Train strike 30th July (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
The strikers who have had 'results' so far this year have still taken below inflation increases.

Executive pay and dividends are still being paid handsomely so the money's there, its just finding its way to a small clique of people, it's time that changed.

People who go to work every day shouldn't be struggling to live.
Why shouldn't executives want more money?

This is why I'm trying to find out where the line is when it stops being ok and becomes greedy. Is there an amount?

clint van damme

Why shouldn't executives want more money?

This is why I'm trying to find out where the line is when it stops being ok and becomes greedy. Is there an amount?

Because they have year on year inflation busting pay increases where as most working people have effectively had pay cuts. Absolutely incredible you have to ask to be honest.

Nick

Administrator
Because they have year on year inflation busting pay increases where as most working people have effectively had pay cuts. Absolutely incredible you have to ask to be honest.
So where's the line?

Is every company owner getting dividends now upper class too?

Brighton Sky Blue

You know where I work. I showed the guys your advice - they think your an entitled c**t who doesn’t live in the real world but honestly come round and explain why we close the place and throw everyone out of work as we can’t afford an inflation matching pay rise

I’m not joking the offers there

I don't actually. Getting stroppy I see-and choosing to ignore that pay has been falling in real terms for 12 years not 12 months. Pay has lagged behind inflation for this long that people don't have the financial strength to absorb the current price rises.

You're also speaking to someone in the small group of people who paid towards his own school fees, paid his parents rent etc unlike the man who put his kids up for free in all respects. Worked hard at uni, work hard at my job and so does my wife so...

1657813310803.png

Brighton Sky Blue

Where did I say that?

I said why are proper taking the time to qualify and take jobs knowing the salary etc if it's that bad?

I wouldn't say easiest job on the planet but have you got many plans for your few weeks off?

Usually take a few weeks to plan and change things for the following year. After all, it's not a creche as you're keen to point out

Grendel

I don't actually. Getting stroppy I see-and choosing to ignore that pay has been falling in real terms for 12 years not 12 months. Pay has lagged behind inflation for this long that people don't have the financial strength to absorb the current price rises.

You're also speaking to someone in the small group of people who paid towards his own school fees, paid his parents rent etc unlike the man who put his kids up for free in all respects. Worked hard at uni, work hard at my job and so does my wife so...

View attachment 25309

You are so self entitled but the offers there - do you want to explain your rationale to real world people

it’s obvious you’ve been on a union jolly and it’s all great laughs - you certainly arent teaching are you? Or is it free periods every 10 minutes these days?

Nick

Administrator
Flip that on its head, how many years do you go with your pay reducing in real terms before you say enough is enough?

MPshave been rewarding themselves handsomely all through austerity but God forbid the working manwants an increase.
I've mentioned MPs. Cunts.

Why is there no line then? What happens if somebody was on an amazing wage 5 years ago and it's balanced out now?

I'd be fucked if I was still doing the same job and the same salary as 10 years ago to be fair.

Should the cost of living amount be raised every year?

Nick

Administrator
I don't understand what you're saying?
At what point does somebody just wanting a better wage become the other end and just being greedy?

The vast majority of people taking dividends aren't people born with silver spoons. Of course there will be people born into it.

clint van damme

I've mentioned MPs. Cunts.

Why is there no line then? What happens if somebody was on an amazing wage 5 years ago and it's balanced out now?

I'd be fucked if I was still doing the same job and the same salary as 10 years ago to be fair.

Should the cost of living amount be raised every year?

And some people are fucked and the current rises in fuel, energy and inflation have pushed them over the edge.
I don't blame anyone for saying enough is enough

Nick

Administrator
And some people are fucked and the current rises in fuel, energy and inflation have pushed them over the edge.
I don't blame anyone for saying enough is enough
Yes but what's the line of somebody being greedy? If somebody is already on a wage well above the cost of living wage then is that greedy or ok?

Say I'm a mid level manager on 75k but I wanted more, am I greedy or is that ok to down tools?

Brighton Sky Blue

You are so self entitled but the offers there - do you want to explain your rationale to real world people

it’s obvious you’ve been on a union jolly and it’s all great laughs - you certainly arent teaching are you? Or is it free periods every 10 minutes these days?

A union jolly 🤣

fernandopartridge

Then fair play to you for getting a decent pay rise every year in it!

I don't need to swallow anything about price spirals, I have seen the impact working for SMEs first hand who don't have greedy shareholders and huge profits to absorb the additional costs in. The same as mates who work in various trades who keep having to put their prices up to cover costs (yep fuel is mostly the government taking their taxes etc) but then it's the everyday person who then has to pay more for an electrician, plumber or carpenter.

I don't get a decent payrise every year, didn't get one at all last year or this year. I've not had an even close to inflationary increase for 7 years, I've been fortunate enough to be promoted a few times otherwise I'd be significantly worse off.

Despite that, I cannot comprehend how anybody operating within the open market can begrudge other people getting a payrise, it's good for us all. Telling everybody to tighten their belts is disastrous for an economy like ours.

Brighton Sky Blue

Yes but what's the line of somebody being greedy? If somebody is already on a wage well above the cost of living wage then is that greedy or ok?

Say I'm a mid level manager on 75k but I wanted more, am I greedy or is that ok to down tools?

Did the manager of Birmingham airport deserve a 50% pay rise? Who was warning him against causing an inflation spiral?

clint van damme

At what point does somebody just wanting a better wage become the other end and just being greedy?

I can't say for sure, but I'd say if someone is receiving an anual rise in line with inflation and their salary allows them to maintain their standard of living then maybe there's an argument that pushing for more is greedy.

But what's going on at the moment is a million miles away from that. Most people, public and private sector have seen their wages decrease in real terms and their standard of living go backwards due to austerity and now huge increases in fuel and energy onto of eye watering inflation.

To consider it greedy to push for more in these circumstances is frankly fucking mental

clint van damme

You've started off criticising working people and have now moved to mid level managers earning well above the national average, it's not comparing like for like.

Grendel

Train drivers are well above the average. Aren't they?

Management in SME would dream of £48 grand - don’t you need 3 low level GCSE’s for the skilled train driver job

clint van damme

Train drivers are well above the average. Aren't they?

Yes, they are, though like everyone else, if they don't get a pay rise in line with inflation then essentially their wages decrease.
Many other railway staff aren't on above average wage though.
The train drivers haven't been on strike yet though, the other rail workers have.
Are you happy that we're paying dividends to share holders when we could be using the money to give them a pay rise.

Nick

Administrator
Yes, they are, though like everyone else, if they don't get a pay rise in line with inflation then essentially their wages decrease.
Many other railway staff aren't on above average wage though.
The train drivers haven't been on strike yet though, the other rail workers have.
Are you happy that we're paying dividends to share holders when we could be using the money to give them a pay rise.

It depends on the business and the dividends doesn't it?

Not every company owner (shareholders) are rinsing millions while they have slaves.

Nick

Administrator
And not every striking worker is greedy.

So why kick off with that, rather than criticising shareholders?
I didn't say they were greedy. I asked what the line was between wanting more and being greedy....

Why can people ask for more money but share holders and bosses can't?

clint van damme

It depends on the business and the dividends doesn't it?

Not every company owner (shareholders) are rinsing millions while they have slaves.

I never said there were, but clearly there are companies (and government departments), who seem to be able to make profits, pay dividends and find money when it suits but plead poverty when it comes to giving the workers a rise.

People shouldn't put up with this shit any more.

clint van damme

I didn't say they were greedy. I asked what the line was between wanting more and being greedy....

Can you think of any examples where executives and shareholders were denied remuneration to the point they were struggling to buy the basics?

NorthernWisdom

You started in this thread by deciding they earned enough already.

So why did you start with that, rather than shareholders taking more of a hit, and / or government doing more to alleviate the cost of living issues?

Is that because you think shareholders should have more money and workers less?

Nick

Administrator
Can you think of any examples where executives and shareholders were denied remuneration to the point they were struggling to buy the basics?
Probably the majority of small businesses that went bust.

Do we think train drivers can't buy the basics with 48k a year then?

Brighton Sky Blue

I never said there were, but clearly there are companies (and government departments), who seem to be able to make profits, pay dividends and find money when it suits but plead poverty when it comes to giving the workers a rise.

People shouldn't put up with this shit any more.

Since schools got mentioned look at all the CEOs and executive level management that’s been brought in since academisation. Most are on around £300k, the highest paid is on 500.

Why is all that extra spending needed and not challenged?

clint van damme

Probably the majority of small businesses that went bust.

Do we think train drivers can't buy the basics with 48k a year then?

Should train drivers take a pay cut when executives don't?

Can people on 19k afford the basics given the re ent rises in fuel and energy?

As for small businesses, I feel sorry for anyone who went bust.
But lots of small businesses going bust isn't really a reason to deny workers in other sectors a pay rise is it?

Nick

Administrator
Should train drivers take a pay cut when executives don't?

Can people on 19k afford the basics given the re ent rises in fuel and energy?

As for small businesses, I feel sorry for anyone who went bust.
But lots of small businesses going bust isn't really a reason to deny workers in other sectors a pay rise is it?

19k is a lot different to 48k. My view would obviously be a lot different.

I didn't say it was a reason to deny, I'm just pointing out the vast majority of company owners and shareholders aren't of the Amazon levels.

Users who are viewing this thread