Women's Euros 2022 (1 Viewer)

Otis

2 Centre halves were the difference in opinion.
Really good footballers who could defend.
Yes, true, but I also thought Keira Walsh made the difference too. She just has this uncanny knack of playing killer balls and defence splitting passes that change games.

It’sabatch87

It’ll be interesting to see if crowds in the WSL improve, not sure what the pricing is like but surely they could give free tickets to local schools?
Same with all levels of womens football i suppose.

David O'Day

It’ll be interesting to see if crowds in the WSL improve, not sure what the pricing is like but surely they could give free tickets to local schools?
They do need to work on increasing the crowds at WSL games now. Sadly the domestic league still relies on the men's teams funding the womens teams.

Sick Boy

If they are so good and can “bring it home” as they all keep banging on about, let’s stick them in the proper European qualification groups, and see how well they get on then. Might shut the fuckers up a bit.
Are you talking about the men’s team?

The CableGuy

I really, really enjoyed that tournament. Great stuff..

Well done England Women. Showed the men how to win a really important game. The game management was fantastic.

It was great seeing the women just blasting goals in for fun in the semi vs Sweden, if that was the men's team we would have nicked a goal and then hung on for dear life.

Sarina Wiegman has only been in the role of England manager since September (after winning the Euro with the Netherlands). She's done in 10 months what no other England managers has done in over 50 years. She's brought it home.

The CableGuy

They do need to work on increasing the crowds at WSL games now. Sadly the domestic league still relies on the men's teams funding the womens teams.

Would be nice if they did double-headers now and then at the Arena - have Coventry United L.F.C playing first followed by City.

wingy

See the. German coach is moaning in the press that the mad scramble on our line didn't produce a penalty.
Thinks the VAR official should have asked the ref to go and look .

SkyBlueSoul

I had a quick look the other day. Living in Manchester I just looked at the teams up here and it's actually far better than a lot of non-league clubs in the area. They can't do much more price wise to bring people in, both are WSL teams.

1. Man City season tickets are £58. £6 matchday with U18s £1
  2. Man Utd's are £39. £6 matchday with U16's £3

David O'Day

See the. German coach is moaning in the press that the mad scramble on our line didn't produce a penalty.
Thinks the VAR official should have asked the ref to go and look .
watching it back and it could of been

Mucca Mad Boys

30 years of hurt, that tackle by Moore, when Lineaker scored etc.

It’s clearly about the mens side.

It takes away from their success to constantly compare them to the men.

The reason ‘Three Lions’ remains popular is because it captures the nations mood around failure and the dreaming of success.

I never seen Lineaker, Moore, Gazza or Psycho play football yet the sentiment of the song is just as relevant in 1996 as it is today.

For the women’s team, they had never won a major trophy before so the feelings of ‘thirty years of hurt’ and ‘It’s coming home’ is just as relevant.

In other areas, the women’s game piggy backs on the men’s to a degree. This song, however, belongs to everyone because it captures the national mood when it comes to football.

Otis

The reason ‘Three Lions’ remains popular is because it captures the nations mood around failure and the dreaming of success.

I never seen Lineaker, Moore, Gazza or Psycho play football yet the sentiment of the song is just as relevant in 1996 as it is today.

For the women’s team, they had never won a major trophy before so the feelings of ‘thirty years of hurt’ and ‘It’s coming home’ is just as relevant.

In other areas, the women’s game piggy backs on the men’s to a degree. This song, however, belongs to everyone because it captures the national mood when it comes to football.

I have to disagree unfortunately.

Screenshot_2022-08-01-06-00-56-45_aee2dc313af8a92a16fcafcae1270359.jpg

So that's it then. No more years of hurt for the England men's team? 🤷

Women's football here in England didn't even become professional until the 2018/19 season.

The men's World Cup started in 1930 and the women's equivalent didn't even start until 1991 and we didn't complete until 1995.

I think this "no more years of hurt" and "it's come home" just cheapens the whole notion of what it was all about.

I have been all over the women's game lately and have really loved this tournament and been utterly positive about the England team and players, so no-one can describe me as at all negative on this topic, but the hurt IS still there for the men and the whole notion of 30 years of hurt and it "coming home" was in the MEN'S game, because England HAD been playing and competing and won the World Cup in 1966 and it was thought as a sea change for the England team and game back then and it's all been pretty much downhill since.

England men have on the whole, been very much in decline since 1966 and the England women have been on the rise, so the "no more years of hurt" doesn't make any sense really in the women's game.

Where do we go from here for the England men's game, now we have "no more years of hurt?" 🤷

It was definitely about the men. The song, the sentiment, the timescale.

Let the women be the women.

I feel this just cheapens it. I am so delighted we won and I have watched every England warm up game and friendly for a number of years, so have felt fully invested in the England women's game, but the hurt is still there for the men, so how can it be no more years of hurt? It doesn't even make any sense.

Otis

They are saying there are no more years of hurt, when in the men's game there clearly still is and the sentiment was all about the men's game in the first place, so...🤷

OffenhamSkyBlue

I have previously had a bit of a negative attitude towards the women's game, after trying to watch a few matches (between clubs that were supposed to be in the higher echelons of the English game, and even internationals) and being frankly quite shocked as to how poor the standard was.

This tournament (and last night as a case in point) has changed my view: the level of skill, killer through-passes, movement off the ball, making themselves available, game management and freedom to enjoy the game have been quite superb.

I wonder how long before someone of the calibre of Sarina Wiegman gets a chance in the men's game? I'd far rather watch a game played by people she was coaching than the negative dirge Southgate is presiding over. Or maybe the England men's players are just not very good!

I do find the Three Lions and "It's come home" approach a bit cheesy and predictable when, as Otis has said, the "23 Lionesses" are creating their own history. It still hurts that the men haven't won anything since 66, and saying the women have taken that away is no more correct than if we had said it about the 2003 Rugby World Cup.
But it was great to see an English team (in any sport, either sex) win a major international tournament again.

PS Did Chloe Kelly get booked for taking her shirt off? A man would have been!

David O'Day

I have previously had a bit of a negative attitude towards the women's game, after trying to watch a few matches (between clubs that were supposed to be in the higher echelons of the English game, and even internationals) and being frankly quite shocked as to how poor the standard was.

This tournament (and last night as a case in point) has changed my view: the level of skill, killer through-passes, movement off the ball, making themselves available, game management and freedom to enjoy the game have been quite superb.

I wonder how long before someone of the calibre of Sarina Wiegman gets a chance in the men's game? I'd far rather watch a game played by people she was coaching than the negative dirge Southgate is presiding over. Or maybe the England men's players are just not very good!

I do find the Three Lions and "It's come home" approach a bit cheesy and predictable when, as Otis has said, the "23 Lionesses" are creating their own history. It still hurts that the men haven't won anything since 66, and saying the women have taken that away is no more correct than if we had said it about the 2003 Rugby World Cup.
But it was great to see an English team (in any sport, either sex) win a major international tournament again.

PS Did Chloe Kelly get booked for taking her shirt off? A man would have been!
yes, she was

Winny the Bish

Moore needs to take tips from Mary Earps about when to come out for a cross.

Her, Bright, Williamson and Walsh all put in excellent performances.

OffenhamSkyBlue

I thought Millie Bright was caught off-guard or out of position a few times last night. Earps is a great keeper, with a great command of her box, though she won't have been pleased by being beaten at the near post for their goal.

covmark

All this no more years of hurt and 3 lions stuff needs to be left behind. It's a nonsense.

I'm pleased they won it, and fair play to them. But the way I feel is the same as when England won the Rugby World Cup, or when one of our athletes win a gold medal at the Olympics.
It's nowhere near how I felt when I went batshit mental, when Kane scored v Demark or when Gyo scored yesterday against Sunderland. It's probably because I've invested a lot of time in my life watching, and in the most part, being disappointed by these teams, and I just don't have that enthusiasm for the ladies game.

As I say though, well done to them. A great achievement to win any major tournament, in any sport

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

OffenhamSkyBlue

Having listened to the cringe-fest on 5Live this morning, i'm glad i watched it on telly rather than listen on the radio - I find Vicki Sharp's commentary very screechy and her vocal style just irritates me (as do some male commentators). Robyn Cowen on BBC1, on the other hand, was a really great commentator and enjoyable to listen to.

Grendel

I didn’t watch it but then again I hardly bother watching the men’s internationals - I watch the big games but even winning the euros would have been forgotten by me in the morning

I don’t see why they compare the sports. Andy Goode isn’t the best person to support a debate but he said something in social media about not making a semi final since whenever and was told he was disrespecting the fact that the women have. He replied in typical Goode style but he’s correct

I hate that stupid three lions song anyway with that smug twerp Baddiel but if it means the end of that it’s the best outcome

I don’t get the need to integrate these team sports. Tennis is pretty equal in slams but when Murray won Wimbledon the references were to Fred Perry not Virginia Wade and when Radacanu was in the US open all references to the last winner were about Wade not Murray

The media and the sport tries too hard really to use the men’s game and piggy back off it. Having franchised big branded premier teams hardly helps either but it has to attract club supporters by being a valid attractive sport - not because it’s Man City vs Chelsea

NorthernWisdom

Only watched last night, and was surprisingly impressed by the quality. I know the final should be half-decent as they're the best teams, but it was night and day compared to when I last watched a game.

Sky Blue Pete

I didn’t watch it but then again I hardly bother watching the men’s internationals - I watch the big games but even winning the euros would have been forgotten by me in the morning

I don’t see why they compare the sports. Andy Goode isn’t the best person to support a debate but he said something in social media about not making a semi final since whenever and was told he was disrespecting the fact that the women have. He replied in typical Goode style but he’s correct

I hate that stupid three lions song anyway with that smug twerp Baddiel but if it means the end of that it’s the best outcome

I don’t get the need to integrate these team sports. Tennis is pretty equal in slams but when Murray won Wimbledon the references were to Fred Perry not Virginia Wade and when Radacanu was in the US open all references to the last winner were about Wade not Murray

The media and the sport tries too hard really to use the men’s game and piggy back off it. Having franchised big branded premier teams hardly helps either but it has to attract club supporters by being a valid attractive sport - not because it’s Man City vs Chelsea
You missed a moment I think. As northern says the quality was good

Otis

You missed a moment I think. As northern says the quality was good
It was. And look at some of the goals that England have scored in this tournament. Stanway's was superb and then Toone's was world class and Russo's, out of this world.

And Walsh can pick a pass as good as anyone in the men's game.

The skill is there. I definitely now want to go and watch some women's games in person..

CCFCSteve

Agree with this. Same has been mentioned about Emma Hayes (Chelsea manager) before. There’s no reason why not really, Weigman is obviously an outstanding manager. Nobody will know if that will translate to the mens game until someone takes a punt…you can imagine the interest it would bring to club/team though and that might enough for someone to give it a go

Although male, i thought it was interesting that ECB went with Mott as white ball coach who was successful with the Aussie womens team. It’s not working out too great at the moment (needs time to be fair) but shows there’s a recognition that if you’re a good manager/coach in woman’s sport you might do a decent job in mens.

Sky Blue Pete

It was. And look at some of the goals that England have scored in this tournament. Stanway's was superb and then Toone's was world class and Russo's, out of this world.

The skill is there. I definitely now want to go and watch some women's games in person..
For the goals and the tops being taken off Otis? Me too I think I’d like to take my girls up to see if they enjoy it

CCFCSteve

Agree about Toone, ice cold finish that ! Defending and keeping* needs improvement but some of the passing and attacking play was really good

*not England, from the limited amount I’ve seen, Williamson looks a very good footballer

Users who are viewing this thread