The Ashes (1 Viewer)

Otis

Thought we might have bowled first. Overcast and if there's going to be any movement it will probably be early on.

Conditions set to improve later, but Clarke too said he would bat first as well.

We desperately need a good start.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Thought we might have bowled first. Overcast and if there's going to be any movement it will probably be early on.

Conditions set to improve later, but Clarke too said he would bat first as well.

We desperately need a good start.

100%. You can't win a test in the first session but you can certainly go along way to losing one if your 75-5 at lunch!

Greggs

I wonder how many Welsh people will be cheering on the Aussies? I know it's the England and Wales Cricket board, but that shitty little stadium in Cardiff isn't upto much!

ccfctommy

Agree with Otis. Would have had a bowl. Hopefully Cook will have a good knock today.

Excited! Who cares if it has been played too often?

Grendel

No captain would put the opposition in.

Otis

I wonder how many Welsh people will be cheering on the Aussies? I know it's the England and Wales Cricket board, but that shitty little stadium in Cardiff isn't upto much!

Was going to post exactly the same thing. Be a rarity for a Welshman or woman to cheer for England at anything.

Still seems very odd to me to play England home games in a different country.

Greggs

Was going to post exactly the same thing. Be a rarity for a Welshman or woman to cheer for England at anything.

Still seems very odd to me to play England home games in a different country.

Yep agreed, especially the first test! I'm guessing the capacity is about 15 thousand....Hardly as intimidating as the MCG or the WAKA

Grendel

Yeah I was going to mention the infamous Hussain decision.

The selection is odd with Ali at number 8 really. A part type spinner and frontline batsman at 8. Don't get it.

Pitch looks soft and irregular so will be an interesting session.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

That's the one for the session hopefully.

Hazlewood will be top series wicket taker IMO.

All the Johnson & Starc hype this lads the new McGrath

Greggs

The selection is odd with Ali at number 8 really. A part type spinner and frontline batsman at 8. Don't get it.

Yeah, Ali has scored runs higher up the order but seems a little out of position at 8. Should have played Rashid in the Windies, Hales needs to open too!

kg82

They've been playing him there for a while. To be fair, the batting line-up isn't too bad and Moeen can whack it round if he wants... I'm guessing that's the thinking behind it, for at the end of an innings. I'm a little surprised Rashid wasn't given the nod though.

stupot07

They've been playing him there for a while. To be fair, the batting line-up isn't too bad and Moeen can whack it round if he wants... I'm guessing that's the thinking behind it, for at the end of an innings. I'm a little surprised Rashid wasn't given the nod though.

Yeah, the batting line up isn't too bad, it's going to be taking 20 wickets a match which will be the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

kg82

Yeah, the batting line up isn't too bad, it's going to be taking 20 wickets a match which will be the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Saying that... Bloody England!

Grendel

Saying that... Bloody England!

Bell is right out of form and he needs to be in form as is a pivotal middle order player.

Grendel

Even though as Botham has just said, there's swing there for both bowlers and we're 43-3?

Never. Clarke would have batted. Problem is we have an opener whose never really played test cricket and played a poor shot. Cooks dismissal certainly wasn't to do with swing bowling and bell is in a bad place.

Otis

Never. Clarke would have batted. Problem is we have an opener whose never really played test cricket and played a poor shot. Cooks dismissal certainly wasn't to do with swing bowling and bell is in a bad place.

Never?

I wish I was such an expert as you.

Grendel

Never?

I wish I was such an expert as you.

Look how many times it happens - it's very rare and for very good reasons.

Years ago with uncovered pitches maybe. Not now though against top quality opposition.

England are just poor and vulnerable.

Otis

Look how many times it happens - it's very rare and for very good reasons.

Years ago with uncovered pitches maybe. Not now though against top quality opposition.

England are just poor and vulnerable.

Yes I agree.

These conditions at the moment though are more conducive for bowling. There's definitely a bit in the pitch here at the moment.

1 more down before we reach a 100 and it's looking unlikely we'll get past 250. Really needs a top class innings from someone. Hopefully Root will make them pay for his earlier let off.

kg82

Lunch has come at the wrong time. Ballance was just getting into it and Johnson was getting smashed around a bit in his last 2-3 overs. Watch a couple wickets fall quickly after lunch now!

Otis

Thank god for Joe Root, we're increasingly a one man team as far as batting goes.

I do like the look of Buttler too, mind.

He needs to come of age consistently in test match cricket though, having proved himself in one day matches.

His batting average in test matches is still very good and at times he looks pure class. I think he is capable of being a regular top scorer in test match cricket.

kg82

I can see Taylor or Bairstow coming in for Bell if he fails again.

Thing is, you could move Root up 4, put Moeen in at 5 and bring Rashid in - depending on the pitch. We've got options. But I definitely agree about Bell. Shame, he's a belting player when he's in form.

eastwoodsdustman

Cook played his way through his bad spell tough didn't he. Sometimes it's the best way. Bit of luck, one good score and you're flying again.

Cooks bad spell was only slightly worse than other players usual spell. It was made to look worse by the media. Bell has been playing very badly for a while now at test level. I really hope he come good but the Aussies will target him as the weak link along with Lyth.

lifeskyblue

Dipping on and off TMS at work (shhhhh)...everything crossed that this continues. Better than I had hoped for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread