Women's Euros 2022 (1 Viewer)

OffenhamSkyBlue

It was great to see so many people there (biggest attendance for a Euros final, men's or women's), but again the comparison sticks in the throat when you look at the price of tickets. Adult tickets for last night's match ranged from £15 to £50.
The cost of a final ticket for Euro 2020 (last June): £250 to £811 :O

It could be argued that you don't want to put people off by pricing the tickets too high, but the women's game NEEDS investment that could come from ticket sales, in part.

NorthernWisdom

Agree with this. Same has been mentioned about Emma Hayes (Chelsea manager) before. There’s no reason why not really, Weigman is obviously an outstanding manager. Nobody will know if that will translate to the mens game until someone takes a punt…you can imagine the interest it would bring to club/team though and that might enough for someone to give it a go
Already been tried with Cherie Lunghi.

Liquid Gold

I also saw a post with a shit load of likes on Twitter complaining that she got a yellow for taking her shirt off after scoring and it was pure sexism and would never happen in the mens game.

It’s bought a lot of people who haven’t got a scooby about football out of the woodwork. Hopefully they get invested in their local WSL team and pick it up but it’s a bit embarrassing at points.

CCFCSteve

I also saw a post with a shit load of likes on Twitter complaining that she got a yellow for taking her shirt off after scoring and it was pure sexism and would never happen in the mens game.

It’s bought a lot of people who haven’t got a scooby about football out of the woodwork. Hopefully they get invested in their local WSL team and pick it up but it’s a bit embarrassing at points.

There’s a Bill Burr gag on his recent stand up when he’s talking about how there’s all these complaints about womens sports not being supported/financed enough, yet a lot of the women complaining don’t even bother going themselves and would prefer to watch tat on tv* Obviously a tiny bit stereotypical and its a gag, but there’s an element of truth in that.

Hopefully this will spur many on, especially in the younger generations. It’s cheap and I’d also say it’s probably a safer/nicer atmosphere for very young kids at the moment

*Don’t worry all, he also jokes about the thick atypical male sports fan getting smashed at the sports bar so a bit of rounded sexism

Grendel

I read social media editor for the Daily Express in her bio, and instantly understood tbf.

You jest but on phone ins People now saying they are better than the 66 team and the captain should be viewed as the same as Bobby Moore

Someone said they’ve monitored the game versus the mens in 66 and the womens game yesterday was quicker and that they would have beaten the 66 team

chiefdave

This is just silly & undoing a lot of the goodwill

This kind of stuff is just an easy target for those that want to bash the womens game.

Having worked in ticketing for several years the key metric is revenue so while its an amazing achievement to fill Wembley the revenue will be way down compared to the mens final. Quick google for yesterday suggests tickets were £15 - £50, for the men it was £82 - £808.

Frostie

This kind of stuff is just an easy target for those that want to bash the womens game.

Having worked in ticketing for several years the key metric is revenue so while its an amazing achievement to fill Wembley the revenue will be way down compared to the mens final. Quick google for yesterday suggests tickets were £15 - £50, for the men it was £82 - £808.

Exactly, she's doing the opposite of what she's trying to achieve.

Euro 2020 Final was only allowed 75% capacity too.

Notice she doesn't compare TV audiences...

David O'Day

Exactly, she's doing the opposite of what she's trying to achieve.

Euro 2020 Final was only allowed 75% capacity too.

Notice she doesn't compare TV audiences...
it is an awful tweet

and yeah the tv ratings for the mens final were double

OffenhamSkyBlue

There is clearly an MSM agenda to "push" women's sport (whether it is the Beeb because that's the only sport they can afford?) but they predicted the semi "would be watched by an estimated 14m" - it was 9m in fact - and that 2m people would be going to watch it at the pub. I didn't know any pubs that were showing the semi, so how true this was, i don't know.

Mucca Mad Boys

I have to disagree unfortunately.

View attachment 25573

So that's it then. No more years of hurt for the England men's team? 🤷

Women's football here in England didn't even become professional until the 2018/19 season.

The men's World Cup started in 1930 and the women's equivalent didn't even start until 1991 and we didn't complete until 1995.

I think this "no more years of hurt" and "it's come home" just cheapens the whole notion of what it was all about.

I have been all over the women's game lately and have really loved this tournament and been utterly positive about the England team and players, so no-one can describe me as at all negative on this topic, but the hurt IS still there for the men and the whole notion of 30 years of hurt and it "coming home" was in the MEN'S game, because England HAD been playing and competing and won the World Cup in 1966 and it was thought as a sea change for the England team and game back then and it's all been pretty much downhill since.

England men have on the whole, been very much in decline since 1966 and the England women have been on the rise, so the "no more years of hurt" doesn't make any sense really in the women's game.

Where do we go from here for the England men's game, now we have "no more years of hurt?" 🤷

It was definitely about the men. The song, the sentiment, the timescale.

Let the women be the women.

I feel this just cheapens it. I am so delighted we won and I have watched every England warm up game and friendly for a number of years, so have felt fully invested in the England women's game, but the hurt is still there for the men, so how can it be no more years of hurt? It doesn't even make any sense.

We’re singing on slightly different hymn sheets here.

I agree that the women winning a trophy doesn’t end the years of hurt and the notion of ‘no more years of hurt’

The women’s team hadn’t won anything since 1984 and they had their own brush with pain in 2009. So clearly the sentiment was just as valid for both the men and women’s sport

Football is our sport and we created it so whenever any of our teams do well (including in rugby and cricket), there’s the sentiment that ‘it’s coming home’.

In many ways, I agree that the women’s game need to forge its own path, identity and legends.

The song ‘Three Lions’ transcends generational and gender divides because it captures the nations relationship with football. We share the pain of successive failures.

It’s why the popularity of ‘Three Lions’ has endured such a long time compared to other England songs like ‘we’re on the ball’, ‘vindaloo’ or ‘world in motion’.

Seamus1

You jest but on phone ins People now saying they are better than the 66 team and the captain should be viewed as the same as Bobby Moore

Someone said they’ve monitored the game versus the mens in 66 and the womens game yesterday was quicker and that they would have beaten the 66 team

With the same ball as they used in 1966?

Otis

See the. German coach is moaning in the press that the mad scramble on our line didn't produce a penalty.
Thinks the VAR official should have asked the ref to go and look .
Do we think there is any merit at all in that claim?

A few German papers saying they were cheated.

Screenshot_2022-08-01-17-23-02-08_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

I would like to know how England cheated. There weren't any English officials in the VAR booth.

leah-williamson-handball-640x360.png

wingy

Do we think there is any merit at all in that claim?

A few German papers saying they were cheated.

View attachment 25585

I would like to know how England cheated. There weren't any English officials in the VAR booth.
I wonder if when they blame Var for not referring back to the ref, what they really expected or wanted out of it was a bit more of her early inconsistencies to play a part
Surprising really for what are believed to be quite rational people

Makes you wonder whether the coach may be under pressure of losing her job.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

30 years of hurt, that tackle by Moore, when Lineaker scored etc.

It’s clearly about the mens side.

It takes away from their success to constantly compare them to the men.
A great achievement for the women but there is absolutely no comparison to the men's game at all. If they want to sing the song then that's great but let's face it it was written for the men's game.
The ladies should perhaps record the song again with David Badiel and put their own lyrics to it.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I have to disagree unfortunately.

View attachment 25573

So that's it then. No more years of hurt for the England men's team? 🤷

Women's football here in England didn't even become professional until the 2018/19 season.

The men's World Cup started in 1930 and the women's equivalent didn't even start until 1991 and we didn't complete until 1995.

I think this "no more years of hurt" and "it's come home" just cheapens the whole notion of what it was all about.

I have been all over the women's game lately and have really loved this tournament and been utterly positive about the England team and players, so no-one can describe me as at all negative on this topic, but the hurt IS still there for the men and the whole notion of 30 years of hurt and it "coming home" was in the MEN'S game, because England HAD been playing and competing and won the World Cup in 1966 and it was thought as a sea change for the England team and game back then and it's all been pretty much downhill since.

England men have on the whole, been very much in decline since 1966 and the England women have been on the rise, so the "no more years of hurt" doesn't make any sense really in the women's game.

Where do we go from here for the England men's game, now we have "no more years of hurt?" 🤷

It was definitely about the men. The song, the sentiment, the timescale.

Let the women be the women.

I feel this just cheapens it. I am so delighted we won and I have watched every England warm up game and friendly for a number of years, so have felt fully invested in the England women's game, but the hurt is still there for the men, so how can it be no more years of hurt? It doesn't even make any sense.
Doesn't make up one little bit for the failure of the men to win a major trophy. No more years of hurt doesn't apply to those of us who have followed the game forever no matter how much of an achievement it was for the women to win.
No more years of hurt is nonsense.

Otis

A great achievement for the women but there is absolutely no comparison to the men's game at all. If they want to sing the song then that's great but let's face it it was written for the men's game.
The ladies should perhaps record the song again with David Badiel and put their own lyrics to it.

"Three lions on their shirts, breasts are clearly gleaming

No more years of hurt and here we are all creaming."

Alan Dugdales Moustache

"Three lions on their shirts, breasts are clearly gleaming

No more years of hurt and here we are all creaming."
Superb . You should send this on.

SkyBlueSoul

Just got an email through about the England v USA game in October (now being billed as European v World champions). Thought I'd have a look at prices, probably not going to go with it being a Friday night but was curious.

~106,000th in the queue, over an hour until I can get on the ticketing site which I doubt would have happened before the tournament

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Just got an email through about the England v USA game in October (now being billed as European v World champions). Thought I'd have a look at prices, probably not going to go with it being a Friday night but was curious.

~106,000th in the queue, over an hour until I can get on the ticketing site which I doubt would have happened before the tournament
Not surprised given the current hype .
However, the real test comes when the domestic season kicks in. Some of these top clubs get barely 1000 a game.

SkyBlueSoul

It will be interesting to see if there's any kind of uplift, or at least how long it lasts. I suspect there'll be improved attendances that gradually fall away, with the occasional big crowd for things like the Manchester derby. The WSL is on during the world cup as well so can see that and the cold weather keeping people away and it not picking up from there.

Hope I'm wrong but seems likely in my eyes

Brighton Sky Blue

It will be interesting to see if there's any kind of uplift, or at least how long it lasts. I suspect there'll be improved attendances that gradually fall away, with the occasional big crowd for things like the Manchester derby. The WSL is on during the world cup as well so can see that and the cold weather keeping people away and it not picking up from there.

Hope I'm wrong but seems likely in my eyes

Just a pity they kicked out the teams who had taken women’s football seriously in the first place then brought in all the same plastic crap from the men’s. As I recall Man Utd had to be dragged kicking and screaming to accept the place they were gifted

SkyBlueSoul

Sigh. Forgot about this and left the tab open

a) turns out it was a 3 hour queue
b) it plays a nice little chime to let you know you're in
c) I now have a ticket

David O'Day

There's a 3 plan already in place to try and treble the average gates in the WSL.

This can only help - no you can sell games like this

"Fancy going to see a Manchester Derby with much easier to get and cheaper tickets in a much more family friendly atmosphere with a lack of the nasty edge a big mens game can have in the crowd? Fancy seeing Mary Earps, Alessia Russo, Ella Toone and Keira Walsh?"

Otis

I tried to have a look on the Coventry Women's website just out of interest. Not been updated for ages and the "upcoming" matches are all last season's. Not a word about the England women's victory either on their FB page.

The FB page was last updated 4 days ago.

Have to think they are missing a trick here. Bet they have had loads of hits, especially from young girls wanting to get into the game.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

There's a 3 plan already in place to try and treble the average gates in the WSL.

This can only help - no you can sell games like this

"Fancy going to see a Manchester Derby with much easier to get and cheaper tickets in a much more family friendly atmosphere with a lack of the nasty edge a big mens game can have in the crowd? Fancy seeing Mary Earps, Alessia Russo, Ella Toone and Keira Walsh?"
And most people would probably say no.

SkyBlueSoul

I hate giving him airtime but Richard Keys claiming, in a round about way, that him being sexist paved the way for the women winning the Euros

Users who are viewing this thread