Match Thread Coventry City - Crewe Alexandra Match Thread - Saturday 30th Sep (1 Viewer)

Tommo72

Just had a look.

9 shots on target against CCFC in the last 5 games. Just 1.8 shots on target against a game so currently the opposition practically only have 1 or 2 'chances' to score a game

Very impressive stat...

Grendel

Err, don't get that logic at all. I am talking about this game. Not talking about bringing Beavon on in any other game, but in this game, as in today's game, bringing Beavon on changed the game back in our favour and we suddenly started creating lots of chances again.

The fact is if Beavon hadn't tweaked his back robins would have stuck with the formation he'd had previously of him behind one striker. We've started winning games and creating chances as we have two regular forwards.

Beavon needs to only be a bit part player from now on

Nick

Administrator
The fact is if Beavon hadn't tweaked his back robins would have stuck with the formation he'd had previously of him behind one striker. We've started winning games and creating chances as we have two regular forwards.

It is weird how we get injury struck and start winning. Almost lucky.

Otis

Don't quite agree with that. Wouldn't say 'bit' player, cos I feel he has a valuable role to play. If I had made any changes to the starting 11 today up front it would have been McNulty.

All I am saying is Biamou and Nazon looked like they were running through treacle in that second half and that the substitution should have been made sooner.

I don't think Beavon should start every week, not by a long chalk, but he is certainly an option off the bench.

I think he will be valuable this season to us. Doesn't mean I suggest we keep picking him. From the bench doing what he did today will do just fine.

clint van damme

Maybe, but just today you could see it wasn't working. Yep, still looked fine at the back, but there's always a danger of a freak goal or a handball for a penalty etc.

As soon as Beavon came on we started creating lots of chances. Both Biamou and Nazon looked a little shot in that second half.

thought Biamou was OK until Crewe changed their shape after about half hour.
Kelly MoM for me.

clint van damme

This is certainly the most balanced squad we've had for some time albeit you have to take into account the division we're in.

clint van damme

thought Biamou was OK until Crewe changed their shape after about half hour.
Kelly MoM for me.

I actually though McDonald made a couple of little errors today which, admittedly that is being hyper critical but the headed clearance he made towards the end when he was the wrong side of the cross that came in was top class defending.
edit: somehow replied to myself instead of Otis - 3 wins in a week has gone to my head.

skybluegod

Tbf to both Biamou and nazon, not really a surprise they were blowing. Biamou started the last two and played 70 mins in the game before, and having only stepped up from non-league this season won’t have fully adapted.
Same with nazon first real taste of English football. 3 starts in a row, and he’s just come from Indian league last season. So as Otis says probably should have brought on beavon sooner.

NortonSkyBlue

Kelly and McDonald impressed for me, we got lucky with the free kick hitting the bar.
Nazon is very hit and miss but it was no coincidence that the chances flowed when Beavon came on.
Crewe were neat and tidy but Beavon stretched them and bought Kelly Evans and Jones into the game.
It was the first game for me this season and I must admit it was lovely to see us on the front foot after the dross last year.

ccfcway

It is weird how we get injury struck and start winning. Almost lucky.

You must have been confident nick ?

first game in a long time you haven't said something on the lines of "I can see them knicking one here".

Not critising, just seems to me you might be believing a bit more ?

Nick

Administrator
You must have been confident nick ?

first game in a long time you haven't said something on the lines of "I can see them knicking one here".

Not critising, just seems to me you might be believing a bit more ?
Had somebody sat either side so hardly had any room to type :( I was a bit worried with that spell of pressure they had. About 70 to 80 minutes when they hit the bar.

Last edited:

clint van damme

be nice to start getting a few more up there now we're on this run. I understand all the politics and the pricing etc but it's not often you get a feel good factor like this supporting City.

DannyThomas_1981

Don't agree Grendel. I don't see Beavon as an effective lone striker. But I do see him as being highly effective just in the hole behind the front man and linking play with our midfield axis. He's a really intelligent footballer and is on the same wavelength as our danger men - Nazon and Jones. This comes from someone who was unsure as to why Robins had kept him on. I get it now. I see Beavon in the withdrawn striker role playing a huge part this season.

Otis

Don't agree Grendel. I don't see Beavon as an effective lone striker. But I do see him as being highly effective just in the hole behind the front man and linking play with our midfield axis. He's a really intelligent footballer and is on the same wavelength as our danger men - Nazon and Jones. This comes from someone who was unsure as to why Robins had kept him on. I get it now. I see Beavon in the withdrawn striker role playing a huge part this season.
You can clearly see the intelligence in Beavon's play.

Tommo72

be nice to start getting a few more up there now we're on this run. I understand all the politics and the pricing etc but it's not often you get a feel good factor like this supporting City.

It will steadily rise, marginally more home fans there today than last week and Crewe isn’t any sort of pull but then again that factor is fairly irrelevant this season.

What is impressive is that you will prob see 1200/1300 for a televised 12.30pm kick off next week at Barnet!!

Grendel

You can clearly see the intelligence in Beavon's play.

He's scored no goals and has no assists all season

clint van damme

But he played well today so lets take the positives into next werks televised game and show the world why we are checkatrade champions!!!

true, but him and Biamou need to start putting a few away. There are only a couple of teams in the top 18 in the league who have scored less than us.

covcity4life

true, but him and Biamou need to start putting a few away. There are only a couple of teams in the top 18 in the league who have scored less than us.

Of course. But our defence gives them time to get it right.

Personally i woulf start mcnulty again over biamou. But whilst we winning maybe we shouldnt

Leave it to MR

Covstu

It was a solid performance but a game of missed chances, we could have took 4 of them today but thankfully got the early goal so not real panic stations in the end. We look tight at the back again but to be fair Crewe were poor.

I think Beavon offers another alternative to the frontline which I think is needed in games where we cannot break through their defense but he does need someone like duck to understand him and run for the knock downs and through balls.

It's extremely tight at the top now, nothing between the top8 but all we can do is keep winning or at least take point s away and win at home and we should be there. It's a bit GOT at the moment, lots of pretenders to the crown but no one sitting there for a long time!

Grendel

So we blaming him for the assists that he sets up for fellow strikers that they then fail to convert?

He can assist and set up chances. Not his fault if those chances aren't taken.

Did he help set up chances today or not?

He set a couple up against a stretched team already losing. Personally I'm glad he got injured when he did - we wouldn't have won 3 on the bounce with him in the team.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Rod McDonald was my man of the match , absolutely awesome , what a find he is.
I put that down to Mark Robins .

Users who are viewing this thread