Wigan Athletic (Home) Match Thread (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

If you want to be smug with me ;)

I just hope this is where we can leave behind what has happened in the last bloody lots of years and unite for this season. The sky is the limit. Most of the favorites are in the bottom 4. Sheff Utd got hammered by Gillingham. We beat the team that some thought would walk this division. And it wasn't a lucky win.

Lets all sing together.

A thumbup for the last line.

Really though, at the end of the day it's one game. A win is obviously better than a loss(!) but just as if we lost it wouldn't have been the end of the world, let's not set ourselves up for a fall by getting overly carried away by one game.

Ten games time, and if we've won them all we can all try and out-smug one another ;)

Perryccfc

Great result. My only concern is sisu decide the team is good enough and limit TMs budget even more.

CCFCKirky

Absolutely superb performance today, Armstrong looked like a threat every time he touched the ball and his movement off the ball was brilliant, looking forward to the Crewe game now!!

LJC_CCFC

Mowbray tactically outclassed Caldwell today, 4-2-4 was a stroke of genius against the three at the back.

Then he talks sense after the game. We are in for a good season.

Astute

They will still walk the division - their main concern is their goalkeeper is straight out of the Lee Burge school of distribution.

Gillingham will be a force this season.

But as has been said before you don't know that. They could be like us when we first ended up in this division. Reality soon hit home though. A manager not ready for what was to come and players not ready for the type of play.

letsallsingtogether

Typical good crowd and a win and I couldn't make it!
Mind you had regular updates from my brother, had a few funny looks from the locals in the beach bar as I shouted YES from the first text 1 up.........
Can't wait for Saturday to see my first game this term...PUSB

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I'm just happy we're in the play-offs position! :D

FRY-CCFC

Just brilliant today. Mowbray's experience told tactically out-witting Caldwell today. Armstrong excellent as expected.

Otis

Willis really wasn't that bad. Wigan seemed to change the formation in the second half. Also the two central midfielders were far far better in the second half.

Possession stats must have been hugely in our favour second half

There will be a lot of excitement after this but the squad is wafer thin and already you worry with JOB injured who could step in.

They played intelligently though and given the small forward line played to its strengths.

Great atmosphere as well.

Willis wasn't that bad, but we still don't know that, that wasn't the reason Wigan changed things. We brought Phillips on and they changed the way they played. Coincidence? who knows.

Quite possible though that when they had us watched they identified our right flank as a weakness when Willis plays at right back (and let's face it, they were having some joy and a number of crosses were coming into our box). They may well have seen with Phliips being quicker and more agile they wouldn't get the same joy.

No reason to believe the 2 weren't linked.

Willis didn't play that badly, but Wigan were channeling so much down their left flank and it was where they were the most dangerous, with James getting quite a few balls over.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
They will still walk the division - their main concern is their goalkeeper is straight out of the Lee Burge school of distribution.

Gillingham will be a force this season.

Probably why they want Kirkland back. Then again, wasn't the one today the O'Donnell who was at Walsall last season? Looked decent against us then if I recall correctly

JulianDarbyFTW

Quinn? None that spring to mind in my lifetime.

I am calling it now: Armstrong is the new Robbie Keane. Just need the new Cedric Roussel now.

Quinn got 2 in a 3-2 defeat to Man City. I remember it because I claim the assist - Big John Williams was running down the wing and I shouted for him to cross it, which he did without looking up, and Micky Quinn popped it in the onion bag.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Mowbray tactically outclassed Caldwell today, 4-2-4 was a stroke of genius against the three at the back.

Then he talks sense after the game. We are in for a good season.

I thought 4-2-4 was only a desperation tactic on football manager! Proven wrong today! We set up well with it, and it worked. Always kept our shape too.

Kingokings204

Great today everyone. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Played really well and could of been 3-4.

Burge made one save of note I can remember so throughly deserved.

skybluepm2

Couldn't be happier with that performance, atmosphere change was also noticeable and the pre and half time entertainment was improved.

Some of the passing and movement was sublime. I honestly cannot recall the last time we won comfortably and played so well at the same time. Obviously it's a small step but we have to revel in these moments, they don't happen too often to us!

Armstrong is going to be some player, he was unplayable at times today. Won the ball back, perfect touch, electrifying pace and two fantastic finishes. He was the main difference today and long may it continue.

robbiethemole

Wilis went off with concussion, so precaution from the coaching staff is the keyword nowadays.

Fantastic result, got a bit of sun on us and plenty of blue sky.. PUSB

skybluepm2

That was almost very embarrassing for him. How he managed it, even he must be wondering!

He did ok, but still stayed on his line for all but one corner, continuously gave away possession straight to their keeper from his kicks and was hesitant. He will be our weak link but today I will leave his slagging off to a minimum as he kept a clean sheet ;)

Suffolkskyblue

Just got back, very impressed today. Wasn't expecting much after the disappointing preseason games. Armstrong reminds me of a young - better looking mind - Wayne Rooney and was also impressed by Vincelot. Onwards and upwards! PUSB.

lifeskyblue

All round v good display. The players that TM has bought in ...ricketts, Vincelot, lameries and Armstrong all had v good games. All have improved the quality of their position.
and TMs tactics playing a sort of 4-2-4 at times was inspired today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sw88

Chief Commentator!
He did ok, but still stayed on his line for all but one corner, continuously gave away possession straight to their keeper from his kicks and was hesitant. He will be our weak link but today I will leave his slagging off to a minimum as he kept a clean sheet ;)

Atleast his Kicks stayed in play making their way to the opposition keeper, rather than letting every one in row Z have a touch of the ball every 5 minutes like normal :)

Terry Gibson's perm

I thought Wigan played like a team who have just met! I wasn't very impressed but they may improve and the money to do it, they will have to improve a lot to get the 100 points they talked about.

Astute

I thought Wigan played like a team who have just met! I wasn't very impressed but they may improve and the money to do it, they will have to improve a lot to get the 100 points they talked about.

TBF I have only seen Grendel say about 100 points and Wigan walking this division. And he still thinks so. He may still be right but there was a lack of evidence of it today.

SkyBlue_Bear83

TBF I have only seen Grendel say about 100 points and Wigan walking this division. And he still thinks so. He may still be right but there was a lack of evidence of it today.
The Wigan chairman said something along similar lines during preseason.

NorthernWisdom

If I was a Wigan fan I'd be worried. Their benefactor's stepping back, and it seems nobody's able to pick up the mantle.

That said, they'd have a spectacularly awful season if they weren't challenging, at least, given the relative strength of owner's largesse and parachute payments.

But it's a hell of a decline recently!

Astute

The Wigan chairman said something along similar lines during preseason.

And most of us on here found it funny whilst waiting to see what happens.

OK so there is two. Who are all the others?

wingy

Couldn't be happier with that performance, atmosphere change was also noticeable and the pre and half time entertainment was improved.

Some of the passing and movement was sublime. I honestly cannot recall the last time we won comfortably and played so well at the same time. Obviously it's a small step but we have to revel in these moments, they don't happen too often to us!

Armstrong is going to be some player, he was unplayable at times today. Won the ball back, perfect touch, electrifying pace and two fantastic finishes. He was the main difference today and long may it continue.

League highlights on Channel 5 tonight, programme starts at 9.00.

We should get a decent feature as they are league favourites.

Terry Gibson's perm

And most of us on here found it funny whilst waiting to see what happens.

OK so there is two. Who are all the others?

Sorry Astute the Wigan chairman made the comment I was putting the kids to bed so had to type fast, I think they will be up there at the end but would have to change their team a bit from today and also the way they play reminds me a bit of Us Under the previous manager and Everton under their current manager wanting lots of possession but not bothered where it is

Astute

Sorry Astute the Wigan chairman made the comment I was putting the kids to bed so had to type fast, I think they will be up there at the end but would have to change their team a bit from today and also the way they play reminds me a bit of Us Under the previous manager and Everton under their current manager wanting lots of possession but not bothered where it is

Is your alias on here CCFC? :thinking about:

I think they might struggle for a bit before they get it together. By this time they will need a good run just to catch up.

Users who are viewing this thread