Transfer Rumour Walker to Lincoln (1 Viewer)

fatso

That’s Coventry fans in general - unless youre running around like a headless chicken you’re lazy. It’s why Doyle got a pass for years.

Didn’t offer much but he ran around a lot
He also helped win a play off final game at Wembley for us, or have you forgotten that?

And I can vividly remember how shit we were whenever he was unavailable.

Amazing how some people forget things so easily.

Barnsley

Yes absolute boll9x

He wont or shouldn't ever be playing league 1 again. Unless its Sheffield Wednesday /Ipswich or Sunderland come in for him.

Every striker has a style the perception hes lazy is plain dumb. Hes a natural finisher and a good one at that. For me his all round game isnt as good as the other 3 strikers. Taking nothing away from him.

He would be a brilliant signing for a Hull /posh etc.

Would be wanting to get 500k back on him at least.

yeah you’d need 600K and a 30% sell on minimum given your original out lay.

rob9872

He was our top scorer last season, and has scored 3 this season from 0 full 90 minutes, we should rightfully ask for minimum 1,000,000
The thing with stats is you can interpret them how you like.

You could equally have posted that last season as top scorer he only scored 2 more than Biamou (7 v 5) and this year he has scored 2 league goals in 18 appearances.

Neither yours above or mine are a fair representation of what he's achieved and where he is, which is likely somewhere in the middle.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

He also helped win a play off final game at Wembley for us, or have you forgotten that?

I was more edging at the 8 years he spent not offering much whilst in the championship before.

he was good admittedly at league two level. I’d argue that McNnulty was more instrumental in that final and his 28 goals to get us there though

Sick Boy

…good to see you’ve still got the lower league mentality ingrained. He was average at best for the majority of his time at the club.

Grendel

Wonderful - so we paid him for 9 years in a higher league and had to experience two relegations to find his level

Grendel

Grendel

You dont know that either.

it was reported at the time of being in that ballpark. It’s clearly going to be a reasonable fee as he was with a championship club and he’d scored 30 goals in two seasons at the clubs he was loaned to which was at a better rate than godden who we paid £750k for from a league 1 club

Legia Sky Blue

Wonderful - so we paid him for 9 years in a higher league and had to experience two relegations to find his level

He was not in anyway responsible for our 2 relegations, and it could be argued that if he had been part of those teams we wouldn't have been relegated in the first place.

As for the original point Walker is not lazy. Robins would not give him the time of day if he was. He has also been unlucky in his time with us having badly timed injuries, covid and in us signing Gyokeres who has exceeded everyone's expectations. Football is full of ups and downs though and it is quite feasible that he could be a much more regular feature in the 2nd half of the season.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

He was not in anyway responsible for our 2 relegations, and it could be argued that if he had been part of those teams we wouldn't have been relegated in the first place.
tbat wasn’t the point he was making, the point is we paid Doyle for 9 years, and we had to get relegated twice to find Doyle’s natural level.

David O'Day

MR must be a clueless c##t , he also doesn’t think he’s good enough to be first choice, or second or third !!!
And the OP mentioned a move to Lincoln, another clueless c##t .
I think you’ve been on FIFA manager !!!

Once more but in English please Pub League

David O'Day

As for the original point Walker is not lazy. Robins would not give him the time of day if he was. He has also been unlucky in his time with us having badly timed injuries, covid and in us signing Gyokeres who has exceeded everyone's expectations. Football is full of ups and downs though and it is quite feasible that he could be a much more regular feature in the 2nd half of the season.

Doyle will having his uses was not a good footballer

Legia Sky Blue

tbat wasn’t the point he was making, the point is we paid Doyle for 9 years, and we had to get relegated twice to find Doyle’s natural level.

The same prejudices used against Walker were always evident in Doyle's distractors too, but kind of by using reverse logic. While Walker is accused of being lazy, Doyle was just a headless chicken who ran a lot. Both are simplistic nonsense, but of course they are the terms that football supporters like to base their opinions around.

Doyle was in his mid 30's when apparently he found his 'natural' level. However, in reality his natural level at his peak was lower/ mid table Championship whether you like it or not, as that is where he played in those peak years. While playing for us in his first spell he was also hamstrung mostly by having poor options alongside him, be it a disinterested Stephen Hughes, Sideways Sammy or ageing has beens like Cameron or MIchael Hughes. When he got to play alongside half decent players like Wise, Gudjonsson & Stephen Hughes (first season only), both he and the team performed better. While he might not have been good enough to have been part of an upper level Championship team, if he had been part of either of our relegated squads I doubt we would have gone down so meekly as we did.

Anyhow nice to go back in time and re-visit arguments from yesteryear. Can we discuss the merits of Carl Baker next :)

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

The same prejudices used against Walker were always evident in Doyle's distractors too, but kind of by using reverse logic. While Walker is accused of being lazy, Doyle was just a headless chicken who ran a lot. Both are simplistic nonsense, but of course they are the terms that football supporters like to base their opinions around.

Doyle was in his mid 30's when apparently he found his 'natural' level. However, in reality his natural level at his peak was lower/ mid table Championship whether you like it or not, as that is where he played in those peak years. While playing for us in his first spell he was also hamstrung mostly by having poor options alongside him, be it a disinterested Stephen Hughes, Sideways Sammy or ageing has beens like Cameron or MIchael Hughes. When he got to play alongside half decent players like Wise, Gudjonsson & Stephen Hughes (first season only), both he and the team performed better. While he might not have been good enough to have been part of an upper level Championship team, if he had been part of either of our relegated squads I doubt we would have gone down so meekly as we did.

Anyhow nice to go back in time and re-visit arguments from yesteryear. Can we discuss the merits of Carl Baker next :)
Hughes and Clingan were far better players, Doyle didn’t have the pace to tackle on time and his passing was abysmal.

like Walker, Hughes and Clingan were given the “lazy/disinterested“ tag.

im glad you mentioned Wise though, Doyle’s best games came coincidentally came when Wise was carrying him

Grendel

Hughes and Clingan were far better players, Doyle didn’t have the pace to tackle on time and his passing was abysmal.

like Walker, Hughes and Clingan were given the “lazy/disinterested“ tag.

im glad you mentioned Wise though, Doyle’s best games came coincidentally came when Wise was carrying him

Hughes was vastly superior - if he had a real defensive midfielder like wise with him at his peak it would have been a far better combination. Doyle was pathetic in terms of tackles and real midfield holding ability

Legia Sky Blue

Hughes and Clingan were technically better but offered far less to the team than Doyle, bar Hughes first season when he did perform well. Even though Doyle was viewed as inferior in quality to these players, he was far more effective than them, both in disrupting the opposition, galvanising our own team, and even in terms of goal scoring. Hughes and Clingan simply turned into safety first players who always took the simple option, which was the polar opposite to Wise. For me Doyle wasn't our problem in those years, it was the players we chose to partner him. Incidentally in his first spell Doyle wasn't as slow as pointed out either, that really is a case of re-writing history.

Anyhow we clearly disagree, no matter what i say nothing will change your minds and vice versa. This has digressed from Walker who is the here and now so maybe the discussion should revert to that!

fatso

Good post, unfortunately you are unlikely to convince the usual idiots.

Ccfcisparks

Nah mate she's already offered me money to take you away.

Pub League

giphy.gif

tommy hutch legend

Don't think walker fits in with our style of play shame really. Under a different manager or system may do well but good option to have off the bench imo

ccfc1234

In Sheaf and Hamer we have a more dynamic and ball playing central midfield than we have had for many a season. Doyle had the heart of a lion but even in his prime I think he would be 3rd or 4th choice in our current squad.

Terry_dactyl

Doyle will having his uses was not a good footballer
That’s right…He was a Great footballer!!

I waa
Good post, unfortunately you are unlikely to convince the usual idiots.
Or even the unusual ones?

I was really pissed off when we re-signed Doyle. I read an article shortly after, interviewing a Pompey fan who said they were not sure what he did when he played, but they were definitely worse when he didn’t play.
Never rated him first time around. Bit of a club legend/great servant to the club etc now.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

That’s right…He was a Great footballer!!

I waa

Or even the unusual ones?

I was really pissed off when we re-signed Doyle. I read an article shortly after, interviewing a Pompey fan who said they were not sure what he did when he played, but they were definitely worse when he didn’t play.
Never rated him first time around. Bit of a club legend/great servant to the club etc now.
I would say probably a cult hero rather than legend

Legia Sky Blue

Our record was far worse in L2 when Kelly had his spell out injured. Also, our form drastically improved when we moved him on from our L1 team.

Did you research anything to back this statement up? In our League 2 season Doyle missed 2 league games - both of which we lost. Kelly missed a dozen or so league games - did we lose all of them too? For the most part of our League 2 season Kelly wasn't that special. He did however improve significantly, as the team did as a whole towards the end of the season, and particularly in the play offs and he ended up playing a major part in that success.

To be fair your final sentence does have merit though. League 1 at that stage of his career proved a little beyond Doyle and we did improve after MR released him, and from which point Kelly really stepped up to the plate. I guess it could be argued that Kelly might also have stepped up as a leader in League 2 if Doyle had not been present too, although on the limited evidence of the 2 games Doyle missed and which incidentally Kelly played in, that wasn't so apparent at the time.

Finham

Or....alternatively, Wise went from being a washed up Southampton reserve who we got for nothing (same division as us remember then) to having a last hurrah as he had Doyle doing his running for him-the same as the best we saw McAllister play for us was with Carlton Fooking Palmer alongside him? Legia's right, it's not a matter of "good footballer/bad footballer", its a lot more nuanced!

Users who are viewing this thread