Prince Harry (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Okay by that definition some of the less senior Royals are not appropriate. William and Kate from what I see appear to be quite normal and are not out to maximise earnings etc and if you look into how they live in the pre children days it was in humble surroundings by royal terms.

I am not a staunch supporter of the royal family but based on what I see and hear of them some are wronguns some are misguided and some seem half decent.
Peter Crouch podcast in Kensington palace is quite funny

I’m sure they’re all good people. Just saying that being a Royal is having your personal life in the limelight in exchange for cash. “By royal standards” is exactly the point. He hardly grew up on a council estate. I’m not sure what you want a media personality married to another media personality to do really when looking for cash. Get a job at Amazon maybe?

How he handles his relationship with his family is up to him. There’s clearly massive interest in it. I’m not arsed either way. Don’t care about any of it, just like social media influencers to me TBH. Fodder for the tabloids and not much else.

ccfc1234

I’m sure they’re all good people. Just saying that being a Royal is having your personal life in the limelight in exchange for cash. “By royal standards” is exactly the point. He hardly grew up on a council estate. I’m not sure what you want a media personality married to another media personality to do really when looking for cash. Get a job at Amazon maybe?

How he handles his relationship with his family is up to him. There’s clearly massive interest in it. I’m not arsed either way. Don’t care about any of it, just like social media influencers to me TBH. Fodder for the tabloids and not much else.
Agree they are like social media influencers in a way and I like some and find most pretty annoying. All I am saying is Harry and Megan I find a bit narsasistic money driven and hypocritical and William and Kate seem far more grounded.

All in all lots more important stuff going on in the world.

oakey

What stories have Kate and William sold?

What other Royals have done a media campaign revealing family secrets. I may have missed them?
I think you may have missed the central point Harry has made. His point is that the establishment Royals have an unhealthy relationship with the media. He claims the tabloids in particular "own" them. They protect Charles, William etc and give their "side" all the time but in return the RF have to feed them stories and keep quiet and dignified in public.
Harry refuses to do this after what happened to his mother. He claims the RF refused to stick up for him and his wife when negative stories surfaced. He feels betrayed and abandoned, rightly or wrongly, and since the tabloids have been gunning for him he's decided to get his side out directly.
I keep hearing that we're only hearing one side and it isn't fair as the RF can't respond ... but if Harry is right the tabloids give their side relentlessly.

shmmeee

Agree they are like social media influencers in a way and I like some and find most pretty annoying. All I am saying is Harry and Megan I find a bit narsasistic money driven and hypocritical and William and Kate seem far more grounded.

All in all lots more important stuff going on in the world.

Not so grounded that they’d give up their life of massive privilege though, or end the whole thing all together.

Lizzie’s biggest strength was public image manipulation in a media age, William too. The aim of the game is coming across like someone you don’t want to kick out cos they’re a lovely sort, above politics and good for tourism and charity so let them keep their gold coaches and palaces eh old sport?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Shall we have a sweepstake on who the women who popped his cherry was ?

I’m saying Mel B
All I've got in my head is Harry going "I really, really, really, want to...er... zig-a-zig-ah" as if he's Hugh Grant in some Richard Curtis movie.

ccfc1234

“William and Kate appear to be quite normal…….here’s the podcast they recorded at their home in Kensington Palace”
Normal by royal standards. Habe you seen the kind of people who come out of Eaton. William I think because of his mums charity work etcis more normal than a lot of his peers.

ccfc1234

Not so grounded that they’d give up their life of massive privilege though, or end the whole thing all together.

Lizzie’s biggest strength was public image manipulation in a media age, William too. The aim of the game is coming across like someone you don’t want to kick out cos they’re a lovely sort, above politics and good for tourism and charity so let them keep their gold coaches and palaces eh old sport?
How do you suggest they give it all up? Do you seriously think the institution or his dad for that matter would allow it. Harry himself says they are trapped and the first borns are. The Queen played along in the media age but was dedicated to service and had more engagements on behalf of the UK than any person in history. Most were so minor they did not make then national media so to call her a media manipulator I think drastically overstates the negative and fails to recognise the role she was in was one where you have to smile when you might want to cry.

tisza

I think you may have missed the central point Harry has made. His point is that the establishment Royals have an unhealthy relationship with the media. He claims the tabloids in particular "own" them. They protect Charles, William etc and give their "side" all the time but in return the RF have to feed them stories and keep quiet and dignified in public.
Harry refuses to do this after what happened to his mother. He claims the RF refused to stick up for him and his wife when negative stories surfaced. He feels betrayed and abandoned, rightly or wrongly, and since the tabloids have been gunning for him he's decided to get his side out directly.
I keep hearing that we're only hearing one side and it isn't fair as the RF can't respond ... but if Harry is right the tabloids give their side relentlessly.
Harry has (and does) employ his own media people to control his own narrative - as do many "celebrities". His TV interviews, books etc. are him using the media to his advantage.
Problem with "celebrities" is happy to use media to further themselves then get upset when negative stories appear.
Let's not forget there's a very big cheque behind this book so it needs controversy to sell.
Media have been rightly ruthless with Andrew. Haven't seen much evidence of special priveleges for the RF there. They went after Philip every time he said something unpleasant. The recent racism with that courtier had plenty of media coverage. Charles was picked at for a long period by the tabloids over his environmentalism, breakdown of his marriage, the Camilla relationship.

oakey

Tisza, all that you say can be true but does not dispute Harry's basic point that the media are in cahoots with the RF main players. He told Oprah Winfrey that he feels sorry for his dad and brother because they are being controlled. Yes, they get bad coverage sometimes but that is coercive control. In effect he alleges they are bullied by the media but he refuses to be.
Now Harry could be completely wrong both in substance of allegations and in blabbing at all - but the idea that the RF can't get their version out is absurd. Many have contributed to books, including Charles with Jonathan Dimbleby and, of course, Diana.

As it happens I used to think the tabloids made a lot up but now see from the Diana years that the RF are briefing favoured hacks frequently.

tisza

Tisza, all that you say can be true but does not dispute Harry's basic point that the media are in cahoots with the RF main players. He told Oprah Winfrey that he feels sorry for his dad and brother because they are being controlled. Yes, they get bad coverage sometimes but that is coercive control. In effect he alleges they are bullied by the media but he refuses to be.
Now Harry could be completely wrong both in substance of allegations and in blabbing at all - but the idea that the RF can't get their version out is absurd. Many have contributed to books, including Charles with Jonathan Dimbleby and, of course, Diana.

As it happens I used to think the tabloids made a lot up but now see from the Diana years that the RF are briefing favoured hacks frequently.
Of course every media outlet has a "royal correspondent". Don't think anyone disputes connections between RF and media but not convinced anything sinister in that. Each section of the media has "special" links with their area of coverage whether it be RF,politics, sports etc. Wasn't much of the initial negative media about Markle fed from her side of the family? Public appetite for scandal drives that part of the media as it sells.
Again media and celebrities have a symbiotic relationship - celebrities need coverage, public feeds on it and so it makes media money.

Hertsccfc

I really have no interest in the royals and feel the monarchy is a ridiculous anachronism and should be abolished. As a result I have little interest in this dispute but I do suspect what you say here is right.

Sbarcher

Not at all. I am basing my views on what Harry and Megan have done for money using their notoriety. If some people in the media have said something simular so what. From the sources I look at many are on his side so I am not sure 'media' can appropriately be used as a blanket term like that.
A few hundred years ago, Harry would have been raising an army and marching on London. Such a shame we are a bit more civilised now, it would make great reality TV.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

More people watched Happy Valley on BBC 1 last night than the Harry Hewitt interview. Official.
Not enough sympathy for Mr Hewitt. It's boring as hell .

Nick

Administrator
Happy Valley is decent though. Reminds me I need to watch the new one.

What's he saying in his interviews now?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Happy Valley is decent though. Reminds me I need to watch the new one.

What's he saying in his interviews now?
Happy valley final series is as good as the other series. Utterly brilliant .

Sbarcher

Fastest selling non-fiction book ever apparently 🤣 mission accomplished then…..really would sell his granny for a tenner.
It’s £28 I understand. As if the poor little Rich boy hasn’t enough dollars.

skybluetony176

Fastest selling non-fiction book ever apparently 🤣 mission accomplished then…..really would sell his granny for a tenner.
Probably something to do with all the free publicity the right wing press are giving him and Megan. Someone suggested the other week that on a day that The Mail accused them of being attention seekers in a headline The Mail had produced over 60 different articles about them in the previous 2 days. Kind of ironic. What gets me is while the press is wetting themselves over what they’re going to do or say next they’ve got fuck all to say about his pedophile uncle, they’re literally giving him a free pass.

Sick Boy

Probably something to do with all the free publicity the right wing press are giving him and Megan. Someone suggested the other week that on a day that The Mail accused them of being attention seekers in a headline The Mail had produced over 60 different articles about them in the previous 2 days. Kind of ironic. What gets me is while the press is wetting themselves over what they’re going to do or say next they’ve got fuck all to say about his pedophile uncle, they’re literally giving him a free pass.
The Mail’s coverage of them is bizarre. It’s articles and readers seem to want them to stop and have no publicity but it ha obsessively covered them for ages now.

stay_up_skyblues

For sure. The irony of the press hating couple constantly engaging the press and the M&H hating press constantly promoting his book isn’t lost on me.

tisza

It’s £28 I understand. As if the poor little Rich boy hasn’t enough dollars.
Seems to be on sale at 14 quid in the biggest outlets. Penguin going to need to sell a shedload to cover the reported 20 million advance!!

tisza

There's an irony about it. Harry's constant theme is British media the worst etc. and needs reforming yet same media literally selling his book for him.
Read a lot of online uk newspapers (being based outside UK) and I'm amazed at how much coverage (column inches) this book is being given.

shmmeee

The Mail’s coverage of them is bizarre. It’s articles and readers seem to want them to stop and have no publicity but it ha obsessively covered them for ages now.

The Mail does this a lot. See also “OMG look at these scantily clad women, isn’t it terrible!? Let’s make sure we know how terrible it is by having a three page photo spread”

A large part of their business model is giving plausible deniability to their readerbase for enjoying things they claim on the surface are terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread