And The Cracks are Beggining to Show (3 Viewers)

Perryccfc

I'm amazed Lameiras was left twiddling his thumbs on the bench after last weekend. Every time I watch him I think he plays well. Disappointed with the result, Oldham deserved the equaliser although it came in the harshest way. But it was coming.

Concerning performance but hopefully we're just in a blip.

Otis

I'm amazed Lameiras was left twiddling his thumbs on the bench after last weekend. Every time I watch him I think he plays well. Disappointed with the result, Oldham deserved the equaliser although it came in the harshest way. But it was coming.

Be a lot more worried if we had put that performance in with Turner, Fleck and Ricketts in the side.

As 'i said before, losing Turner today made a masisve difference.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I want to see Lameiras and Maddison linking up again

Chipfat

Teams are sitting deep no doubt about this and it does mean we will keep possession but go sideways a lot. We need to get the ball in between the mid and opposition def quicker. By playing sideways teams are just sliding across to cover and then will squeeze the gaps when we want the ball to go forward. This is an important part of the season and we need to work out how to get back to winning ways. It maybe the sticky patch all teams go through and its better now than towards the end of a season, but we need to work it out quickly and turn this 4 games win less streak into a positive outcome.

Maybe Jan is the right time to get the balance of the squad correct, i would go for a senior GK on loan, 1 Def on loan and try to keep Armstrong and Murphy, TM then decides about Kent, Bigi and Cole. If he can sign 1 of them on a perm basis say Bigi, i would let Cole go back to Villa and Keep Kent in the squad and then keep 5 loans in the match day squad. TM then needs to go back to picking 5 from Lamires, Kent, OB, Vince, Fleck, Maddison and Bigi to start in midfield. He needs to go back to what was getting results at the start of the season even the same starting line up in that Midfield area. Still need to keep positive only 1 lose in 13 i think even though today felt like a lose we also still have Ricketts, Fleck, Murphy and the swede to bring back in. PUSB

Gazolba

yes we are dropping points but still in the top 6 .

People were saying "we are still in the top two", now I see it's "we are still in the top six". Next will it be "we are still in the top half"?

Perryccfc

I want to see Lameiras and Maddison linking up again

Armstrong is screaming out for these two together. He feeds off through balls to run on to. Maddison nearly put him in towards the second half. Apart from the first minute chance, that was about as dangerous he looked. He's a Michael Owen type, he needs the intelligence of others to put him in to use his pace. His assets are pace and finishing, and without the right players around him, were utilising neither imo.

ccfcway

q) would you take 3rd and been unbeaten at home by xmas ?

I would have snapped anyones hands off.

Last edited:

dongonzalos

Cole back Turner or his equivalent and a goalkeeper for the season.
Nothing else needed.
All out attack against the defence minded teams we will face this season. We need to convince the blackpool, Sheff utd and today are matches of the past

st john

As I said on the other thread, Oldham in the second half suddenly started pressuring us much higher up the pitch and kept closing us down. This then meant we couldn't play the ball out from the back and RCC had to resort to kicking it long.

We did that and the ball kept coming back to us, so TM brought Fortune on to try and give us more physical presence and hold the ball up for us. Yes, he went on to the right for much of the time (but Phillips was shaky) , but he came into a central position to try and win the ball when RCC was kicking it long.

It made sense.
Agree with this, I can't remember us winning any ball from RCC's kicking. Our lack of height in the team was obvious today

NorthernWisdom

q) would you take 3rd and been unbeaten at home by xmas ?

I would have snapped anyones hands off.

Yeah I would, and still will... and any slipups are the inevitability of what we'll get with youngsters/a small squad.

That being said, I'm not sure these *are* any more cracks then we've seen all through the season. We're (un)lucky that there's no real stand-out sides this season, so our dodgy results have been followed by half-decent ones, and that keeps us up there. Not sure we've been in top playing form consistently since the very start of the season, however.

ccfcway

in my life we have never been in this position (a proper chance of a top 6 finish). I'm enjoying it, and cant wait till boxing day. PUSB

The Reverend Skyblue

How many of us said at the start of the season the first position we would fill is an experienced keeper, most of us if I could be bothered to look up.
it was blindingly obvious we needed a decent keeper and if TM don't fill that position in Jan we can say goodbye to the Autos and it will be a push for the playoffs too.
TM has my full backing but I agree with Grendel he does make one or two odd decisions, concerning Fortune and using the budget for Tudgay and not playing him and the thing with experiment with Cole seems to have failed.
onwards and upwards but it's the keeper position that if not remidied will cost us.. IMO

Otis

The cracks ARE beginning to show.

A few weeks back TM could do no wrong and now all of a sudden, according to fans he's apparently making lots of 'mistakes.'

Grendel

The cracks ARE beginning to show.

A few weeks back TM could do no wrong and now all of a sudden, according to fans he's apparently making lots of 'mistakes.'

To say turner being injured made a difference offensively is ludicrous.

Against Sheffield we forced the keeper to make two saves. Today I remember one.

How you attribute that to turner is beyond me.

Sky Blue Pete

If Murphy is fit to play he has to be in the squad

Would have brought lameiras on for Cole at half time

Bigi ran out of energy last 15

Think arma was sulking after not passing to job

Thought fortune did well up front but playing for the corner when presented with a chance to shoot was a strange move

Otis

To say turner being injured made a difference offensively is ludicrous.

Against Sheffield we forced the keeper to make two saves. Today I remember one.

How you attribute that to turner is beyond me.

Please tell me where I said Turner being injured made a difference offensively? :thinking about:

If you care to watch the tape of the game back you will see the minute Turner went off Oldham became a lot more attacking in their approach. It happened immediately the moment Turner went off.

Grendel

Please tell me where I said Turner being injured made a difference offensively? :thinking about:

If you care to watch the tape of the game back you will see the minute Turner went off Oldham became a lot more attacking in their approach. It happened immediately the moment Turner went off.

No it didn't. Oldham virtually draw every away game. They changed after we scored. Also the centre backs were fine post turner. The full backs and rapidly tiring midfield were the issue.

Otis

No it didn't. Oldham virtually draw every away game. They changed after we scored. Also the centre backs were fine post turner. The full backs and rapidly tiring midfield were the issue.

If you care to check the video back you will see you are wrong.

We were at 6's and 7's the moment Turner went off and Oldham were suddenly playing much higher up the field and in our half.

CWR confirmed this in the commentary too (Eakin and Jorgensen). No doubt you'll say they don't know what they're talking about either. :whistle:

Anyway, no where have I said that Turner going off changed things offensively. It changed because we had to re-jig and Haynes weakened us down the left. Second half Oldahm suddenly started to press us a lot more too.

Grendel

If you care to check the video back you will see you are wrong.

We were at 6's and 7's the moment Turner went off and Oldham were suddenly playing much higher up the field and in our half.

CWR confirmed this in the commentary too (Eakin and Jorgensen). No doubt you'll say they don't know what they're talking about either. :whistle:

Anyway, no where have I said that Turner going off changed things offensively. It changed because we had to re-jig and Haynes weakened us down the left. Second half Oldahm suddenly started to press us a lot more too.

Oldham changed formation immediately after we scored.

If we need Ben Turner to beat Oldham them we are effectively saying we are incapable of promotion.

Johnnythespider

We had no more defensive cover on the bench Nick. Only Kelly-Evans, who you would have to assume is not ready for first team football.
Kelly- Evans isn't even ready for long trousers, he's about 3" 6 tall. I know we have a lot of options in the squad but I think Mowbray needs to settle on his best 11 and stick to it as much as possible, he is in danger of becoming our very own tinkerman.

shmmeee

Kelly- Evans isn't even ready for long trousers, he's about 3" 6 tall. I know we have a lot of options in the squad but I think Mowbray needs to settle on his best 11 and stick to it as much as possible, he is in danger of becoming our very own tinkerman.

To be fair, most changes are forced or because he needs to manage young players.

Otis

Oldham changed formation immediately after we scored.

If we need Ben Turner to beat Oldham them we are effectively saying we are incapable of promotion.

But I'm not saying that. I am saying the game changed when he went off. Can be just as easily be argued that's because we had to re-jig things. Had we had another centre back on the bench it might not have made the difference. Bringing Haynes on weakened the team.

I am merely syaing the game changed once Turner went off. That doesn't mean we needed Ben Turner to beat Oldham. Course it doesn't.

I know you're an argumentative little bugger, so we'll leave it at that. You're reading too much into things and getting 5 out of 2 plus 2 I think. ;)

D

Deleted member 4439

Apols, no doubt this has been covered elsewhere, but why no Fleck (even on the bench) today?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

There is more and more fannying around with the ball at the back - back and forth across the pitch and back to the keeper. They came unstuck against Doncaster and its becoming more and more a part of our style. I know the keeper likes to role the ball rather than punt it as Armstrong will never win the ball in the air and it will just come back, but earlier in the season one of our strengths was to hit teams on the break using Murphy, Fleck , Obrien and Armstrong's pace. Now teams sit back and get bodies behind the ball as we bugger about spraying the ball across our own 18 yard area. Armstrong is becoming less and less effective as there is less pressing of the back line forward - we are becoming more stretched and he more isolated.
Some of this sideways stuff is beginning to remind me just a little of the Pressley style and that got us nowhere.

D

Deleted member 4439

There is more and more fannying around with the ball at the back - back and forth across the pitch and back to the keeper. They came unstuck against Doncaster and its becoming more and more a part of our style. I know the keeper likes to role the ball rather than punt it as Armstrong will never win the ball in the air and it will just come back, but earlier in the season one of our strengths was to hit teams on the break using Murphy, Fleck , Obrien and Armstrong's pace. Now teams sit back and get bodies behind the ball as we bugger about spraying the ball across our own 18 yard area. Armstrong is becoming less and less effective as there is less pressing of the back line forward - we are becoming more stretched and he more isolated.
Some of this sideways stuff is beginning to remind me just a little of the Pressley style and that got us nowhere.

Whilst it did get particularly frustrating today, it's clear that the intention is to draw out the opposing team, in order to thread the ball through the midfield, to Armstrong. There has to come a point, though when you have to mix it up by sometimes pushing the line up a little. It's why we need Murphy, wide (when he's on top of his game), as another option. Also, if we can get Ruben and Madders working again, we might find more midfield end purpose.

covcity4life

Still not rdy to panic too much. Win next 2 and once again everything is rosy

But we won't get promoted with Haynes and Phillips as starters so more resources may be required yet

dongonzalos

I always judge the performance by looking at it as an independent and if I would know who was second from top and who second from bottom.

Today I did not. It was an even game and actually when Oldham were forced to move forward they looked more capable than us.

### An even game CCFC 60% pos Oldham 40% = not even but I will give you Oldham happy with a draw ####

We are starting to have some real problems.

Some are injury related and not of our own making. Turner is a blow

### no shit Sherlock lose Reda a pure Champion at this level. Gain Turner exactky the same lose both and gain a left back from the non league at centre half funnily enough we are not as strong ###

and although stokes seems to be a real find the reserve cover looks anything but league one champions material.

###(Yep making the income exactky match the outcome does that) ###}

Phillips was culpable for the attack that led to the corner and also I suspect for the goal. Haynes is just an accident waiting to happen.

#### you have had a hard on for Haynes since day dot he is an exciting attacking full back like Cyrus, quality player will succeed ####

Fleck was a loss as well.
### Jesus that took 2 years for you to recognise someone who can tackle, trap a ball instantly. Turn on a sic pence and ping a ball 40 yard pass to feet is of value !!!! ######

However, Bigiamara did ok but he lacks stamina and physicality and the long ball ability fleck has. Also he was washed up by the end and cannot last 90 minutes.
####As above Also you used to abuse big I ge just needs a proper fiull season ####

The cole experiment is proving detrimental. Today Mowbray tinkered with formation and got it wrong. Cole has to go back. # agree##

Personally I don't get playing one up front against an ultra defensive side. Makes no real sense to me.
#agree destroy them with all out attack ##

Murphy is essential to the team - far more so than Armstrong who often goes missing. Without Murphy the penetration is gone.
# murphy verses Armstrong tough choice...........#

Mowbray has in the last had a reputation for being like Christmas decorations. Today he really did get it wrong. His obsession with fortune is odd and his decision to spend budget on tudgay, who he then never plays, ahead of an experienced keeper may be a major error.
#bollox got to agree with every word spoken in this paragraph#

He has the tools for the top 6.

I trust him to deliver but he needs to deliver

# and this but I would say 2nd or 3rd of he is suitably ie not a top ten budget a top two one #

Macca

The last 4 results are not promotion form, people should be able to enquire as to what's going on. I'm sure the management team are concerned

stupot07

60% possession does not mean you've dominated the game. Oldham let us have the ball deep in our own half. 60% and we created very little decent chances. That's not dominating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

dongonzalos

60% possession does not mean you've dominated the game. Oldham let us have the ball deep in our own half. 60% and we created very little decent chances. That's not dominating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

More to the point it doesn't mean the game was equal we had more possession more shots on target and more shots off target .........
The game wasn't a one all draw

Last edited:

SlowerThanPlatt

We were the better team 1st half. They were the better team in the 2nd half.

We should have been 2/3-0 up within the first 20 minutes tbh with a bit better decision making.

stupot07

More to the point it doesn't mean the game was equal we had more possession more shots on target and more shots off target .........
The game wasn't a one all draw

It was a one all draw. That was the final score. Stats can lie. How many saves did their keeper make? We did not deserve to win, we didn't do enough, we didn't create enough and we didn't force make their keeper work hard enough. The onus is on us as the home and auto promotion chasing side to force. It wasn't a smash and grab performance by Oldham.

4 games without a win, just 3 points from our last 4 games, the next game is now a must win, and as Macca says a team who's aspiring for auto promotion should be asking questions about a slide in form and performance. Even Mowbray said he is concerned.

Last edited:

SkyBlueHomer

Hard facts, we have thrown away 5 points out of last 9.

Why? Personally I think this is down to lack of experience, not due to any 'cracks' or whatever. We have the likes of Armstrong, Murphy & Kent on loan because their clubs want them to gain experience and develope. See how they deal with situations like this. RCC hasn't had this level of 1st team football and will learn.

January, off the pitch, will be more important for us and February 1st will see how serious this promotion challenge is.

letsallsingtogether

Still not rdy to panic too much. Win next 2 and once again everything is rosy

But we won't get promoted with Haynes and Phillips as starters so more resources may be required yet
So are you blaming them for the last 2 games?
Bigi was probebly our mom today after a poor game last week, he seemed to do all the right things today espesially in the first half.

Users who are viewing this thread