The Official Petition Thread (2 Viewers)

Captain Dart

Petition signatures have cruised past 9K.

skybluelee

What reasoning could there be for a Coventry fan not signing it by now though? There were 31,000 supposed Coventry fans at the Crewe game, for example. Do the people of Coventry really not give a fuck about the club?

ashbyjan

Just to let people know the Trust has contacted Supporters Direct and asked them to contact the 170 Trusts that are members of SD and get them to ask each of their members to sign up. Not sure exactly how many individuals fans this is but must numbers 1000's and every signature helps.

Monners

Just posted this on the Irish fans forum. Bare in mind the level of support for the English and Scottish game with Irish fans. The ask is for those who are UK based to sign, and encourage friends and family to do so also. In addition, it raises more awareness (hopefully). It is a quiet time for the international team, but I will see how it progresses and will pm some of the usual supsects on the site who have close media links with the Irish press.

http://www.ybig.ie/forum/football-governance-coventry-city-and-others_topic48132.html

mds

The petition - Local Votes - Telegraph

Im under the impression we need 50k local votes, cant remember where i got that from on here probably.
I never buy the telegraph but do read it online now n then, it has a huge catchment area with decent sales any way we could get a full or half page add in there not in the sports pages but in the front half that the majority of buyers would read!
I know they report it regularly but to catch the non football supporters who may have pride in the City if not the football club and understand that the city as a whole is losing out, grannys grandads housewives fricken everyone without football tie needs dragging in for the sake of the city not just the club.

We will get thousands up and down the country but not so sure the 50k local, a big push in the local rags would help no end!

If they have, apologies, just another thought on pushing this damn petition!

Monners

Slight concern that is we don't get a high volume in local input, then it will become increasingly difficult to get others form around the country to sign up

Captain Dart

Might be worth handing out some leaflets at Sphinx, Cov Utd & Nuneaton Town games.

MichaelCCFC

Quote from mds: Im under the impression we need 50k local votes, cant remember where i got that from on here probably.
I never buy the telegraph but do read it online now n then, it has a huge catchment area with decent sales any way we could get a full or half page add in there not in the sports pages but in the front half that the majority of buyers would read!
I know they report it regularly but to catch the non football supporters who may have pride in the City if not the football club and understand that the city as a whole is losing out, grannys grandads housewives fricken everyone without football tie needs dragging in for the sake of the city not just the club.

We will get thousands up and down the country but not so sure the 50k local, a big push in the local rags would help no end!

If they have, apologies, just another thought on pushing this damn petition!
Slight concern that is we don't get a high volume in local input, then it will become increasingly difficult to get others form around the country to sign up

mds and monners - through your efforts and those of others this is going brilliantly and is way ahead of the numbers I thought there'd be at this stage (remember that group who did the petition calling on the council to take action about the ricoh got barely 1,000 so we've already got 10 times that amount in just one week!) What's great so far is the way it just keeps ticking over, hour by hour. Inevitably it will stall at some point but there are plenty of options for reviving interest when that happens. Coverage in cov tel so far has been excellent and as kcic has no money we can't do an advert but we can keep giving the media stories and tomorrow will be one. There will also be a tipping point - maybe 30k - when people realise this is getting really big and everyone will want to be part of it and groups/individuals who wouldn't want to be seen supporting a lame duck will suddenly be coming on board. So this bit's the hard slog but it will get easier.

For targeting people in Coventry, the suggestion of a stall in the city centre on the 15th would work well but needs some people to volunteer

mds

Agreed completely Michael, i didnt make my point too well, i was kinda thinking we could push the local rags for a freebie 1/4 1/2 or full page add, just to promote the petition to the wider audience.

torchomatic

Great number so far but still disappointed that more people in Coventry haven't signed it. If everyone who went to Crewe last year signed it then we'd be a third of the way there already.

shmmeee

I saw the Caroline Lucas Drugs Policy one yesterday, it's on 45,413. It says something when Coventry fans are more apathetic than a bunch of stoners.

BurbageSkyBlues

I have sent an email to the guy that runs 'boing' , one of the many Baggies fans' forums. I have asked him if he can email to all of his co administrators for their other forums, so fingers crossed.

Can someone please update the spreadsheet on my behalf, as I am on my iPad, and not sure about doing excel on this., wouldn't want to screw up all your hard work folks!

Here is a copy of the mail that was sent, pasted WM's text into the bottom of my covering mail.

Hello Huw,

I hope you don't mind me emailing you, it's a call for help!

As you are no doubt aware, The Sky Blues are amidst some of their darkest days right now, and I am not talking about just on the pitch. Things have been going on at the club, which would leave most people baffled as to the sanity of those responsible. We as fans are left to travel 35 miles each way to 'home' games at Sixfields in Northampton. Meanwhile, the Ricoh sits empty. As a result, the vast majority are boycotting the games to express our disapproval. But we continue to travel in large numbers to away games, to show our support for the players. You may have seen our recent protest at The Emirates, on BT Sport, for the FA Cup match.

We are calling for a Parliamentary Select Committee investigation, into what is going on in football, using our club as a sample case. There are all sorts of issues facing clubs, not just ours, e.g. Hull Tigers, Cardiff City, Portsmouth, to name a few. We can only dream of the day when we are as well run as the Baggies!

We need 100K signatures on the e.petition, and are calling for support for this from all other football clubs and their fans, through forums such as yours. Please can you post a link on our behalf, some details are given below, with more detail and words that you may find helpful.

There is one massive massive favour that I'd like to ask, but understand if you can't do it. I notice that there are lots of other Baggies fans forums, and I do not have time to go into all of them individually. Do you have a mail list of the site mods/administrators, that maybe you could forward my email to? If you do, it would greatly speed things up

Thanks in anticipation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everybody,

Apologies for crashing your forum but we're after the support of fans up and down the country. You might be aware of or situation...owned by SISU (or whatever they call themselves this week), we're currently playing 'home' games 34 miles from the Ricoh. The owners of the Ricoh (a set up called ACL - owned half by a charity and half by Coventry City Council) have said they'll let us play there rent free for 3 years whilst we build a new stadium. Our owners, for reasons unbeknown to anyone sensible, have said no to this. Plans to build a new stadium were due to be with us but as yet, nothing. The owners say they're in active discussions with 2 boroughs about land for a new stadium. Fans have contacted all local boroughs and none say there's any discussions going on. And there's no gaurantee that any new stadium will be built in Coventry. All a bit of a mess and unfortunately, the fans suffer.

Cov fans are boycotting home games this season...our attendances are our lowest ever recorded, bar some crappy cup game against Millwall in the 80's. Away though, our fans are travelling strong...we took 7,500 to MK Dons just before Xmas....as many as home fans on that day and you might have seen our protests during BT Sports recent coverage of our cup game away at Arsenal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHKTX34HnGQ

We're started an online petition to try and raise 100,000 signatures in order to try and enforce a House of Commons Select Committee grilling of all parties involved in our downfall (and there's a few). We hope that this won't only shed light on who is to blame for our situation, but provide some transparency for the powers the rule the game, to effectively manage club ownership and stop situations like ours, Hulls, Cardiffs, Lutons, Rangers etc etc.

Please could you sign the attached petition? It will take 2 minutes, you won't get junk mail and you'll hopefully assist with a better environment for fans of football.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/59884

We need about 400 signatures from every professional club in England and Scotland as well as 50,000 from our fans. Please do share.

Thanks all,
The Sky Blue Army

SkyBlue_Bear83

9500 signatures now, internet forums are good but this is only reaches a minority of the clubs fan base. What % of Cov fans use sky blue talk regularly, I'd guess about 2% and we seem to be one of the most active boards compared to what I have seen. A more efficient method of reaching out is needed.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Great number so far but still disappointed that more people in Coventry haven't signed it. If everyone who went to Crewe last year signed it then we'd be a third of the way there already.

I think at the moment, the petition is only reaching the hardcore football/Coventry fans and not the casual fans.

MichaelCCFC

About 4th time I've posted this....who's up for handing out sign up leaflets in town on the 15th?

And for the critics, plenty on here thought Arsenal wouldn't work. The epetition is doing really well and ticking over is much better than a sudden surge then nothing. Getting it off the ground is the hard part. A tipping point will be reached when people realise this is big and everyone will want to get on board. It's going way better at this stage than I thought it would

Monkeyface

We somehow need to be addressing the people of coventry who are not fans, after all, council tax payers in the city have a reason to be interested.

BurbageSkyBlues

what about major employers like JLR, must be loads of football fans & coventry folk that work there, including some posters on here that could spread the word. Also the council, schools, and even Coventry Building Society, who surely have a soft spot for our club's future? We have two local universities, time to get them on board, students can be a lively and enthusiastic crowd to get behind a cause.

lapsed_skyblue

Have you ever seen "adverts" on notice boards which have comb like strips at the bottom? You read the top half of the notice and if you are interested tear off one of the strips with information on it. In this case it could be the website address of the petition.
They could be put up on noticeboards at gyms and colleges and have the advantage that the person putting up the notice doesn't need to stay there and the reader doesn't need to remember or write down the website address, just take a strip of paper. Optimistically, you might need a local guy to replace the notice once all the strips have been taken and pessimitically some notices will be defaced or destroyed.

Monkeyface

Surely if SISU, the Council and ACL are all behind the petition they should do a press release encouraging people to sign.

Chez78

What reasoning could there be for a Coventry fan not signing it by now though? There were 31,000 supposed Coventry fans at the Crewe game, for example. Do the people of Coventry really not give a fuck about the club?

I truly believe most people don't know about it, I've said before it really needs putting out to the people of Coventry with more advertising or even door to door. Considering the trust gets money of members could they not organise some sort of postal flyer or advert in the paper, plus getting the word out on local radio would help it spread and of course good old twitter. Richard Keys has plenty of followers on twitter and getting him to post would help?

Users who are viewing this thread