Match Thread Bristol R v Coventry Match Thread - Monday 26th Dec (1 Viewer)

Marty

Turnbull was fine today. He got dragged over for the first which should have been a freekick to us. Page got done for the 2nd and 3rd goals. Didn't see the 4th.

torchomatic

Let's not get too downhearted. I know it all looks crap and we do look a very poor team, but 3 or 4 astute signings could make all the difference.

Let's hope Slade has some quality lined up. He recruits really well I think we'll be okay. If he fails to improve the squad then of course we are almost nailed on certainties to go down.

Have my fingers heavily crossed.

Agree with you there, Otis. Let's see what RS does in January and see where we at the end of next month.

Paxman II

You saying this is a worthy squad then? You're having a laugh they are dreadful... our only shining light is a kid fresh from the academy and we are pinning our hopes to him... totally unfair
People have to keep a lid on it a bit. This squad stated poorly but under MV won 5 in a row before falling again. There is more to that than simply saying they are all crap? As Otis says a handful of shrewd signings and the return of Stokes, Stevenson etc plus Slade getting his feet under door may make all the difference. We are a win from safety. Everyone in the bottom 8 is crap tbf.
It's not about SISU right now, its about Slade, some transfer dealings in January and his ability to inject confidence and a system to win football matches.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Let's not get too downhearted. I know it all looks crap and we do look a very poor team, but 3 or 4 astute signings could make all the difference.
QUOTE]
I didn't think Astute still played these days! ;)

SkyBlue_Bear83

A couple of encouraging things but now he knows size of task

January going to be crucial to survival

We need to value the basics of football

Lack of game management at 2-1, instead of being solid and getting a foothold the game started getting stretched and end to end.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Slade;

Look, one or two encouraging bits

Now know the size of the task

January crucial / pivotal whether we get to safety or not

Terms of attitude they were trying to win

Could have possibly scored more ourselves

Have to value the basics better than we do

Clearances, marking, closing down, passing. Basics

Have to make sure we do those well

Can't go on conceding goals like we did today

Stretched defensively over the whole game

Couldn't understand how we got ourselves back in it at 2-1 but in terms of games management that's when we got ourselves stretched

Needed to get compact. Get back in the game. Pop. We didn't.

Home team get third and makes it difficult

Subtle changes to try and be narrow on one side

Thought Reid offered us a lot

Stepped up and put good balls in

Needed to show more belief in the box

Didn't deserve anything all game

Our goal was first (maybe second) from a corner

With the group we have, January will need to look at our out of possession play (nooooo Presley used to say that!)

Not just the centre halves or centre midfields we have to be more solid

Already making breakfast enquiries. No doubt that we need help

Some will play a part in us going forward

Help. From Mark Venus and scouts to recruit and make us safe

torchomatic

chiefdave

Well at least it's only taken him one game to work it out and he's not saying everything is fine, just need abbot of luck or similar.

Feel our season will be decided on what he can do in the January window.

stupot07

Well at least it's only taken him one game to work it out and he's not saying everything is fine, just need abbot of luck or similar.

Feel our season will be decided on what he can do in the January window.
Yeah, January is huge. I'd send all the loanees back and try and replacement them with better quality and or more experience. E.g. I like sterry but of you could bring in a couple of decent centre backs Willis can play right back.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Paxman II

Slade said nothing that inspires me to get off my arse and go to Peterborough. This team has relegation written all over it.
Nothing 'inspirational' but what he said was on the money. He recognises exactly what and where the issues are and clearly intends on some hard work to solve the immediate problems, gain some focus and start producing on the pitch what we are failing to do at present.
Unlike TM he seems to have a plan wouldn't you say? I wish him all the luck in the world. Given his CV I believe we will stay up and whatever he achieves in bringing that change of fortune will determine where it goes from there come May.
Football is a funny old game so you can't just suppose the next two games look dire for us. We have seen how that can so misrepresented so often is the case.

Terry Gibson's perm

Nothing 'inspirational' but what he said was on the money. He recognises exactly what and where the issues are and clearly intends on some hard work to solve the immediate problems, gain some focus and start producing on the pitch what we are failing to do at present.
Unlike TM he seems to have a plan wouldn't you say? I wish him all the luck in the world. Given his CV I believe we will stay up and whatever he achieves in bringing that change of fortune will determine where it goes from there come May.
Football is a funny old game so you can't just suppose the next two games look dire for us. We have seen how that can so misrepresented so often is the case.

He will need all the luck in the world.

This side needs a manager that kicks arses he didn't sound like that man.

We will be down with 5 games to go

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Fortunately I do. :)

I pity the kids and teenagers that go up there now. They haven't even got the memories of good times.

Agree it's when you see the JSB party pics from the other day and the kids with their 'heroes' , I remember JSB visit to Ryton 98 ish I was 8/9 years old and walking into to the room to get autographs and Dublin, Huckerby & Whelan were sat there!! I was in absolute heaven!!

Grendel

It's almost mission impossible to be honest.
Mowbray and Venus have bought entirely the wrong players for this division. Trying to replicate Premiership and championship styles with inferior players has proved a recipe for disaster.
We have players on long contracts that no one would want and recruitment in January is massively difficult
Sterry I would keep as to me he is a good player. Every other loan has to go as we need new signings and that gives many options.
Ideally I'd target the bif earners and get them out the squad. Reid though is on a contract so can't see going anywhere. Bigiamarana i assume is another and I'd tell him now he has no future so get a club - I'd guess his wages are above average in the league. Can tudgay be given some two months wages upfront if he leaves on Jan 1? Could be possible. Rose I think has a contract up at the end of season so I'd talk to him and his agent. Haynes is a minor earner but would anyone take him on loan and pay wages?
We need to get rid of a lot of players and get a lot in.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Yeah, January is huge. I'd send all the loanees back and try and replacement them with better quality and or more experience. E.g. I like sterry but of you could bring in a couple of decent centre backs Willis can play right back.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Send agyei, wright and mcbean back and Mcann leaving anyway. Bring in two centre halves and shift Willis to right back, hopefully stokes will be back soon also.

So potentially have Willis and stokes as full backs with two new centre halves which if the two centre halves are competent would be a pretty solid defence to build on if they are coached right.

I wouldn't be unhappy to have page and sterry till the end of the season, decent cover to the two full backs I named above and also a different kind of full back if we need to go a different approach (also the thought of Kelly Evans and Haynes scare the shit out of me)

We also need at least one ball winner in the midfield, someone who will run for days put in hard tackles and pick up second balls.

D

Deleted member 2477

Send agyei, wright and mcbean back and Mcann leaving anyway. Bring in two centre halves and shift Willis to right back, hopefully stokes will be back soon also.

So potentially have Willis and stokes as full backs with two new centre halves which if the two centre halves are competent would be a pretty solid defence to build on if they are coached right.

I wouldn't be unhappy to have page and sterry till the end of the season, decent cover to the two full backs I named above and also a different kind of full back if we need to go a different approach (also the thought of Kelly Evans and Haynes scare the shit out of me)

We also need at least one ball winner in the midfield, someone who will run for days put in hard tackles and pick up second balls.
And what do we do when willis, stevenson and stokes are sold in january to fund the sisu new years party

Users who are viewing this thread