The holiday thread I’ve (1 Viewer)

ovduk78

We'll see if this is an elaborate practical joke or not.

Avon's spray finds calling as midge repellent for Royal Marines

At least I'll smell nice!
Doesn't work for me. I don't tend to put anything on to stop them and if I get bitten I spray the bite(s) with whatever I've got as it tends to stop the itching. I do spend a lot of time in doors if they are bad but luckily where we live isn't the worst place for them

bringbackrattles

Doesn't work for me. I don't tend to put anything on to stop them and if I get bitten I spray the bite(s) with whatever I've got as it tends to stop the itching. I do spend a lot of time in doors if they are bad but luckily where we live isn't the worst place for them
Remember though the midges in Scotland only bite the English. They're trained to do it !

bringbackrattles

They are tiny undercover nationalists, every one I manage to kill I say to it "take that Sturgeon!!" My Scottish wife doesn't get bitten as much as our son and me
Its true I tell you. A Scottish walking guide told me so, and so if he said it's true it has to be !

Liquid Gold

Just got back from the south of France. Ms LG's cousin has a place in the middle of nowhere, spent a week drinking amazing wine and eating cheese and now I can barely walk up stairs.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Went to Lisbon the other year, it took less than 15 mins to be offered hash haha.

Pretty much all drugs are decriminalized over there....and guess what.....they have fewer addicts, fewer deaths & a safer, happier, healthier society.

My mate & his family are moving there this summer......theres gonna be 12 of us in all.....me & my 2 surviving mates from school + our respective families.

......Just started on my learn Portuguese CD from the library........so far, it appears to basically be spanish spoken in an accent exceedingly rare.

vow

Booked a B&B in Wembley, end of May. ;)

olderskyblue

Drive then bridge nowadays.

But still, four hours to Carlisle, stop overnight (Astute or anyone local, any tips for good places to eat in Carlisle?!?) then four hours to Glencoe, stop overnight, then four hours to Skye. Way back will have a stop near the Bells whisky distillery.

Never done Scotland before, bar popping over the border just to say I've been(!) so figured I may as well go big or go home.

Carlisle ? Not Gretna green NW ?

Skye is great, but if you have time, come back over the bridge and head further north too. Scenery is fantastic

fernandopartridge

Not much planned with the baby just arrived. Looking at a villa somewhere warm in September / October.
Might try to get to Spain for the Cov friendlies but doubtful at the minute.

Kingokings204

Has anyone on here ever been to Zante and more specifically laganas?

I’m going in 2 weeks.

Marty

I was meant to go Rome late last year, I had tickets to the Roma - Lazio derby, but the return flight got changed to 2 days later and work wouldn't give me the additional time off.

Not sure this year, haven't looked as of yet, quite fancy Barcelona or Madrid though for a few days.

Astute

2 of my favorite slices of heaven on earth.....Anglesey & the Lake District for me & mine......

.....and breaking my own environmental code for the greater family good, I've also agreed we can fly to portugal later this year too.
I love Anglesey. But some of the natives don't like outsiders. Have had several times where they have been speaking in English but as soon as they hear your English accent they start talking in Welsh.

I spoke to an aunt of mine years ago on the subject. She was born in Coventry but married a welsh bloke. Over 30 years later you would never guess that she wasn't welsh. But she was still known as the English bitch by some of those who remembered her moving there.

Astute

Just got back from the south of France. Ms LG's cousin has a place in the middle of nowhere, spent a week drinking amazing wine and eating cheese and now I can barely walk up stairs.
I have family down that way. Love the french lifestyle. Also love the Vendée area. And yes bring back a bootfull of wine each time I go. Next trip is in 3 weeks during school half term. Will make my Wembley trip difficult though.

Astute

Has anyone on here ever been to Zante and more specifically laganas?

I’m going in 2 weeks.
Was in Zante end September start October last year. Eldest lad got married there. Had a great time and look forward to going again. Food was great. Good time to go as it won't be too hot for you.

Many go to the shipwreck beach. Lovely trip out. But if you go make sure you go early in the day before the large boats start arriving. The beach gets taken over by the boats. Go for one of the small glass bottom boats.

Laganas has a good long beach. Best to go before tourists take over unless you are going for the nightlife. Many things to do like scuba diving with turtles. We went there a few times. We all thought it was the best place we visited but we didn't stay there.

Beware of the taxi drivers. Many of them drive dangerous roads with one hand whilst constantly on the phone. It is normal there. And when you get your transfer from the airport you will see how destitute the place is. But you won't notice much in the tourist areas.

Last edited:

Kingokings204

Was in Zante end September start October last year. Eldest lad got married there. Had a great time and look forward to going again. Food was great. Good time to go as it won't be too hot for you.

Many go to the shipwreck beach. Lovely trip out. But if you go make sure you go early in the day before the large boats start arriving. The beach gets taken over by the boats. Go for one of the small glass bottom boats.

Laganas has a good long beach. Best to go before tourists take over unless you are going for the nightlife. Many things to do like scuba diving with turtles. We went there a few times. We all thought it was the best place we visited but we didn't stay there.

Beware of the taxi drivers. Many of them drive dangerous roads with one hand whilst constantly on the phone. It is normal there. And when you get your transfer from the airport you will see how destitute the place is. But you won't notice much in the tourist areas.

Cheers Astute. I’m going laganas in 2 weeks time. I’m looking forward to it. It’s a stag do so obviously laganas was the choice.

Do you think it will be decent weather and fairly busy for a few drinks later this month for a stag do? It was fairly cheap place to book.

Thanks to FP also for his response.

Astute

Cheers Astute. I’m going laganas in 2 weeks time. I’m looking forward to it. It’s a stag do so obviously laganas was the choice.

Do you think it will be decent weather and fairly busy for a few drinks later this month for a stag do? It was fairly cheap place to book.

Thanks to FP also for his response.
I would guess that the weather will be something like what we had at the end of last year. Mid to high 20's each day and the occasional rain that is great to cool you down. It was mid 30's and above in middle of summer. It was the busiest place we saw on the island so would say you should be OK. But have not been this time of the year before.

Have fun and don't stay sober :smuggrin:

clint van damme

Take money, lots of it

I find Florida quite cheap apart from the park tickets, that's what bumps the costs up, but obviously that's why most people go!
Last time I went we got a 5 bedroom villa with pool for £1100 for 3 weeks, that was between two families! Same year I paid £600 for a caravan in Weymouth for Easter weekend!

NorthernWisdom

Did a fly-drive with my Dad and Granddad years ago. This was where we stayed for a night, the week after we left.

an09.jpg

Terry Gibson's perm

Was going to go into the London area on the train around play off weekend but tried to book s ticket and they said it’s sold out a mystery man has bought all the tickets;).

A week at centre parks Woburn in October as they haven’t accounted for nuneatons school holidays being different than London’s so it’s nearly affordable it’s Mrs TGP’s 40th birthday so her choice

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Me and 'er indoors are going to somewhere called Coventry next week. Going on the 10th and returning on the 18th. Looking forward to it!

LastGarrison

Off to a little village just outside Hay-on-Wye for 5 nights in June as it is an AirBNB which is dog friendly with plenty of walks and pubs.

Going to try and tick another new country off the list this year and it will probably be Poland for a long weekend sometime later in the year.

fernandopartridge

Off to a little village just outside Hay-on-Wye for 5 nights in June as it is an AirBNB which is dog friendly with plenty of walks and pubs.

Going to try and tick another new country off the list this year and it will probably be Poland for a long weekend sometime later in the year.
Definitely recommend Krakow but heard good things about Wroclaw and Gdansk

Sky_Blue_Daz

I find Florida quite cheap apart from the park tickets, that's what bumps the costs up, but obviously that's why most people go!
Last time I went we got a 5 bedroom villa with pool for £1100 for 3 weeks, that was between two families! Same year I paid £600 for a caravan in Weymouth for Easter weekend!
My cousin and husband have arranged to come with their kids so 4 adults and 4 kids for a fortnight so I decided to let them organise everything. The good thing is they are of the same opinion of me that it’s probably the only time we will do this so are having the best of everything

Haven’t told the kids but we are taking them to swim with dolphins
And myself and my cousins husband are having a Father’s Day out either jet skiing or golf

My wife and daughter want a days shopping too

Can’t wait but am checking down the back of the sofa for change and old lottery tickets, and have already told my boss to put me on permanent nights as the money is better

skybluesam66

My cousin and husband have arranged to come with their kids so 4 adults and 4 kids for a fortnight so I decided to let them organise everything. The good thing is they are of the same opinion of me that it’s probably the only time we will do this so are having the best of everything

Haven’t told the kids but we are taking them to swim with dolphins
And myself and my cousins husband are having a Father’s Day out either jet skiing or golf

My wife and daughter want a days shopping too

Can’t wait but am checking down the back of the sofa for change and old lottery tickets, and have already told my boss to put me on permanent nights as the money is better
Wouldn,t be checking down the back of your sofa!

Users who are viewing this thread