Yorkshire Cricket racism scandal (2 Viewers)

rob9872

Root had bad advice as well didnt he? I didn’t see any racism. Well you were either blind and as a senior player shouldn’t have been or you have maybe lied or not recognised what was going on. Sin of omission is still a sin

Root should have said it’s tragic for it to happen at my county. Maybe an apology for it being allowed, maybe he hopes he’s never been overtly racist but if he has then he’s truly sorry and thinks we all need to learn from this
Really? He should apologise for the actions of others even if he's not heard anything? Whilst racism is abhorrent and some of the stuff coming out is dreadful, I don't see why it should fall on him if he hasn't done or seen it which was an answer to a direct question. Let's educate and eradicate not become apologists simply to appease the masses. Root has stood should er to shoulder against racism and accepts that things need to change, but we can't simply assume he's been part of the problem.

Don't forget Root's been with England since quite a young cricketer and therefore not always around so may well not have seen or heard anything and not really for you or anyone else to question his integrity unless you proof to the contrary.

Really disappointing post Pete.

Skybluefaz

Really? He should apologise for the actions of others even if he's not heard anything? Whilst racism is abhorrent and some of the stuff coming out is dreadful, I don't see why it should fall on him if he hasn't done or seen it which was an answer to a direct question. Let's educate and eradicate not become apologists simply to appease the masses. Root has stood should er to shoulder against racism and accepts that things need to change, but we can't simply assume he's been part of the problem.

Don't forget Root's been with England since quite a young cricketer and therefore not always around so may well not have seen or heard anything and not really for you or anyone else to question his integrity unless you proof to the contrary.

Really disappointing post Pete.
Root said he hadn't witnessed any racism Rob, Rafiq said Root had been present at the social events when the abuse was being chucked around although not joined in so although Rooty has not been racist directly clearly someone is lying.

rob9872

Root said he hadn't witnessed any racism Rob, Rafiq said Root had been present at the social events when the abuse was being chucked around although not joined in so although Rooty has not been racist directly clearly someone is lying.
Quite possibly, but why must that be Root? Not saying it's Rafiq either, but we simply don't and can't know. Equally it is possible that he could have been there and not heard it. A social event could have been pissed, drowned by music, a different part of the room any number of reasons. Not making excuses for him, but countering the assumption that he's automatically guilty by association.

Flip side is it's not always easy to stand up. Again inexcusable but I know in the past I've heard things at football and whilst I've not joined in, I've also not challenged as I didn't fancy getting my head kicked in. These days I would (challenge them that is, not want my head kicked!) as I'd hope others around me would back me up.

Sky Blue Pete

Quite possibly, but why must that be Root? Not saying it's Rafiq either, but we simply don't and can't know. Equally it is possible that he could have been there and not heard it. A social event could have been pissed, drowned by music, a different part of the room any number of reasons. Not making excuses for him, but countering the assumption that he's automatically guilty by association.

Flip side is it's not always easy to stand up. Again inexcusable but I know in the past I've heard things at football and whilst I've not joined in, I've also not challenged as I didn't fancy getting my head kicked in. These days I would (challenge them that is, not want my head kicked!) as I'd hope others around me would back me up.
That’s what I mean really. Facts and evidence will come out to show whether I was unfair or not. I’ve worked at Hmrc for 30 years if I was asked if I’d ever witnessed any racist behaviour and said no I would be a liar. At the very least root (and I love him and admire him) should be asking questions why first class cricket is not accessible for Asian players. I have no axe with root he is like many of us who don’t stand up to others. It’s more the advice. Say it’s awful, say we need to learn and do better. Apologise to Rafiq for what he’s been through don’t make the story something you may regret. I have never witnessed any racism at Yorkshire cricket club. Mmmmm

Sorry to frustrate you with my post. I wasn’t hanging root out to dry I was saying Rafiq has been to hell and back. Start by listening, start by acknowledging and don’t move on to defending yourself or your organisation until you have and only if you’re certain of your ground.

David O'Day

Because root went on record as saying he couldn't recall any racism. Rafiq says he was there.

Rafiq also pointed out that he thinks Root is a good man and if he genuinely can't remember any racism even though he was there at the time then it shows who rampant it was.

clint van damme

Just heard some of Rafiqs testimony, fucking hell, unbelievable.
As that journalist (cant remember his name), said when this first broke, this won't be just a Yorkshire issue and will shake cricket, seems he was right.

CCFCSteve

Just heard some of Rafiqs testimony, fucking hell, unbelievable.
As that journalist (cant remember his name), said when this first broke, this won't be just a Yorkshire issue and will shake cricket, seems he was right.

Its shocking really. There is no doubt a lot of the stuff would have been said as dressing room ‘banter’ but it’s like the cricket world was still operating on 70/80s In Sickness and in health ‘banter’

PVA

The number of people (not on here, but on social media) trying to downplay this, or defend it, or excuse it, or turn it round on Rafiq, is fucking disgusting. Fuck this shitty little racist country.

oscillatewildly

So you're happy to live with racism? You'd rather someone who is anti-racist leaves the country than actual racists?

Crikey.
You've just castigated the whole nation as 'racist' - owing to some comments you've read on social media.
Your general overview of said nation wasn't particularly glowing either.
I'm therefore surprised your'e still here.

PVA

You've just castigated the whole nation as 'racist' - owing to some comments you've read on social media.
Your general overview of said nation wasn't particularly glowing either.
I'm therefore surprised your'e still here.

I said 'the number of people'. I didn't say everyone. There's a chunk of this country, far too big of a chunk, that is racist. That is pretty undeniable.

We literally have a racist as prime minister, so I think calling it a racist country is a pretty valid statement.

oscillatewildly

I said 'the number of people'. I didn't say everyone. There's a chunk of this country, far too big of a chunk, that is racist. That is pretty undeniable.

We literally have a racist as prime minister, so I think calling it a racist country is a pretty valid statement.
My god.

CCFCSteve

The number of people (not on here, but on social media) trying to downplay this, or defend it, or excuse it, or turn it round on Rafiq, is fucking disgusting. Fuck this shitty little racist country.

Its not a racist country. Unfortunately we have a mixture of, for want of a better phrase, generational racists (people who’s attitudes are just stuck in the past) and a noisey, horrible minority which makes it feel like there are more than there are. I also think institutionalised/ingrained racism is being called out more these days which is ultimately is a good thing as it’s effecting change (cricket being a perfect example).

There’s no excusing what happened to Rafiq, I’d say Yorkshire’s conduct and managements reactions, even more so than the crass/unfunny player comments. A majority of the comments were years ago and I’d like to think already improvements have been made in certain people’s behaviour (maybe im just an optimist though). I was reading comments by Archer the other week saying he has never experienced any racism in the English game. Only time he’s seen/heard racist abuse in cricket was in NZ. So hopefully this is also a sign of improvements

I honestly do believe most people just get on with their lives though and racism plays no part in it whatsoever (whether that’s friends, work or the way they treat everyone in general).

Never take the cesspit that is social media as a true reflection on wider society. You only have to look back at the handful of pathetic comments to Saka, rashford and Sancho after the Euros and then the National response (the disgust, the support messages, the spontaneous applause/ovations etc).

rob9872

Fuck this shitty little racist country.

Bollocks! This is the greatest country in the world.

One of the reasons it is the greatest is because of it's diversity and being so cosmopolitan and welcoming to nations from all around the world. Immigration is one of our strengths. Do we have more racists - probably. In part that will be because of said immigration in others it's taught from people who may have felt threatened a generation ago, but the tide is definitely turning and the best way is to continue to evolve and keep educating. Even Scandinavian countries have their pockets of issues and they're usually assumed to be among the most progressive. New Zealand would be low, but they don't let anyone in! You tell me where is better and I'd assume there will be a direct correlation in their demographic.

rob9872

Or whilst i was responding then, what Steve said more eloquently than me I guess! :)

PVA

Its not a racist country. Unfortunately we have a mixture of, for want of a better phrase, generational racists (people who’s attitudes are just stuck in the past) and a noisey, horrible minority which makes it feel like there are more than there are. I also think institutionalised/ingrained racism is being called out more these days which is ultimately is a good thing as it’s effecting change (cricket being a perfect example).

There’s no excusing what happened to Rafiq, I’d say Yorkshire’s conduct and managements reactions, even more so than the crass/unfunny player comments. A majority of the comments were years ago and I’d like to think already improvements have been made in certain people’s behaviour (maybe im just an optimist though). I was reading comments by Archer the other week saying he has never experienced any racism in the English game. Only time he’s seen/heard racist abuse in cricket was in NZ. So hopefully this is also a sign of improvements

I honestly do believe most people just get on with their lives though and racism plays no part in it whatsoever (whether that’s friends, work or the way they treat everyone in general).

Never take the cesspit that is social media as a true reflection on wider society. You only have to look back at the handful of pathetic comments to Saka, rashford and Sancho after the Euros and then the National response (the disgust, the support messages, the spontaneous applause/ovations etc).

To be clear, when I say it's a racist country, I'm not saying everyone is racist. I'm not saying the majority of people are racist.

But racism is clearly very, very prominent in society. And as I said, we literally have a racist prime minister.

When people say 'Americans are fat', or whatever, they aren't saying every single American is fat. In the same way that saying the UK is a racist country does not mean every person is racist.

PVA

Bollocks! This is the greatest country in the world.

😂😂

It's the greatest joke in the world, maybe.

We are a laughing stock. Other countries are literally laughing at us. We're an embarrassment these days.

Anyway, we're veering off topic.

Nick

Administrator
To be clear, when I say it's a racist country, I'm not saying everyone is racist. I'm not saying the majority of people are racist.

But racism is clearly very, very prominent in society. And as I said, we literally have a racist prime minister.

When people say 'Americans are fat', or whatever, they aren't saying every single American is fat. In the same way that saying the UK is a racist country does not mean every person is racist.

Surely using your logic every country is racist?

PVA

Surely using your logic every country is racist?

Well yeah, I'm sure there are racists in every single country.

But right now it feels very prominent in this country, and with the likes of Johnson and Farage racists are given a platform to spout their shit and then the racists feel more confident in displaying their shitty views.

Honestly some of the comments I saw on Facebook yesterday were just disgusting. People openly and blatantly excusing and defending this scandal, insulting Rafiq.

It's just sad that people are so confident to be that open and blatant with their racism.

If you all think that's fine and perfectly normal then good for you, but I don't.

Nick

Administrator

But right now it feels very prominent in this country, and with the likes of Johnson and Farage racists are given a platform to spout their shit and then the racists feel more confident in displaying their shitty views.

Honestly some of the comments I saw on Facebook yesterday were just disgusting. People openly and blatantly excusing and defending this scandal, insulting Rafiq.

It's just sad that people are so confident to be that open and blatant with their racism.

If you all think that's fine and perfectly normal then good for you, but I don't.

Not saying it's right at all, just saying that by using your logic every country in the World is racist.

rob9872

😂😂

It's the greatest joke in the world, maybe.

We are a laughing stock. Other countries are literally laughing at us. We're an embarrassment these days.

Anyway, we're veering off topic.
It's not off topic, it's very much part of it. Who are these countries laughing? And if you have no pride in your own country how do you expect others to? Whilst we're fighting from within and name-calling rather than trying to slowly change things from the better then it will continue to appear that way for you. Look at the positives instead of which there are many - you've chosen to ignore the part I mentioned on being cosmopolitan, but there is nowhere in the world more diverse.

CCFCSteve

Yeah, I understand. A better/fairer comment is probably that there are still far too many racists in this country

ps Most Americans are fat though 😊…a fatist and racist comment which I nearly didn’t post but then googled and it’s actually factual. 73% are classed as overweight or obese !

PVA

Not saying it's right at all, just saying that by using your logic every country in the World is racist.

I'm not too sure what your point is. Yes there are racists in every country. Some have more than others.

PVA

It's not off topic, it's very much part of it. Who are these countries laughing?

Which countries aren't!

There have been all sorts of cartoons and pieces in newspapers across the world mocking the country and our 'leader'.

Otis

Big difference between "we are a racist country" and "we are a country with racists."

We are the second one I would say. But then so too are so many countries, if not all.

It's a minority here, but that obviously can still equate to millions of people. A lot of racists tend to be more vocal, so it does then seem that there are more of them..

Nick

Administrator
I'm not too sure what your point is. Yes there are racists in every country. Some have more than others.

My point is, to simply say "we are a racist country" because a minority are then it means every country pretty much is a racist country.

NorthernWisdom

A better/fairer comment is probably that there are still far too many racists in this country
My concern is they do seem to be emboldened recently. Often in the interests of 'free speech'. There was a time free speech didn't involve being a hateful wanker.

Still, maybe this whole affair will help swing it back to a point where you can point out a racist is a racist, and the comeback isn't that you're PC lefty woke (delete as applicable).

PVA

My concern is they do seem to be emboldened recently. Often in the interests of 'free speach'. There was a time free speach didn't involve being a hateful wanker.

Still, maybe this whole affair will help swing it back to a point where you can point out a racist is a racist, and the comeback isn't that you're PC lefty woke (delete as applicable).

This.

A million times this.

PVA

And I'm not just referring to the general public, or the total number or percentage of racists in the population.

The prime minister has made racist remarks.

The ruling party faces allegations of institutional racism.

As does the main opposition party.

Cases like YCCC, where racism is allegedly institutionalised and ingrained throughout.

People like Farage given constant mainstream platforms to spout his dogwhistle racism.

rob9872

Five posts on this page you've mentioned Boris now. Those misguided comments were 20 years ago and before he was a politician. Of course they were wrong then and wrong now, but he has stood strong on many race issues as mayor, an MP and PM. Local MP Zarah Sultana is seen as a beacon on many race issues recently but not without blame herself from her anti-semitic past posts that are happily written off as being from her student days that she now regrets. She should be allowed to have a past and move forward, but that must apply to both sides of the house and certainly not regurgitated in in every petty squabble on a football forum. Arguably this post doesn't belong here either there's a whole long boring thread for political nonsense elsewhere, so let's stick to Rafiq and leave the pointless rights and wrongs of politicians.

Users who are viewing this thread