The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (8 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Astute

Yes, it is the same as the leavers who want to drop out of the Eurovision because they believe the EU loathes us and EU countries will never vote for our song. The EU Charter would be ok if we rubbed out EU and called it „The Great British Charter of Fundamental Rights“. Then they would say we have regained control and passed our sovereign law.
Or the remainers that want to keep as much as the EU as they can.

Astute

We can be worse off without crashing and burning, and we could be same as before, but as long as we are not significantly better off after all this division and uncertainty, then the whole exercise has been a waste of time and has damaged and divided the country for years to come unnecessarily.
And why won't we be much better off?

You only look for negatives. You argue against anything positive. I can see plenty positive and negative. But because of the loudest on here being remainers it is all about the negatives.

martcov

Or the remainers that want to keep as much as the EU as they can.

Yes, obviously. That is agreed. We cannot just drop all laws from 40 years of membership in a short space of time. We have to first take on most of them, and then drop or alter any we don’t agree with. Funny that the first to go is the one protecting the rights of people like you and me.

Which laws annoy you and which you would drop immediately?

Astute

Something debated, researched and passed by 28 countries obviously. Far more ideas and input. If we want, we could always add to it. I don’t trust people who want to reject existing rights.
And we get a decent say?

That is a positive on leaving. We can do what is best for us. We won't have to go along with decisions made for us.

Astute

You are cherry picking. You are saying we absorb EU law into our law, but reject something covering the rights of people without power or wealth.
Point out where I have said that. If you want a debate with me can you try to keep to the truth?

martcov

And why won't we be much better off?

You only look for negatives. You argue against anything positive. I can see plenty positive and negative. But because of the loudest on here being remainers it is all about the negatives.

You are one of the loudest on here. I haven’t looked for negatives. I just pointed out that, if, we are not significantly better off, then the whole thing is waste of time and has divided the country for years unnecessarily.

Astute

Which laws annoy you and which you would drop immediately?

Having someone who started off the biggest tax evasion being the one championing stopping tax evasion and getting away withwhat he has done totally.

martcov

Point out where I have said that. If you want a debate with me can you try to keep to the truth?

I posted a link which explains that we were absorbing EU laws. You said you were against absorbing the Charter. That is cherrypicking. That is the truth, but you don’t seem to understand what is happenening.

martcov

Having someone who started off the biggest tax evasion being the one championing stopping tax evasion and getting away withwhat he has done totally.

That is not a law. It is hypocrisy. Juncker is a person not a law and his term comes to an end in about 2,5 years. There is no point in leaving just because you don’t like Juncker’s hypocrisy.

Astute

You are one of the loudest on here. I haven’t looked for negatives. I just pointed out that, if, we are not significantly better off, then the whole thing is waste of time and has divided the country for years unnecessarily.
Funny.

You name.positives you have come out with and I will name many multiples of negatives you have come out with for each one......if you can name one that is.

Me one of the loudest? Most others have given up with trying to debate with you and others that don't want a debate but just want to put pro EU views and anti UK views forward.

Astute

I posted a link which explains that we were absorbing EU laws. You said you were against absorbing the Charter. That is cherrypicking. That is the truth, but you don’t seem to understand what is happenening.
EU law has become our law. So how is that cherry picking?

Astute

That is not a law. It is hypocrisy. Juncker is a person not a law and his term comes to an end in about 2,5 years. There is no point in leaving just because you don’t like Juncker’s hypocrisy.
Who said I want to leave?

But that is the problem. He has been allowed to get away with it. Is that the only thing someone has been allowed to get away with?

If a UK MP gets caught doing much less they are gone. But someone who has such a major say in the UK and EU can laugh at us. When his name got put forward we protested and gave the reasin why. Everyone else voted for him. It didn't come to light after the event. His name shouldn't even have gone forward.

So I don't have much faith in who will replace him. It is just jobs for the boys.

martcov

Funny.

You name.positives you have come out with and I will name many multiples of negatives you have come out with for each one......if you can name one that is.

Me one of the loudest? Most others have given up with trying to debate with you and others that don't want a debate but just want to put pro EU views and anti UK views forward.

I know no one putting out anti UK views on here. That is Daily Mail talk.

Being for the status quo where we were one of the leading economies and had a say in European affairs is very pro British.

Anti British is making racism more acceptable by blaming migrants for e.g. the motorways being clogged or making Brits uncomfortable by speaking foreign languages, or by militarism- building up the military instead of pooling military resources, or by dropping out of European agencies and creating thousands of civil service jobs instead of jobs in care for the elderly or in manufacturing.

Plus embarrassing other Brits by having orgasms because they are going to get French made blue passports which they could have had any time without leaving the EU.

Actually, leavers are an embarrassment. Luckyily you are neutral and voted remain ;-)

Last edited:

martcov

Who said I want to leave?

But that is the problem. He has been allowed to get away with it. Is that the only thing someone has been allowed to get away with?

If a UK MP gets caught doing much less they are gone. But someone who has such a major say in the UK and EU can laugh at us. When his name got put forward we protested and gave the reasin why. Everyone else voted for him. It didn't come to light after the event. His name shouldn't even have gone forward.

So I don't have much faith in who will replace him. It is just jobs for the boys.

He is going soon.

2 countries voted against Juncker and over 200 MEPs.

But, he won. It’s democracy, get over it.

26 countries and 400 MEPs think he is doing, or that he was capable of doing a good job.

Maybe if more people took an interest in the European elections, and better candidates were put forward by the parties, something could be done. Too late for the UK, but I hope people in the EU start taking the European elections more seriously.

Astute

I know no one putting out anti UK views

Actually, leavers are an embarrassment. Luckyily you are neutral and voted remain ;-)
Name one time you have something good to say. You put a bad spin on anything good.

I wasn't as you call neutral before the vote. But now we are leaving I try to look at the positives as well as negatives.

In fact why do I bother. We all know what direction it is going in. Positivity isn't allowed.

Astute

He is going soon.

2 countries voted against Juncker and over 200 MEPs.

But, he won. It’s democracy, get over it.
You make me laugh sometimes.

Democracy? That was our vote to leave the EU. But you don't like democracy.

It wasn't democracy that put Juncker in his position. And Cameron foresaw what could happen if Juncker was railroaded in

David Cameron loses Jean-Claude Juncker vote

skybluetony176

You did well to put my comment to this.

An EU charter is just that. We need our own version. Not something set up for nearly 30 countries of all types. And yes I don't trust politicians.

So I’ve been arguing that there’s the possibility that government is looking to change your rights and you’ve been arguing that I’m just being down on brexit and now you confirm that they’ll change our rights. So you’re saying I was right all along. You’re line about not needing something set up for other countries is just nonsense. We’re not a different breed to people from other countries, we’re all human and all deserve the same basic human rights. The fact that government doesn’t want to adopt this standard should be ringing alarm bells.

Astute

Lords defeats government for the 15th time to back EU eco-standards after Brexit

Another attempt to cherry pick thwarted by the Lords. It seems the Tories are trying to lower environmental standards as well.
Oh yes. The house of Lords. An unelected bunch of people that use their given privilege to steer laws in the direction that they want. And many make money out of being in the EU through money given to landowners. So of course they will do what they can to stop us from leaving.

And then you have thise who get a pension from the EU. The EU has said that they won't pay it after we leave. So how can the house of lords be unbiased?

EU WILL NOT pay for UK Lords pension pots: German MEP blasts peers' £10m Brussels pensions

Why don’t the EU’s pensioners in the Lords have to declare their interest? | Coffee House

martcov

Oh yes. The house of Lords. An unelected bunch of people that use their given privilege to steer laws in the direction that they want. And many make money out of being in the EU through money given to landowners. So of course they will do what they can to stop us from leaving.

And then you have thise who get a pension from the EU. The EU has said that they won't pay it after we leave. So how can the house of lords be unbiased?

EU WILL NOT pay for UK Lords pension pots: German MEP blasts peers' £10m Brussels pensions

Why don’t the EU’s pensioners in the Lords have to declare their interest? | Coffee House

What is the problem? Leavers say that the EU is undemocratic and that’s one reason why we are leaving... Actually the EU is more democratic than Britain as you point out. Either change Britain to PR and representative Senat, or drop the democracy and transparency arguments for leaving.

Astute

You've said it yourself on this very thread.
The way the EU is run makes me want to leave. But there are benefits of being in the EU that benefit me and will benefit me in the future depending on any deal that is made.

How can that be hard to understand?

Astute

So I’ve been arguing that there’s the possibility that government is looking to change your rights and you’ve been arguing that I’m just being down on brexit and now you confirm that they’ll change our rights. So you’re saying I was right all along. You’re line about not needing something set up for other countries is just nonsense. We’re not a different breed to people from other countries, we’re all human and all deserve the same basic human rights. The fact that government doesn’t want to adopt this standard should be ringing alarm bells.
So what do you know that nobody other than those who benefit financially from the EU directly know?

Astute

Because our government is rejecting parts of it. With your blessing. You do know what cherry picking means don’t you?
EU law is our law.

An EU directive isn't an EU law. A directive is a legal act of the EU which requires member states to achieve a particular result without dictating the means of achieving that result. It can be distinguished from regulations, which are self-executing and do not require any implementing measures.

skybluetony176

So what do you know that nobody other than those who benefit financially from the EU directly know?

You tell me. You apparently agree with me. Well, at least in the post I was replying to you do. Although you have contradicted yourself with the whole no cherry picking/we need something bespoke argument you’ve been having. Mainly with yourself.

skybluetony176

So what environmental standards that you know of are being lowered?

You’re argument is completely moronic. If we’re not going to lose anything you adopt all areas of EU law. If you want to improve something you still do that and then use this as your starting point if for no other reason than economics. This is the cheapest way of doing it. If you don’t want to maintain a standard you abandon it and that then becomes your dropping off point. It’s basic common sense. Sorry it’s beyond you.

Astute

You tell me. You apparently agree with me. Well, at least in the post I was replying to you do. Although you have contradicted yourself with the whole no cherry picking/we need something bespoke argument you’ve been having. Mainly with yourself.
It isn't me contradicting myself.

You constantly go on about us not keeping up with the EU charter when we leave. But what is one?

I have said what one is. It is for countries in the EU. It is not for countries outside the EU. When we leave the EU we won't be in the EU. But you either don't understand this or you are just point scoring.

Users who are viewing this thread