make a „life changing“ decision on such a complicated subject with a yes - no question to people who don’t really know what the vote entails.

The referendum was a joke. Sadly for the U.K..

martcov

Ah the biggest lie we’ve heard for 40 years now. It’s all about trade we were told 40 years ago.

Just one example from the quote I said “I believe in nation states”

The very existence of the EU is to abolish nation states and become a United States of Europe with one border one currency one army and one government. One passport. One everything.

Just interested in how you see it?

You mean similar, but more democratic, than the U.K.? England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland - 4 nations as one entity?

No wars ( troubles excepted ) for over two hundred years. A member of the G7. One currency, one army, one foreign policy.... one blue passport... one everything? You don’t want the extended version? Putting wars into the past and bringing prosperity and peace to 500 million people. A historic achievement.

Or you would rather follow the tossers - Gove BoJo Mogg Farage?

Kingokings204

You mean similar, but more democratic, than the U.K.? England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland - 4 nations as one entity?

No wars ( troubles excepted ) for over two hundred years. A member of the G7. One currency, one army, one foreign policy.... one blue passport... one everything? You don’t want the extended version? Putting wars into the past and bringing prosperity and peace to 500 million people. A historic achievement.

Or you would rather follow the tossers - Gove BoJo Mogg Farage?

I’ve told you before if people believe in the EU and abolish nation states that’s fine and many people including you do. However I think more people want to have nation states and be their own country whilst we work and co operate with the rest of the world to tackle pollution and poverty etc.

We certainly don’t have to be signed up to a political union with an anthem a flag. A currency an army, one border. One government.

martcov

I’ve told you before if people believe in the EU and abolish nation states that’s fine and many people including you do. However I think more people want to have nation states and be their own country whilst we work and co operate with the rest of the world to tackle pollution and poverty etc.

We certainly don’t have to be signed up to a political union with an anthem a flag. A currency an army, one border. One government.

Actually, you do, otherwise nothing will happen. United we stand, divided we fall. We had hundreds of years of nation states. 1945 Europe lay in ruins and that was the end of the concept of nation states. Now we have Trump, Bannon, Erdogan and Brexit. No, not for me. United Europe or bust...

Grendel

Actually, you do, otherwise nothing will happen. United we stand, divided we fall. We had hundreds of years of nation states. 1945 Europe lay in ruins and that was the end of the concept of nation states. Now we have Trump, Bannon, Erdogan and Brexit. No, not for me. United Europe or bust...

Outside the Europe cartel every other country is a “nation state” you paranoid lunatic.

Captain Dart

Meanwhile in Berlin the Germans are united.

martcov

80 million Germans and you pick a clip of young men in a group feeling cocky and misbehaving as an example of disunity. Surprised you didn’t find any reports of right wing Dynamo Dresden Fans dressed in military uniforms terrorising people to add balance to your arguments.

Anyway, as a citizen of Brexit Britain you should have a look around you and see what a divided country looks like before desperately trying to find something anti Muslim to post.

Why don’t you post some Farage crap as an example of divisiveness?

clint van damme

Lat time I was in Berlin I met some young Syrians, about 17/18, who had been taken from the war zone on some sort of promising student scheme and relocated to Germany.

They were gushing in their praise of Germany, the Germans and what the country had done for them.
I didn't film them and put them on Twitter though, though even if I had, just like your clip it really wouldn't have proved anything.

Captain Dart

80 million Germans and you pick a clip of young men in a group feeling cocky and misbehaving as an example of disunity. Surprised you didn’t find any reports of right wing Dynamo Dresden Fans dressed in military uniforms terrorising people to add balance to your arguments.

Anyway, as a citizen of Brexit Britain you should have a look around you and see what a divided country looks like before desperately trying to find something anti Muslim to post.

Why don’t you post some Farage crap as an example of divisiveness?

Clips like that are easy to find.

martcov

Clips like that are easy to find.

Yes, because these people collect them by scouring the news for 'muslim crime'. In the 70s I saw USA Nazi papers that had pages for 'black crime'. The NF in the 70s had the same thing in their paper - the same NF that was at that time admired by Farage accoring to his teachers and classmates. If I wanted to, I could scour the internet for 'white crime', but why would I do that?

Grendel

I’m amazed this thread hasn’t been redirected today by the Eurocrats showing how a united Europe prevents extremism - given the Italian elections.

martcov

I’m amazed this thread hasn’t been redirected today by the Eurocrats showing how a united Europe prevents extremism - given the Italian elections.

It doesn’t prevent extremism. It is democratic. Unfortunately the populists are selling blue skies and a lot of disillusioned people are buying it.... at the moment. Up to Macron and Merkel to steer the ship clear of the rocks. Tragic that people have forgotten why the idea of a united Europe became a necessity. Trump is leading the way into ultra nationalistic ideas. The trade wars are good tweet shows how ridiculous things are. He may have well have said black is white. Pure crazy. In Italy the crazies are now around half the country. Not good.

Sick Boy

The only true eurosceptic in the Italian elections is Salvini who has previously been full of praise for Brexit. He's most certainly someone I'd much rather be on the other side of the fence from.

Grendel

It doesn’t prevent extremism. It is democratic. Unfortunately the populists are selling blue skies and a lot of disillusioned people are buying it.... at the moment. Up to Macron and Merkel to steer the ship clear of the rocks. Tragic that people have forgotten why the idea of a united Europe became a necessity. Trump is leading the way into ultra nationalistic ideas. The trade wars are good tweet shows how ridiculous things are. He may have well have said black is white. Pure crazy. In Italy the crazies are now around half the country. Not good.

Nothing to do with trump is it? Unlike you many people in Europe see the euro project for what it is. Stealing identity and stealing hope for many at the expense of the bloated greedy few.

The only reason for this rise across Europe is the European Union

Kingokings204

Italians haven’t seen growth for 20 years now is it?

The election is bad bad news for the EU and the result yesterday is people turning for a different path to take.

Youth employment is still very high and it’s a direct opposite to here. The Italian youth don’t like the EU.

Users who are viewing this thread