Ashes 17/18 Thread (2 Viewers)

eastwoodsdustman

First 10 overs tonight are going to be massive for the series.
I think smith might struggle from a right arm around the wicket. Angle the ball accross him and he will be playing against the line of the ball instead of with it as he gets across so much and helps it on usually with the angle over the wicket. Has to be worth a try as nothing else seems to work against him.

chiefdave

Massive test cricket fan, sadly lack of coverage has made this Ashes a non event for me
You should be able to watch it online with a VPN. I use Vypr and have never had any problems with it. There's free, legal, streams available from Australian and Indian broadcasters.

Otis

Massive test cricket fan, sadly lack of coverage has made this Ashes a non event for me
Oh, there's lots of coverage, Macca, you just have to pay for it.
I really think that the big events should be ringfenced and protected and available to all.

FA Cup Final
The Ashes
Grand National
Boat Race
Six Nations
Wimbledon
The Open

It certainly seems to be getting worse in terms of you having to pay for stuff. I already pay for Amazon Prime, Sky through Virgin, BT Sports, NowTV and Netflix and it's usually based around just a few programmes from each channel that I want to watch.

Just seen the VPN comment. Still not sure on that and know so little on the subject.

Grendel

I really think that the big events should be ringfenced and protected and available to all.

FA Cup Final
The Ashes
Grand National
Boat Race
Six Nations
Wimbledon
The Open

It certainly seems to be getting worse in terms of you having to pay for stuff. I already pay for Amazon Prime, Sky through Virgin, BT Sports, NowTV and Netflix and it's usually based around just a few programmes from each channel that I want to watch.

Just seen the VPN comment. Still not sure on that and know so little on the subject.

You can’t have the ashes ring fenced and I don’t actually think there’s massive interest nationally anyway.

A VPN would work as you can dial in as if your in Asia Pacific I assume.

chiefdave

Its pretty easy, the one I use you just download their software then when you want to use it you pick the country and connect. You can then use the internet as usual but when you go to a website it thinks your from the other country you've selected.

So for example you select Australia and then go to the cricket Australia website you can watch their stream rather than getting a message saying you're in the wrong country.

Otis

Its pretty easy, the one I use you just download their software then when you want to use it you pick the country and connect. You can then use the internet as usual but when you go to a website it thinks your from the other country you've selected.

So for example you select Australia and then go to the cricket Australia website you can watch their stream rather than getting a message saying you're in the wrong country.
Is there no problem with viruses and being vulnerable to hacking etc?

chiefdave

Is there no problem with viruses and being vulnerable to hacking etc?
I imagine if you use something free you might be at risk but a decent paid service won’t give you a problem. I pay £3 a month and have no complaints.

Gazolba

Yep, no coverage whatsoever where I am. Can't even watch the BBC clips, just get 'this content is not available in your location'. Even get that for the women's ashes clips. Not even any video clips on icc-cricket.com. There might be something on YouTube but I'm too lazy to look.

Last edited:

Gazolba

<snip>
Don't we pay via all the adverts that pop up everywhere?
In the rugby league world-cup games, they actually project the adverts onto the pitch while the game is in progress.
I pay a small fortune per month for my cable TV and internet service. There's no way I'm going to pay over and above that for anything else.

Mcbean

TMS on the radio is epic for coverage - i don't have BT sport but have listened everynight with small earphones while dozing in bed - was particularly gripping this morning - try it - either R4 LW or R5live sports extra

Gazolba

Joe Root needs to play a Steve Smith innings but you just know he'll do something stupid.

SkyBlueSoul

He’s done okay so far, if he gets to 50 he really needs to convert it though. Hopefully Mo will stick around with him. Someone needs too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gazolba

Only Moeen and Bairstow left now because Australia will rip through our tail.
This is shaping up like a defeat.
When three of your top batsmen make less than 10 runs each, it's just not good enough.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Aussies cantering towards the win!

It's going to be a long way back in this series.

Staying the obvious but England HAVE to win at Adelaide & work out a plan for dismissing Smith!

Otis

Think this is the way the series will go now. It was vital for England to not go one down. 170 is surely not going to be enough.

Once again England have got players in and got going only to not then convert into really big scores. Familiar feel to it all yet again.

Only way we can win this now is with a combination of top class bowling and Aussie non application, lackadaisical attitude and lack of focus.

Going 1 down will probably mean there's no coming back. Aussie tails up, England down in the dumps and trying to work out out where in went wrong. Aussie same team, England having to rejig.

Otis

Ha! Just watching it now and realised I had it all on delay. Was waiting for the Aussie innings to start, but just tried fast forward on my Virgin box only to find out they are already 60 for 0.

Goodnight Vienna.

Covstu

This one is over but debateable call on the line or not. Overall we were not good enough with the bat and the Aussies scored the runs when it counted. Onto the next

Mcbean

mmm disappointing - but after Mo gameover - their bowlers are assassins and all three at the top of their game - if you can get wickets on demand you win - still - i wont have to feel a bit knackered tomorrow at work having stayed up - still smarting after the refereeing quality at the RA yesterday dumpkoff

stupot07

Nothing in life is certain except death, taxes and an England batting collapse.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mcbean

So Bancroft could be as bigger wanker as Lyon - these are similar to Sunderland gobshites - yes we were shite today but as least we know that !

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

And off to Adelaide they go, England have to win this under the lights!

(Starts 3:30am Saturday morning, so at least it means a decent nights sleep & a few hours cricket in the morning)

Not sure if they'll make any changes maybe Overton for Ball but like I said before this test Overton playing the 1st test made more sense.

Big chance now for the England Lions, bowlers especially to stake a claim for the 3rd test (unless somebody has a blinder over the next couple of days).

Otis

Must be really deflating though this, despite all the painting of positives of some pundits.

Bottom line is no-one got a century, we had yet another batting collapse and we lost by 10 wickets.

If anyone told you all that before the game you'd be pretty downhearted wouldn't you.

Need to dust ourselves down, stop feeling sorry for ourselves (a few commentators said they could see English heads dropping at certain points) and come out fighting.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Must be really deflating though this, despite all the painting of positives of some pundits.

Bottom line is no-one got a century, we had yet another batting collapse and we lost by 10 wickets.

If anyone told you all that before the game you'd be pretty downhearted wouldn't you.

Need to dust ourselves down, stop feeling sorry for ourselves (a few commentators said they could see English heads dropping at certain points) and come out fighting.

I thought at the start of the chase we'd lose but have them 3/4 down, maybe Bancroft & Khawaja cheap again, give them something to worry about, maybe a go at Smith who knows, get him cheaply you have a bit of something on him.

Instead Bancroft gets confidence, Smith still goes in on th backnof an unbeaten 141, bowlers confidence lower!

chiefdave

And off to Adelaide they go, England have to win this under the lights!

(Starts 3:30am Saturday morning, so at least it means a decent nights sleep & a few hours cricket in the morning)
Huge game coming up. If they go 2-0 down its all over.

Think I'll go for early nights and get up about 6am to get a few hours of the game in. Will probably take me all of this week to recover for the lack of sleep during the first test!

SkyBlueSoul

For some reason I tortured myself and watched the finish last night, figured I'd committed enough time already so I might as well see it through. Knew it wasn't gonna last that long either! I saw about 3 balls challenge Bancroft, the rest was just easy for them.

Better conditions in Adelaide though and they normally prepare a nice green pitch for the D/N tests there. Think I'll be hitting the hay straight after dinner then getting up for the start on weekdays. I leave my job in a month so have mentally checked out, the fact I'm super lethargic has made no difference :joyful:

Covstu

I didnt bother last night as it was a full gone conclusion. Sadly we went out with a whimper but I am taking solace in that no one wins at the Gabba so hopefully with a pitch that is more suited to our style of play then we might get some luck. I fear for Jimbo as he either is not confident at the moment or covering an injury, this is one player who we need to do damage in the 2nd Test.
We don't win that one, then its all over.

Mcbean

just a thought - Is it confirmed that Stokes is out - i thought a decision on a further charge was pending last week

Users who are viewing this thread