Wigan Athletic (Home) Match Thread (2 Viewers)

shmmeee

Can those of us that weren't panicking look smug yet?

shmmeee

It still holds that it'd be unfair on an 18yo to build him up too much and expect that every week.

Just not panicking about this game, as I said before I don't think anyone would be happy with two 18yos all season. But some of the posts on here this week...yeesh

Astute

It still holds that it'd be unfair on an 18yo to build him up too much and expect that every week.

It isn't the expecting it every week. It was the writing off of him before he played when there was so much good said about him.

stupot07

Well that was a surprise and great fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

Grendel

Was a great call. Shows that some managers can see a game the same way fans see them!

Can't imagine Pressley, or even managers before him, Robins aside, would have spotted that and actually done something about it

Willis really wasn't that bad. Wigan seemed to change the formation in the second half. Also the two central midfielders were far far better in the second half.

Possession stats must have been hugely in our favour second half

There will be a lot of excitement after this but the squad is wafer thin and already you worry with JOB injured who could step in.

They played intelligently though and given the small forward line played to its strengths.

Great atmosphere as well.

BackRoomRummermill

All the doubters you know who you are .... Go and support someone else.

congrats to the team and glad to see that the guys who bought tickets and went were rewarded , good on yer !

NorthernWisdom

Just not panicking about this game, as I said before I don't think anyone would be happy with two 18yos all season. But some of the posts on here this week...yeesh

Always said, first game of the season doesn't show much in terms of the result.

The VERY BIG POSITIVE is we played positively however. Keep that up and I'll be happy, even if we lose to Rochdale and Millwall.

Astute

Well that was a surprise and great fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Just my bloody luck. Nearly 2 months off work and I wreck my left leg as the football starts so I can't get there. But I don't care as much after a winning start although I would have loved to have been with you all.

Really looking forward to the season ahead of us now.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Willis really wasn't that bad. Wigan seemed to change the formation in the second half. Also the two central midfielders were far far better in the second half.

Possession stats must have been hugely in our favour second half

There will be a lot of excitement after this but the squad is wafer thin and already you worry with JOB injured who could step in.

They played intelligently though and given the small forward line played to its strengths.

Great atmosphere as well.

Not saying he was terrible, but he was clearly our weak link and it needed changing. Mowbray changed it and it worked IMO.

Astute

I don't think anyone has written him off, just decided to wait and see what we actually get rather than slagging him off if he turns out not to be Messi2.

If only everyone just saw it the way you do.

But I don't care. Great start and in the top 6 already :claping hands:

Last edited:

Grendel

Just my bloody luck. Nearly 2 months off work and I wreck my left leg as the football starts so I can't get there. But I don't care as much after a winning start although I would have loved to have been with you all.

Really looking forward to the season ahead of us now.

It was great fun - warm weather, big atmosphere, beating a team who on paper are a lot stronger.

We need additional forwards though. Lameries looks weak and Maddison a lot to learn. Fleck did a lot better in the second half. Tactically good and fitness levels high.

I really cannot understand why stokes has never made it as a professional player until now. At this level he looks more than capable.

Grendel

What was his non football career?

Maybe not worth his while financially unless he got to a half decent pro level?

I'm pretty certain he played as a pro for someone (Crewe?) then got kicked out and never got any other offers. Strange.

Astute

I really cannot understand why stokes has never made it as a professional player until now. At this level he looks more than capable.

TM has an eye for a player. Not bothered where he gets them from. Non league or a prem loan. Just why many of us have faith in TM.

chiefdave

I'm pretty certain he played as a pro for someone (Crewe?) then got kicked out and never got any other offers. Strange.

According to wiki he played youth and reserve for Bolton, went to Crewe on loan. Got released by Bolton, had a trial at Walsall and didn't get signed. Then 5 years at Forrest Green.

Covstar

What a start to the season. We deserved to win and could have scored more if it wasn't for the post which denied us a much more comfortable scoreline. Weren't we supposed to get hammered by Wigan 4-0 or 5-0 according to a few on here who were adamant we needed a striker or two before this game and we look like a league two team based on how the pre season went...

All I will say is trust Mowbray's judgement and have patience for the right players to come along and have faith in TM's signings. He knows what he's doing and I'm delighted with how we've started the season. Another striker or two and a winger and we can expect big things from Coventry city this season.

Grendel

TM has an eye for a player. Not bothered where he gets them from. Non league or a prem loan. Just why many of us have faith in TM.

To be fair it wasn't Mowbray who bought him here.

Could prove a bit of a find.

Astute

To be fair it wasn't Mowbray who bought him here.

Could prove a bit of a find.

But it was TM who kept him whilst getting rid of better known players while some of us were not wanting to keep him. That is why he is a manager and we watch.

Philosorapter

BBC Mowbray interview: ..Played the biggest budget opponents in the league..

Nearly the first thing he said. Its true, this win is huge.

Philosorapter

I get the impression he does really know what he's doing.

aviles

I seem to recall being asked what pills am I taking saying we would dick on Wigan I will tell you what pills I'm taking I'm taking the Armstrong pill bitchzzzzzzz cheeky £24 win on a 2-0. Milwall prediction 5-1 you heard it here first

Astute

...so based on an earlier post, are me and Grendel allowed to be smug ;)

If you want to be smug with me ;)

I just hope this is where we can leave behind what has happened in the last bloody lots of years and unite for this season. The sky is the limit. Most of the favorites are in the bottom 4. Sheff Utd got hammered by Gillingham. We beat the team that some thought would walk this division. And it wasn't a lucky win.

Lets all sing together.

Grendel

If you want to be smug with me ;)

I just hope this is where we can leave behind what has happened in the last bloody lots of years and unite for this season. The sky is the limit. Most of the favorites are in the bottom 4. Sheff Utd got hammered by Gillingham. We beat the team that some thought would walk this division. And it wasn't a lucky win.

Lets all sing together.

They will still walk the division - their main concern is their goalkeeper is straight out of the Lee Burge school of distribution.

Gillingham will be a force this season.

Users who are viewing this thread