Russell Brand (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

There's a very serious allegation against Stephen K Amos and the young man involved took his own life.

Serious question: would people support raising the Age of Consent to 18 at least? I'd even argue as high as 25 with suitable Romeo and Juliet laws.

Finham

The additional problem is due to the algorithms people probably only hear/see views that they already share, reinforcing what they already believe. Basically echo chambers.

Balanced, critical thinking has long gone which is why we have such polarisation of strongly held views now.
The algorithms are terrible now. Searches take much longer and throw up all sorts of "popular" nonsense!

wingy

Natural consequence of the demise of "X" I reckon can't go near the place without seeing trump etc .

Ian1779

Serious question: would people support raising the Age of Consent to 18 at least? I'd even argue as high as 25 with suitable Romeo and Juliet laws.
It won’t stop youngsters that fool around with each other, but if it protects youngsters from preying adults that are much older than them then maybe it’s worth exploring.

Grendel

It won’t stop youngsters that fool around with each other, but if it protects youngsters from preying adults that are much older than them then maybe it’s worth exploring.

Doubt it fits into the labour idea for votes at 16

NorthernWisdom

Try sharing a YouTube account with an 8 year old...

My feed is half data engineering conferences and half Roblox tutorials. And then there's the stuff my daughter is adding!
Should see what my work account recommends given I forget to log out...

I long for the day that after someone watches one of our worthy videos they then get pointed to AC/DC's Thunderstruck.

Grendel

It's probably fair to say if you're old enough to leave school and work, marry etc then you're old enough to vote. Where that age should be can be open to debate, but the current incosistency is slightly absurd.

In that case it’s fine for older people to manipulate 16 year olds minds with false promises as well as their bodies

NorthernWisdom

In that case it’s fine for older people to manipulate 16 year olds minds with false promises as well as their bodies
'OK' is maybe pushing it, but that's the difference between legal and moral isn't it. If that's the age society decides people are adults, then they're treated as adults. That doesn't mean people don't have some personal resposibility however. As it stands, nothing illegal about having 12 mistresses, but eyebrows might be raised...

shmmeee

It's probably fair to say if you're old enough to leave school and work, marry etc then you're old enough to vote. Where that age should be can be open to debate, but the current incosistency is slightly absurd.

You aren’t though. School leaving age is 18, marriage without parental consent is 18. There’s no good argument for it unless you’re undoing the age of majority generally.

shmmeee

I think in reality higher than 18 would be hard without also doing the same with things like smoking and alcohol and voting. But 18 makes sense. I don’t know anyone who thinks a 40 year old and a 16 year old is an acceptable pairing (and I’ve been swiping on Tinder for ages! (Jk jk jk)).

Grendel

Exactly, so you can go and work after leaving school at 16 can't you!

No one at 16 is finding their own house or almost certainly paying taxes. The voting age really should be 21 and she of consent 18

Ian1779

Doubt it fits into the labour idea for votes at 16
We all know that’s an abandoned pledge now Kid Starver is in charge. He’d bring in mandatory national service for kids for half a dozen red wall votes.

NorthernWisdom

You can work at 14 if you want. It’s not a signifier of adulthood. And again you’re playing semantics with school, you can’t leave education.
Can you, or can you not leave school at 16 and work?

If you're going to argue, at least do it with the wrong I did get wrong as opposed to arguing against something which is correct.

shmmeee

Can you, or can you not leave school at 16 and work?

If you're going to argue, at least do it with the wrong I did get wrong as opposed to arguing against something which is correct.

Fine. The technical term is “participation age”. The underlying point though is that the government can do this for U18s when there would be uproar at a similar rule for adults because the age of majority is 18. And that’s all that matters.

You can technically leave home at 16 but legally your parents are still responsible for your welfare. Not so at 18. This idea that “oh it’s 16 for everything already” is a complete lie. The law is very clear at every step it’s 18, even if 16 year olds get some gradual freedoms.

NorthernWisdom

Fine. The technical term is “participation age”. The underlying point though is that the government can do this for U18s when there would be uproar at a similar rule for adults because the age of majority is 18. And that’s all that matters.

You can technically leave home at 16 but legally your parents are still responsible for your welfare. Not so at 18. This idea that “oh it’s 16 for everything already” is a complete lie. The law is very clear at every step it’s 18, even if 16 year olds get some gradual freedoms.
My entire point was that it *wasn't* 16 for everything!

shmmeee

My entire point was that it *wasn't* 16 for everything!

It’s not 16 for anything. Army: not on the front line, working? Not in the adult industry or serving beer. Plus much lower NMW. If they’re performing they need a chaperone. Even the age of consent has a little asterisk for people in a position of authority like MPs teacher and police that says not until 18. Side note: this should also include celebrities.

I don’t like seeing my side playing blatant gerrymandering is all. If you want to argue 16 year olds are adults and all that comes with that (including fucking and drinking and fighting) then crack on, but I suspect you won’t (the wider “you” here obvs)

Last edited:

Terry_dactyl

From memory, I think the Children Act 1989/2002 specify that 16 & 17 year olds are just that, children, and should be treated as such under the law.

rob9872

Can still join the army and lose your life for the country at 16, but it's a big no to smoking, drinking or working without continued education 👍

fatso

Politicians manipulate every fuckers minds with false promises every day, and your bodies. Being 16 or over won't protect you.

You could raise the age of consent to whatever you want, but that won't stop anything.
FYI murder is illegal, as is rape, as is gun crime, drug dealing, stabbing etc etc but all are thriving it would seem.

CCFCSteve

Can still join the army and lose your life for the country at 16, but it's a big no to smoking, drinking or working without continued education 👍

Not sure you can be deployed on the front line in the army at 16 ie I think you can join but not put in harms way. As you say you cant drink, smoke, watch certain films (dirty or violent), marry etc so I can’t see how that would tie in with reducing voting age limit to 16

edit - also can’t be sent to an adult prison until 18.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread