Yorkshire Cricket racism scandal (3 Viewers)

CCFCSteve

My concern is they do seem to be emboldened recently. Often in the interests of 'free speech'. There was a time free speech didn't involve being a hateful wanker.

Still, maybe this whole affair will help swing it back to a point where you can point out a racist is a racist, and the comeback isn't that you're PC lefty woke (delete as applicable).

That’s a lot of social media though. They’re emboldened to do it behind a keyboard. I think it’s being called out more anyway though which is bringing it to the surface/wider view. Like the city match the other week (the fat belly or monkey actions) either way it was called out. I know at the football if there was any racist abuse near me, the person would be ejected or knocked out.

It shouldn’t need it but I still can’t believe celebrities, sportsman/women etc dont all come together and say we’ll have a social media blackout for a period (not just a day or two) until we are heard and something’s done. I honestly think if social media addressed the online stuff properly a major part of the current issues would fall away

NorthernWisdom

That’s a lot of social media though.
I dunno, I find it irl as well. It's uncomfortable to say it (and no, I don't think we're a racist country as such) but it is true that we have a Prime Minister who says comments others wouldn't have dreamed of. It comes from the top. Don't want to merge the Brexit thread in here either (God, no!) but some used that as an excuse to piggy back on with distasteful comments, as well.

Britain is a (relatively!) liberal and tolerant country, but we need to keep it that way and improve it further, and keep it away from the creep the other way.

PVA

Five posts on this page you've mentioned Boris now.

Well yeah, because I think having a racist Prime Minister is a pretty big deal and a reflection of the recent emboldenment of racism in this country.

The bloke is an out and out racist. I don't care that the comments were 15 or 20 years ago, he's made enough of them to make his views very clear the only difference is now he can't say those things publicly like he used to given his current position.

rob9872

That’s a lot of social media though. They’re emboldened to do it behind a keyboard. I think it’s being called out more anyway though which is bringing it to the surface/wider view. Like the city match the other week (the fat belly or monkey actions) either way it was called out. I know at the football if there was any racist abuse near me, the person would be ejected or knocked out.

It shouldn’t need it but I still can’t believe celebrities, sportsman/women etc dont all come together and say we’ll have a social media blackout for a period (not just a day or two) until we are heard and something’s done. I honestly think if social media addressed the online stuff properly a major part of the current issues would fall away
Social media could be sorted easily. I had an idea a couple of years back about starting a new platform but don't have the computer literacy to start it. I have no problem with even the most hateful of speech, but be prepared to own it and be called out on it, knowing you can't set up a new account or get banned and just move on. It's there to stand behind forever if you insist on passports and driving licence details to register. One user, one account. It will cut this down in an instant. I'm sure if someone could start a platform like that it would gain traction rapidly and make someone who is more savvy an awful lot of money. Nick? :)

rob9872

Well yeah, because I think having a racist Prime Minister is a pretty big deal and a reflection of the recent emboldenment of racism in this country.

The bloke is an out and out racist. I don't care that the comments were 15 or 20 years ago, he's made enough of them to make his views very clear the only difference is now he can't say those things publicly like he used to given his current position.
Is he? Go on then if you must keep shoehorning them in, please list his racist past. We all know about Watermenlon and postboxes since they're regurgitated in every argument, you suggest he's made lots more - can you share them as I've not heard or read them.

PVA

I about to jump in the car but will happily provide some examples later if you wish.

By the way, defending racist remarks is not a good look.

skybluetony176

Is he? Go on then if you must keep shoehorning them in, please list his racist past. We all know about Watermenlon and postboxes since they're regurgitated in every argument, you suggest he's made lots more - can you share them as I've not heard or read them.
You’ve only got to look at the Sewell report that’s in denial of institutional racism which he used to declare that there was no such thing as institutional racism. 6 months later here we are, he’s in a position where he has to acknowledge institutional racism. Only a racist would deny institutional racism, which is what he did. That on top of a long list of racist remarks that are too frequent to be “accidental”.

(Edit) he also opposed the reforms recommended in the Macpherson report following the murder of Stephen Laurence.

rob9872

I about to jump in the car but will happily provide some examples later if you wish.

By the way, defending racist remarks is not a good look.
Thanks I look forward to them, use that 'car time' to scour the internet and find them. And nobody is defending racist comments, I want to see them before we decide.

rob9872

That on top of a long list of racist remarks that are too frequent to be “accidental”.
If that's true I'll acknowledge them, but let's not post them on here as getting more off tangent. @ me and list them on the political thread. Thx in advance.

PVA

To be honest, I think shite like this is just as bad as somebody at the opposite end of the scale.

What? Are seriously saying that comment is bad as actual racism? I really hope that isn't what you're saying and I've just misunderstood.

skybluetony176

If that's true I'll acknowledge them, but let's not post them on here as getting more off tangent. @ me and list them on the political thread. Thx in advance.
Honestly. If you need a list you’ve either been living in a cave or you’re in denial. The guy is a racist. Simple as.

Reactions: PVA

PVA

Thanks I look forward to them, use that 'car time' to scour the internet and find them. And nobody is defending racist comments, I want to see them before we decide.

I don't need to invent a car journey to make time to find racist comments and actions by Johnson. It really doesn't take very long to find them.

If you genuinely haven't heard them, then fake enough, I think you'll be quite shocked.

Nick

Administrator
What? Are seriously saying that comment is bad as actual racism? I really hope that isn't what you're saying and I've just misunderstood.

I think that type of shit where it's a blanket "everybody is racist" is not much better than "send the buggers back" type nonsense to be honest.

rob9872

Honestly. If you need a list you’ve either been living in a cave or you’re in denial. The guy is a racist. Simple as.
I don't need to invent a car journey to make time to find racist comments and actions by Johnson. It really doesn't take very long to find them.

If you genuinely haven't heard them, then fake enough, I think you'll be quite shocked.
Genuinely guys, please list them.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Bollocks! This is the greatest country in the world.

One of the reasons it is the greatest is because of it's diversity and being so cosmopolitan and welcoming to nations from all around the world. Immigration is one of our strengths. Do we have more racists - probably. In part that will be because of said immigration in others it's taught from people who may have felt threatened a generation ago, but the tide is definitely turning and the best way is to continue to evolve and keep educating. Even Scandinavian countries have their pockets of issues and they're usually assumed to be among the most progressive. New Zealand would be low, but they don't let anyone in! You tell me where is better and I'd assume there will be a direct correlation in their demographic.

I think you've maybe gone all in in defence of the country there. The country isn't the worst in the world by a long stretch but it's by no means the best, either by 'soft' measures or metrics that are listed and ranked.

Compared to many countries we are largely tolerant and stuff like racism, sexism and homophobia is going down. The fact we notice it when it happens doesn't make us a terrible country, just that in many others where these views are far more prevalent it's not seen as a problem.

But in many other areas we still have big problems and some are getting bigger. Disparity between the haves and have nots is growing ever wider and those in charge don't see it as a problem because they buy into the class system that makes them believe the upper and middle classes are superior and more intelligent than the working classes. Corruption and allowing people to use the system to avoid taxes is increasing. Internationally our reputation is sliding fast, where Johnson is seen as a buffoon and the UK's Trump while things like Brexit are highlighting a massive lack of leadership and competence.

skybluetony176

Genuinely guys, please list them.
Bloody hell. He doesn’t feel comfortable in the company of black youths. He thinks black African are too stupid to govern themselves so is in favour of reinstating the commonwealth. These are just the things he says publicly by the way. God knows what he says privately. You can actually go on TV and call him a racist without punishment because of the things he’s publicly said and written, off com will not intervene and rebuke the program maker so clear are the grounds to label him a racist, dozens if not hundreds of high profile commentators, journalists, comedians etc have publicly called him a racist on TV and in print. To my knowledge not one article has had to issue an apology, write a correction. As far as I know there’s no case of Boris taking anyone to court for defamation of character after publicly calling him a racist. On top of that he has a history of publishing anti-Semitic tropes, a history of misogynistic tropes, he’s opposed to making misogyny a hate crime (luckily for his dad, coincidentally I’m sure). Does any of this really need pointing out to you.

Terry Gibson's perm

When he said the floodgates were about to open I bet he didn’t think the first one through would be one of his comments.

stay_up_skyblues

giphy.gif

CCFCSteve

And it continues....

Brooks reprimanded for using the N word in 2012.

Rafiq for making anti Semitic texts/tweet in 2011

This trawling through old texts and tweets from 10+ years ago is crazy. I’m sure most people have text something 10+ years ago they wished they hadn’t !

Sky Blue Pete

Shock horror he’s a hypocrite. Can we move on now and get decent pundits like Vaughan back on the radio regardless of their colour?
He’s not a hypocrite why is it always black and white (pun intended)!!!

He was wrong and has been wronged - how hard is that. That doesn’t mean it’s a free for all it means we should learn and support an punish where appropriate.
There is an angle of if he gave it out he should take it that is legitimate but it doesn’t negate his experiences at all for me

Users who are viewing this thread