Transfer Shouts (6 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
yes Robins comments imply there may be no signings now and only another loan

Wilson has a contract extension and could be as number 1 next season

Didn't he say 3 or 4?

Grendel

Skyblue_CP

There’s clearly no more money to be spent than what we have had previously. We’ve brought 2 raw unproven loans in and shipped 2 high earners out. It may well be a tough window but there is players out there to be had. I.e Jamal Lowe. In reality the money isn’t there and we can’t compete with 95% of this division when it come to transfers/contracts.

Sky Blue Harry H

There’s clearly no more money to be spent than what we have had previously. We’ve brought 2 raw unproven loans in and shipped 2 high earners out. It may well be a tough window but there is players out there to be had. I.e Jamal Lowe. In reality the money isn’t there and we can’t compete with 95% of this division when it come to transfers/contracts.
MR was fairly clear that players/agents (and I'm guessing this may be referencing Paterson) have been asking for silly money as they think we're awash with cash. Whatever our financial position, I'd rather we spend it wisely, than spunk it all in desperation, when better use can be made of the budget next summer. Sooner have a hungry player than a greedy one (unless it's Messi. in which case I'd sanction Julian Gray's sale)

Grendel

MR was fairly clear that players/agents (and I'm guessing this may be referencing Paterson) have been asking for silly money as they think we're awash with cash. Whatever our financial position, I'd rather we spend it wisely, than spunk it all in desperation, when better use can be made of the budget next summer. Sooner have a hungry player than a greedy one (unless it's Messi. in which case I'd sanction Julian Gray's sale)

why on earth would anyone believe we are awash with cash?

fatso

One or two agents may get a reality check when the window is about to close, and decide to grav what's on offer.
In the case of Paterson, he's not even in the match day squad at the moment so if he doesn't get a move now he will become the forgotten man by the end of the season.
And he ain't getting any younger.

JonesBob

MR is not exactly going to say it is easy to get players in, is he? Granted he has to put up with a plethora of substandard journalists but who has got his signing correct for the past few years? He will bring in a few signings, not loans, just wait and see.

junglej13

See where we are come the end of the window. Clubs and players expectations come down pretty rapidly. The Championship still sees some ridiculous money stupidly spent. I don't want to see us start doing the same.

rexo87

Need to chill a bit. Long as we keep Vik in this window we will stay up. Robins knows this and knows that play offs are unachievable. Much better to hold off with signings until summer when players are more widely available. Need to remember we have Fadz, Eccles, Godden and Walker back in the next 2 weeks as well. Worst thing we can do is panic buy a few players on 2/3 year contracts and then have those wages on the books when we don't want them

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

shmmeee

He was about the only exception but I don’t think Brown rates him. Having looked if you ignore loans I’d argue you have to go back to 09/10 when we signed Carl Baker and Richard Wood for the last time we got a player in who improved the first team at the time.

Grendel

He was about the only exception but I don’t think Brown rates him. Having looked if you ignore loans I’d argue you have to go back to 09/10 when we signed Carl Baker and Richard Wood for the last time we got a player in who improved the first team at the time.

Leon Clarke

KenilworthSkyBlue

January is a pig of a window to recruit in. The fact the club often tries to source cheap additions doesn't help matters - certainly not when clubs really have to pay premium to bring in anyone even half decent.

I think there in lies the issue.

shmmeee

January is a pig of a window to recruit in. The fact the club often tries to source cheap additions doesn't help matters - certainly not when clubs really have to pay premium to bring in anyone even half decent.

I think there in lies the issue.

It doesn’t help that the parachute clubs or those with silly owners will just buy up talent for a couple of mill and stockpile them either. Panzo at Forest last season could have been ours, never played a game for them really. The CB from Oxford that went to Burnley would have been a good shout, same situation. Twine as well. You’d hope the player would realise they’ve a better chance of establishing themselves here but they’re gonna believe the bullshit and back themselves to get into the side and if not have a fat wage.

KenilworthSkyBlue

It doesn’t help that the parachute clubs or those with silly owners will just buy up talent for a couple of mill and stockpile them either. Panzo at Forest last season could have been ours, never played a game for them really. The CB from Oxford that went to Burnley would have been a good shout, same situation. Twine as well. You’d hope the player would realise they’ve a better chance of establishing themselves here but they’re gonna believe the bullshit and back themselves to get into the side and if not have a fat wage.

The biggest issue with the window is that it's a window of panic.

The stockpiling worsens (see Bournemouth last Jan), the fees get bigger and the competition heightens. You rarely ever get what you pay for.

I see why Robins hates it. It must be horrendous to recruit in as the club must consistently get gazumped - far more than usual.

shmmeee

The biggest issue with the window is that it's a window of panic.

The stockpiling worsens (see Bournemouth last Jan), the fees get bigger and the competition heightens. You rarely ever get what you pay for.

I see why Robins hates it. It must be horrendous to recruit in as the club must consistently get gazumped - far more than usual.

The only winners are teams selling really.

KenilworthSkyBlue

The only winners are teams selling really.

Yes, but only to an extent.

As more often than not such clubs have to wait until the summer to replace as a decent replacement would come at a premium in January - largely because a) the club/s of their target/s knows the selling club has just received a significant fee to utilise for a replacement and b) the club/s of their target/s will know full well that if they sell, then they themselves will struggle to find a replacement in line with their budget.

It's a vicious cycle.

Flying Fokker

Apart from CCFC under SISU who have somehow managed to still be in a weakened bargaining position forced into selling players in January (Leon Best, Jutkiewicz, Madison, McCallum)
Gyokeres. 20 million please. Nothing less. We‘lol need to double his pay just to increase his contract. We did ok out of the Bayliss sale? Did he go mid season?

Deity

Apart from CCFC under SISU who have somehow managed to still be in a weakened bargaining position forced into selling players in January (Leon Best, Jutkiewicz, Madison, McCallum)
I used to have that view but history doesn’t support it. With the exception of Maddison ( and none of us know what we have got for him in total ) most other players didn’t go on to increase their value.

fernandopartridge

I used to have that view but history doesn’t support it. With the exception of Maddison ( and none of us know what we have got for him in total ) most other players didn’t go on to increase their value.

Not sure that's relevant to the point I'm making which is not about the fee received as such but the inability of CCFC to turn down a deal altogether

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Squad limits. It's the only way to stop the stockpiling.

And I don't mean caveated limits like U21's don't count or if a player came through the academy. A straight up limit of 40 players on professional contracts at any club. If you're at that limit you have to sell or de-register a player before another can be added. If you de-register them they're automatically a free agent.

Sky Blue Harry H

See that Blackpool have signed Charlie Goode (6' 5" centre half) from Brentford on loan. He's someone I would have thought could have done a job for us.

Users who are viewing this thread