Yorkshire Cricket racism scandal (2 Viewers)

PVA

I *try* to empathise with people, work out where they're coming from. I could see, just about, how Ballance could be woefully misguided, and not realise he was causing offence. What's truly astonishing is the conclusions of the investigation, in effect condoning it, and also encouraging it in their own way.

Absolutely.

To say that 'P**i' is just banter and no action is required yet 'Zimbo' is racist and would require disciplinary action is just astonishing.

JAM See

I *try* to empathise with people, work out where they're coming from. I could see, just about, how Ballance could be woefully misguided, and not realise he was causing offence. What's truly astonishing is the conclusions of the investigation, in effect condoning it, and also encouraging it in their own way.
A few years ago I worked with a bloke who'd not long come over to England from Bangladesh.

He used the P word to describe people from Pakistan, as that was the term that was used in Bangladesh. We pointed out that it had completely different connotations in Blighty.

He expressed surprise, apologised profusely and never used that term again.

Hard to believe the 'banter' explanation from YCC.

robbiekeane

He used the P word to describe people from Pakistan, as that was the term that was used in Bangladesh. We pointed out that it had completely different connotations in Blighty.

He expressed surprise, apologised profusely and never used that term again.
Same in the US. Have a friend who’s family is Pakistani and he kept saying it casually in sentences. He was very surprised when I told him it and it was a bit of an awkward one because he himself was Pakistani! I sort of felt like the idiot haha

Sky Blue Pete

As well as repeatedly calling him a p**i, he apparently:

* Told other people “don't talk to Rafiq, he's a P**i”

* Asked Rafiq “is that your uncle?” when bearded Asian men were in view

* Said in reference to corner shops, “Does your Dad own those?”

Despite all this, and the fact that Rafiq was seen crying after one of the incidents, this Ballance guy was cleared and it was all dismissed as ‘banter’

Just to top it all off, Yorkshire Cricket Club doubled down and refused to do anything even after this came out, but did say that Rafiq would face disciplinary action if he was still there, because he called Ballance ‘zimbo’, an inoffensive abbreviation of ‘Zimbabwean’.
The zimbo stuff does sound like banter between the two of them the other comments are criminal really

Warthog

Very sad to see the response of several sponsors. Will have a hugely negative effect on the community and I’m baffled as to why people are revelling in it on social media.

chiefdave

Can anyone connected with Yorkshire make a statement on this without digging themselves into a hole?

stay_up_skyblues

Can anyone connected with Yorkshire make a statement on this without digging themselves into a hole?

Apparently there was an unscheduled board meeting today. Not sure on the structure of things but I’d be amazed if there wasn’t a slew of resignations. As it should be.

chiefdave

Apparently there was an unscheduled board meeting today. Not sure on the structure of things but I’d be amazed if there wasn’t a slew of resignations. As it should be.
Surely by this point they can't still think 'head in the sand' is the best way forward. They've lost all their sponsors, had all their England games removed and lost their Hundred team. There's been many stages in this where a different course of action, actually admitting they'd done wrong and taking the appropriate action, would have been the end of it.

The next problem for them seems to be that Colin Graves is being lined up to be their rescuer.

stay_up_skyblues

Surely by this point they can't still think 'head in the sand' is the best way forward. They've lost all their sponsors, had all their England games removed and lost their Hundred team. There's been many stages in this where a different course of action, actually admitting they'd done wrong and taking the appropriate action, would have been the end of it.

The next problem for them seems to be that Colin Graves is being lined up to be their rescuer.

Honestly can’t see anything other than mass resignations and a (hopefully genuine) massive effort to revamp it from top to bottom. New, modern thinking, blood in high positions, formal policies, training and education etc. basically what a lot of industries did years ago.

Some sort of restorative CSR wouldn’t go amiss either. I’m sure they can come up with some anti racism/inclusive community charity work/projects.

Sbarcher

Obviously totally offensive to use the P word, but can someone guide me here..... a genuine query.
Is it now offensive to call a national an Aussi, Jock, Paddy, Taffy etc.

clint van damme

Obviously totally offensive to use the P word, but can someone guide me here..... a genuine query.
Is it now offensive to call a national an Aussi, Jock, Paddy, Taffy etc.

Is your next question going yo be is it any worse than calling someone a name because they're fat or bald?

chiefdave

Honestly can’t see anything other than mass resignations and a (hopefully genuine) massive effort to revamp it from top to bottom. New, modern thinking, blood in high positions, formal policies, training and education etc. basically what a lot of industries did years ago.

Some sort of restorative CSR wouldn’t go amiss either. I’m sure they can come up with some anti racism/inclusive community charity work/projects.
The Yorkshire chairman, Hutton has resigned and doesn't seem to be going quietly. Says he "experienced a culture that refuses to accept change or challenge". The talk thought out this has been that he has tried to act but been blocked by others at the club.

Vaughan's attempt to get ahead of things seems to be backfiring with other players now saying they heard the racist comments he claimed he definitely didn't say in his article in the Telegraph despite them being in the still yet to be published report. To be honest the whole of his article doesn't do him any favours, don't know who is doing PR for Yorkshire and their players but they're doing an appalling job.

Sbarcher

Is your next question going yo be is it any worse than calling someone a name because they're fat or bald?
No it's not, don't even know why you might think that. My brother in law is Welsh and his mates call him Taffy, as far as I know he has never thought this to be offensive.

clint van damme

No it's not, don't even know why you might think that. My brother in law is Welsh and his mates call him Taffy, as far as I know he has never thought this to be offensive.

Are there far right organisations that use taffy as a racial slur and indiscriminately attack Welsh people?

Sbarcher

Of course you don't.
FFS, I come on here to read some serious debate and sometimes a bit of light-hearted to and fro. I asked a serious question and now I'm being effing sledged!
I'll tell you what, my life's pretty shit, with somedays shittier than others so I think for my sanity I will take a step back for now. When things get personal, it's time for me to stop.

clint van damme

FFS, I come on here to read some serious debate and sometimes a bit of light-hearted to and fro. I asked a serious question and now I'm being effing sledged!
I'll tell you what, my life's pretty shit, with somedays shittier than others so I think for my sanity I will take a step back for now. When things get personal, it's time for me to stop.

Personal? If you think my replies were personal then you're probably right to step back because you're letting very trivial things get to you.
Good luck.

rob9872

I've eaten Yorkshire pudding, drank Yorkshire tea, eaten a Yorkie bar and stroked a Yorkshire terrier .... but I've never met a nice South African.

Sky Blue Pete

Can’t believe there are any white Yorkshiremen that would be racist towards the Pakistani community.

just as you think progress is being made you realise it was just a facade

I remember being at a Pakistani England one day international at Edgbaston when someone was stabbed in the jack Hollis stand. I was only mid teens or late teens so 80’s and every time Pakistan shouted ‘Pakistan’ the english fans responded with ‘fuck off home’
Can you imagine that incident being investigated and those involved saying we didn’t mean they weren’t members of our community it was that we just wanted them to go home.
Clear direct racial discrimination has been criminal for such a long time and that’s what this was. For Yorkshire to bury it shows a lack of awareness akin to Raab and his Dover comments or Johnson and Ireland with his bridge over the Irish sea

It’s never gonna change is it? There will always be people who in order to feel better will put someone else in a box or belittle them and when someone says that’s not right they’ll do what we now term an ‘Owen Patterson’ I’ve done nothing wrong I only meant blah blah blah

At least Ballance owned it in spite of some staggering racial abuse to a ‘friend’ and ‘work colleague’ but that’s the only credit he gets

I know from personal cases I have at work how stories like this make friends and colleagues of minority communities feel and it’s just so backward and unevolved

rob9872

Can’t believe there are any white Yorkshiremen that would be racist towards the Pakistani community.

just as you think progress is being made you realise it was just a facade

I remember being at a Pakistani England one day international at Edgbaston when someone was stabbed in the jack Hollis stand. I was only mid teens or late teens so 80’s and every time Pakistan shouted ‘Pakistan’ the english fans responded with ‘fuck off home’
Can you imagine that incident being investigated and those involved saying we didn’t mean they weren’t members of our community it was that we just wanted them to go home.
Clear direct racial discrimination has been criminal for such a long time and that’s what this was. For Yorkshire to bury it shows a lack of awareness akin to Raab and his Dover comments or Johnson and Ireland with his bridge over the Irish sea

It’s never gonna change is it? There will always be people who in order to feel better will put someone else in a box or belittle them and when someone says that’s not right they’ll do what we now term an ‘Owen Patterson’ I’ve done nothing wrong I only meant blah blah blah

At least Ballance owned it in spite of some staggering racial abuse to a ‘friend’ and ‘work colleague’ but that’s the only credit he gets

I know from personal cases I have at work how stories like this make friends and colleagues of minority communities feel and it’s just so backward and unevolved
There's a whole thread on politics Pete, let's not bring it into this where it has no place. This is about racism at a Cricket club versus an individual and is abhorrent without the need for petty political gain. Plenty of mud to sling on both sides of the fence in that score.

Of lesser importance I assume it was the Eric Hoillies rather than Jack.

David O'Day

There's a whole thread on politics Pete, let's not bring it into this where it has no place. This is about racism at a Cricket club versus an individual and is abhorrent without the need for petty political gain. Plenty of mud to sling on both sides of the fence in that score.

He was talking about racism at a cricket match and racism towards the pakistani community

rob9872

He was talking about racism at a cricket match and racism towards the pakistani community
And brought into it Raab, Johnson and Patterson, is that too difficult to comprehend?

CCFCSteve

Unravelling at Yorkshire...three of the board resigned, further accusation, loss of loads of sponsors and test match. And to think all they need to do was take action against/discipline the culprits 🤦‍♂️

Sky Blue Pete

Yes it was

Sky Blue Pete

Some horrible stuff coming back out.

Root had bad advice as well didnt he? I didn’t see any racism. Well you were either blind and as a senior player shouldn’t have been or you have maybe lied or not recognised what was going on. Sin of omission is still a sin

Root should have said it’s tragic for it to happen at my county. Maybe an apology for it being allowed, maybe he hopes he’s never been overtly racist but if he has then he’s truly sorry and thinks we all need to learn from this

Skybluefaz

Root had bad advice as well didnt he? I didn’t see any racism. Well you were either blind and as a senior player shouldn’t have been or you have maybe lied or not recognised what was going on. Sin of omission is still a sin

Root should have said it’s tragic for it to happen at my county. Maybe an apology for it being allowed, maybe he hopes he’s never been overtly racist but if he has then he’s truly sorry and thinks we all need to learn from this
Quite. Perhaps he was blind to it such was the extent of it. You are correct though.

Users who are viewing this thread