Ashes 17/18 Thread (4 Viewers)

chiefdave

Compare how the Aussies handle it to the way Strauss was banging on about official statements and team debriefings. Totally fall into their trap every time.

Gazolba

Apparently the Aussies have a plan for every one of our batsmen. They all have well-known weaknesses or are so predictable in certain circumstances that all the Aussies have to do is to position a fielder in a certain spot then bowl a particular ball, and the batsman will duly hit it straight to the pre-positioned fielder.
Do we have any plan for getting their guys out? Has anyone analysed their weaknesses?

Grendel

I don’t really know what people expected. Ian Botham was playing when we last won at the Gabbotoir over 30 years ago - last time we lost by over 300 runs. Most countries struggle.

Given the inexperience and the relative failure of Root and the failure of Cook the fact we remained in the game for 3 days was an over achievement.

Like South Africa we’ve a transitional team. We may pick up a result in Sydney and outside chance in Perth. A 3-1 reverse would be a good effort if we can manage it.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Not a bad move re- Stokes have him ready to go, aclimitised, a few games, out the way of the Aussie media (directly) and have him ready to go for the 3rd test (hopefully at 1-1) I'm assuming/confident they know he'll be all cleared by then.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I don’t really know what people expected. Ian Botham was playing when we last won at the Gabbotoir over 30 years ago - last time we lost by over 300 runs. Most countries struggle.

Given the inexperience and the relative failure of Root and the failure of Cook the fact we remained in the game for 3 days was an over achievement.

Like South Africa we’ve a transitional team. We may pick up a result in Sydney and outside chance in Perth. A 3-1 reverse would be a good effort if we can manage it.

I think 4-1 is more likely than 3-1 bar a few days bad weather, I cannot see a draw.

Englands bowling attack is toothless on Aussie decks when they're flat and quick!

Gazolba

Since Stokes hasn't been charged with anything yet, wouldn't it have made more sense to just send him on the tour, and if and when he is charged, send him home.
The Police may very well not make a decision until after the tour is over, and then announce he isn't being charged.
Even if he is charged, can't his lawyer argue for the charges to be dismissed and that would eat up even more time.

Last edited:

Gazolba

I don’t really know what people expected. <snip>.
Well I for one expected either Cook or Root to get a big score in one of their innings.
Root is ranked as the second best Test batsman in the world.
I did not expect three of our top batsmen to be dismissed for under 10 runs in the second innings.
We are either just not good enough or not well prepared enough. Maybe both.
But it's early days, maybe we will pull something off in the next Test. However, I'm not holding my breath.

eastwoodsdustman

Not a bad move re- Stokes have him ready to go, aclimitised, a few games, out the way of the Aussie media (directly) and have him ready to go for the 3rd test (hopefully at 1-1) I'm assuming/confident they know he'll be all cleared by then.

That’s exactly what I thought when I saw the story. Get him a match before bringing him back.

chiefdave

Since Stokes hasn't been charged with anything yet, wouldn't it have made more sense to just send him on the tour, and if and when he is charged, send him home.
One things for sure, if he was Australian they wouldn't have left him out.

Covstu

The Police may very well not make a decision until after the tour is over, and then announce he isn't being charged.
Even if he is charged, can't his lawyer argue for the charges to be dismissed and that would eat up even more time.
I think with potential police charges it was difficult but once that was cleared up then he should have went. I dont understand why this has taken so long to conclude but usual England style we seem to be dragging these things on to the detriment of the team. Equally the Johnny Bairstow 'headbutt' was also a piss take.

Covstu

I think 4-1 is more likely than 3-1 bar a few days bad weather, I cannot see a draw.

Englands bowling attack is toothless on Aussie decks when they're flat and quick!
I also don't get the rationale that the next test will suit us, what none of the Aussie's can play on this type of pitch?? Do we really think that they would even play there if that was the case!!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I also don't get the rationale that the next test will suit us, what none of the Aussie's can play on this type of pitch?? Do we really think that they would even play there if that was the case!!

I think it's a case England are more suited to Adelaide than any of the other venues, traditionally Adelaide slower wickets, swings a little, cooler temperature with it being Day night will favour an England attack devoid of any out and out pace and in Anderson a master of getting any swing out of conditions.

Covstu

I think it's a case England are more suited to Adelaide than any of the other venues, traditionally Adelaide slower wickets, swings a little, cooler temperature with it being Day night will favour an England attack devoid of any out and out pace and in Anderson a master of getting any swing out of conditions.
understand that but doesn't mean the aussies aren't going to turn up though does it!

Otis

That's Stokes done then probably. The file has been passed on to the CPS.

That's going to be a few more weeks of looking into the incident I would have thought.

Mcbean

Let's hope it works out - Stokes returns stoked gets a fifer and 150 and we stuff the Ozzie stirrers who are too busy celebrating

Otis

That's it over I think. They are now saying it will be several weeks before a decision to charge him or not will be made.

SkyBlueSoul

understand that but doesn't mean the aussies aren't going to turn up though does it!

I thought we'd be fine in Adelaide but am thinking it will be fairly close having looked at a few of the Aussie players have done v in D/N matches. Admittedly, some of these matches have been in the Sheffield Shield so should be taken with a pinch of salt, although it means a few of their players have had more exposure to the pink ball. These 4 are the pick of the bunch, while Warner has struggled in the 3 D/N tests they've played so far (138 runs at an avg of 23 and no half century). Obviously in the one D/N test we had we wiped the floor with West Indies so hey, stats show what you want them to and all that!

Aussie bowlers with the pink ball:
Starc
Matches: 6
Wickets: 42
Average: 17

Hazelwood
Wickets: 33
Average: 18

Aussie batsmen with the pink ball:
Smith
Runs: 749
Average: 68

Khawaja
Matches: 7
Runs: 802
Average: 62

Gazolba

What difference does the colour of the ball make?

Covstu

Broady looks like he is on for, hitting those balls consistently. Need to throw some bouncers at Khawaja as he looks a little nervous. Warner looks solid however

Users who are viewing this thread