The Ashes (2 Viewers)

kg82

You can tell Root's getting close to a ton... He's stopped scoring! Although both look pretty comfortable at the moment.

Otis

Yep.

One wicket though and it could all go very pear shaped. England wickets quite often come in little clusters and they can easily lose 3 wickets for 1 or 2 runs.

Need these two to get close to 250 or over and then there will be scope for everyone else coming in to play with a bit more freedom, rather than be propping the score up.

From here now, you would be looking to post close to 400, if not more, but as we know, one quick wicket and it could quickly go down the pan.

kg82

Yep.

One wicket though and it could all go very pear shaped. England wickets quite often come in little clusters and they can easily lose 3 wickets for 1 or 2 runs.

Need these two to get close to 250 or over and then there will be scope for everyone else coming in to play with a bit more freedom, rather than be propping the score up.

From here now, you would be looking to post close to 400, if not more, but as we know, one quick wicket and it could quickly go down the pan.

Completely agreed. I'd rather a bit of caution here and there and keep these 2 in to both get 100's.

Terry Gibson's perm

Joe Root should in time become England's highest run scorer in pretty much all forms of cricket if they don't weigh him down with the captaincy, Ian Bell will get nothing out of coming back to The Bears as when he did earlier in the year he scored plenty.

Macca

Hoping this is the series that someone drops the nut on one of those scowling weasely cunts

stupot07

Great day for England, well played Root!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Macca

Aren't they ginger ones from Harry potter

Thinking more about when Stokes was out and the bowler did the finger on lips gesture. I'm thinking "how old are you bellend? 10?"
Quite fancy Stokes to twat one of them by end of the series

Otis

Great day for England, well played Root!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Not so sure. they did really well in the end, but if quick wickets come tomorrow they will be well short of 400. Really think we need to reach 400, or as close as possible to it, to make a real game of this.

Still balanced precariously, but we finished on a high for sure.

Otis

Thinking more about when Stokes was out and the bowler did the finger on lips gesture. I'm thinking "how old are you bellend? 10?"
Quite fancy Stokes to twat one of them by end of the series

It is pathetically childish, it has to be said.

Nice sight to see for all the young kids wanting to follow cricket and looking up to their idols, when they behave with petulance like this. Still much better than football though for sure.

Macca

It is pathetically childish, it has to be said.

Nice sight to see for all the young kids wanting to follow cricket and looking up to their idols, when they behave with petulance like this. Still much better than football though for sure.

Yes for now. Thing is the NZ team played a great competitive tour and played like gentlemen, cricket doesn't need it. Bit of clever verbal banter is great but that was crass. Ok to be honest I wouldn't really want Stokes to stoop to their level but I'd like to have seen him politely enquire what the little scrotes problem was. He's a big lad the twat wouldn't have liked it

Macca

Really difficult to judge whether it was a good day. Broad is shot as a batsmen and we could see the remaining wickets fall cheaply. Butler was a big and stupid dismissal

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Would have taken that at 43-3 but the pessimist in me says England will get 400 & Aus 650 by mid afternoon on day 4.....

No pace in the pitch & a few shooters sort of pitch I think Broad may get something out of. Hopefully cloud cover will hang around for the first 10-15 over of the Aus Inns I would imagine before lunch tomorrow to see if we can get some early breakthroughs.

lifeskyblue

Agree with this. Much better than it looked like early on but not as good as it could have been at the end. If we can take a couple of early Aussie wickets then the game could be open. But at the minute I think a drawer m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otis

Agree with this. Much better than it looked like early on but not as good as it could have been at the end. If we can take a couple of early Aussie wickets then the game could be open. But at the minute I think a drawer m

Is that where they keep the urn?

Ian1779

I bet on the draw before the game. I quite fancy this more so after Day 1.

lifeskyblue

Is that where they keep the urn?

That will teach me to tap fast and not edit. A shame we didn't hold on to another wicket. If they can get another 50+ runs it should provide for an interesting game especially if we take a couple of early wickets.
The danger will be if the Aussies don't lose early wickets and build a total of 600+.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Solid first hour.

Little bit of controversy with Voges claiming that catch but rightly overturned then Ali nicked one off Starc but only the bowler half appealed hotspot proving it was out.

Pitch still lifeless proving the new ball spell is massive if England are going to get anything out the game otherwise can see Aus batting England out the game.

Ali with the ball could be pivotal on this wicket.

skybluelee

Solid first hour.

Little bit of controversy with Voges claiming that catch but rightly overturned then Ali nicked one off Starc but only the bowler half appealed hotspot proving it was out.

Pitch still lifeless proving the new ball spell is massive if England are going to get anything out the game otherwise can see Aus batting England out the game.

Ali with the ball could be pivotal on this wicket.

Yep, Moeen should have a lot of rough to work with when Australia bat last thanks to their left-armers.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Yep, Moeen should have a lot of rough to work with when Australia bat last thanks to their left-armers.

Yep, need a couple here before lunch you feel!

Broad I would back more to get wickets than Jimmy here, few fuller & a few shooting low which Broad often seems to get with his bowling on wickets like this.

lifeskyblue

This is beginning to look a bit worrying. Aussies increasingly at ease. 40 overs or so left today....probably get to around 300 or a bit more by stumps. I'm already beginning to practice a rain dance

Otis

This is beginning to look a bit worrying. Aussies increasingly at ease. 40 overs or so left today....probably get to around 300 or a bit more by stumps. I'm already beginning to practice a rain dance

I think Australia will better our score by at least 50 runs.

If that is the case we really need to bat exceptionally well in our second innings.

Grendel

Well I've taken the last two days off work to watch the start

This was the best day of the two as I am on my own so watched a of it in the pub.

A definite England day. The fact the Aussies dragged Lyon in at the end shows they are nervous at losing more front line batsmen.

Very unlikely to see a England defeat from here. New ball due soon which will determine a win or draw situation pretty quickly.

Brilliant day for Ali. Should not be at number 8 and the selectors have a decision to make. The opening bat is a problem and if he's prepared to do that he should. If not Bell needs an upturn in form rapidly. He's a wicket taking bowler and having him up the order would allow an alternate bowler (probably Rashid) as well.

We look in a lot better shape than I expected.

Otis

Yeah, we do. We continue to look solid, as we did against NZ.

Seem to have a feeling of much more depth about us.

lifeskyblue

Well a satisfying day. England looking good. I thought we might wilt under pressure but we stayed strong and started to get at them. 1st session tomorrow v important. If we can take a couple wickets then we will be on top

Otis

Well a satisfying day. England looking good. I thought we might wilt under pressure but we stayed strong and started to get at them. 1st session tomorrow v important. If we can take a couple wickets then we will be on top

I think that 5th wicket was so important. Now we must fancy our chances of getting Nathan Lyon out early and they would be 6 down and still well short of our 1st innings score.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

5th wicket swung the game towards England not by a massive amount but need to get them at least 8 down by lunch Aussies can bat to 11 so this innings is far from done plus Haddin next is a bit of a nemesis.

Hopefully take a 50 run lead into the 2nd inns which hopefully should be starting not long after lunch tomorrow fingers crossed.

Otis

5th wicket swung the game towards England not by a massive amount but need to get them at least 8 down by lunch Aussies can bat to 11 so this innings is far from done plus Haddin next is a bit of a nemesis.

Hopefully take a 50 run lead into the 2nd inns which hopefully should be starting not long after lunch tomorrow fingers crossed.
Agree. Slightly in England's favour, but only by a whisker and the first hour today I feel is going to be critical.

If Australia survive that first hour without any loss of wickets, I reckon that they will indeed surpass our total. 150 for 5 wickets? Eminently doable for this side of theirs who can bat down quite some way down the order.

First hour will probably be key and we need to take out at least Lyon so we can crank up the pressure on them.

Last edited:

lifeskyblue

Unfortunately I'm in meetings most of the day. Just know I will be taking more comfort breaks than necessary. Agree that first hour important...2 wickets and Aussies under real pressure. No wickets and the tide turns their way

Users who are viewing this thread