The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (7 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sick Boy

I agree. We have done without big holidays. I only have older cars. Nice but older. My next buy will be about 7 years old. And will save about 60k from new. But it will be reliable and rust free. All the money I save goes to our retirement fund.

Or I can rent a new car....or lease as it is known these days and spend thousands on something that will never be mine. And when the lease is up look at getting another one as I will have lost thousands and have nothing to show for it. I could go on holiday where I have to hide from the heat as I have kids. I could try to outdo the neighbours but spend a fortune doing so.

This is what makes me laugh. People that waste money then moan they are skint. So skint they can't save for their old age. And getting past this mentality won't be easy.

Then you have those who genuinely can't afford to save for their older years.

It's crazy how many my people waste so much buying new, expensive cars. I've always been like you and couldn't care less which car I drive, personally. Might need your help in valuing a car before selling it at some point, if that's okay?

Sick Boy

The big sticking point now seems to be the Northern Ireland border.
As I see it only two options can work.
Either Ireland unites and ceases to be part of the UK entirely.
Seems highly unlikely that could be achieved except in the very long term.
Or, a hard border is created between the North and South.
I don't know why the vehement opposition to a hard border, they are after all two separate countries and they will be even more separate after the UK leaves the EU.
Any other solution will be a nightmare to administer.

There is no way that Brexit is worth breaking and terminating the Good Friday Agreement and the risk of returning to very dark days.

skybluetony176

Yes that’s right. He didn’t move his business as you put before. He opened another fund in Dublin just like he has funds in Asia and Australia.

So to say he moved his fund from the uk to Dublin to benefit from Eu rules isn’t correct.

Why did he need to open a fund in Ireland though? There’s no language barrier to overcome, it’s in the same time zone as the U.K., it’s 40 minutes by plane from pretty much anywhere in the U.K. If it’s not about brexit what is it about?

clint van damme

Yes that’s right. He didn’t move his business as you put before. He opened another fund in Dublin just like he has funds in Asia and Australia.

So to say he moved his fund from the uk to Dublin to benefit from Eu rules isn’t correct.

you believe that if you want.
I've got some magic beans for sale if you're interested.

Astute

There is getting enough money to fund retirement, (I think we're heading to the point where they are in the States where there are people who don't earn enough to fund retirement so have to carry on working), and then there is the potential health care costs, I think it's the health care which will be a real issue. The number of over 85s due to increase hugely in the next 10 to 15 years.
I'm off to Switzerland once my health goes downhill. I'm not interested in an existence in poor health. If it was a dog that was suffering we would see it as cruel to keep it alive. But if it is human it is murder to help stop the suffering. That is one thing that should stop. And it would also save a lit of money.

clint van damme

I'm off to Switzerland once my health goes downhill. I'm not interested in an existence in poor health. If it was a dog that was suffering we would see it as cruel to keep it alive. But if it is human it is murder to help stop the suffering. That is one thing that should stop. And it would also save a lit of money.

Harsh! Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Astute

It's crazy how many my people waste so much buying new, expensive cars. I've always been like you and couldn't care less which car I drive, personally. Might need your help in valuing a car before selling it at some point, if that's okay?
There is an easy way to value a car. Decide how you are going to sell it. Then decide how quickly you want to sell. If not bothered about speed put it up at near the top amount for where you are selling. If you want a quick sale slightly undercut the average.

I sell most if mine on eBay. Good description and start at 99p no reserve. Usually get a fair bit more than offered in a trade in if buying from a garage. And if private sale for next car I still need to sell.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
after all the self interest and ego, lack of leadership, double talk and double standards, misleading statistics, media and campaigns plus general skulduggery is it any wonder that the vast majority of the population have no trust or faith in politicians and the political process. As a nation we have been badly let down.

What was needed was leadership, clarity and pragmatism, a proper plan ............. instead we got the muppet show in every political colour

a complete farce

Captain Dart

If what’s being said on question time is correct there’s 84 letters of no confidence been delivered. Got a feeling tomorrow could be even more dramatic than today. Still not convinced she’ll end up going though.

Kingokings204

Why did he need to open a fund in Ireland though? There’s no language barrier to overcome, it’s in the same time zone as the U.K., it’s 40 minutes by plane from pretty much anywhere in the U.K. If it’s not about brexit what is it about?

It’s aboit opening business where the business is. A lot of Irish investors are wanting to make money so Dublin branch was opened just as he has one in Asia and Australia. Last time I checked they weren’t in the EU and to quote Clint benefit from EU rules. Put simply for people on here he goes where the business is. Just how McDonalds open branches in the US and here. Very simple.

Astute

Harsh! Let's hope it doesn't come to that.
The wife and I have agreed it is the way to go. Then the other one won't be trapped looking after the other one who is suffering.

A bit harsh maybe. But life is for living. I have seen too many people spend their last days....or even years suffering. And with medical advances it will only get worse.

Captain Dart

I'm in favour of freedom of movement, so long as for each person that comes in, someone else has to leave.
An increasing population is never a good idea for the simple fact that it is unsustainable.

Population fluctuations are not a steady state model. Unfortunately war, pestilence & famine are the historical control mechanisms.

clint van damme

It’s aboit opening business where the business is. A lot of Irish investors are wanting to make money so Dublin branch was opened just as he has one in Asia and Australia. Last time I checked they weren’t in the EU and to quote Clint benefit from EU rules. Put simply for people on here he goes where the business is. Just how McDonalds open branches in the US and here. Very simple.

you have done absolutely no research into Rees Mogg, his background and his philosophies if you think he hasn't got an agenda with the sole aim of making lots of money for him and his neo liberal chums and he will wreak havoc in order to maximise his profits.
Try reading his fathers book, he's a chip of the old block.

skybluetony176

So you’re saying that Irish investors won’t deal with an investment fund in a neighbouring country with no language barrier, no difference in time zones and should there need to be a face to face assuming that they don’t have Skype or FaceTime they can be there within an hour that’s currently in the EU? I know that’s his official line but please. Pull the other one. You don’t seriously buy that one do you?

Last edited:

Captain Dart

I always buy after someone else has paid for a chunk of depreciation then run them for a good few years.
Just got a 3 year old car after getting rid of a 17 year old (and perfectly serviceable car) I had for 12 years.
You still need to budget £500 to £1000 pa to replace the car eventually but the key to affordable is rather too boring for some, don't buy a large, sporty or prestige car.

Sick Boy

The wife and I have agreed it is the way to go. Then the other one won't be trapped looking after the other one who is suffering.

A bit harsh maybe. But life is for living. I have seen too many people spend their last days....or even years suffering. And with medical advances it will only get worse.

The thought of having to be entirely cared for by someone else terrifies me, personally.

Captain Dart

martcov

after all the self interest and ego, lack of leadership, double talk and double standards, misleading statistics, media and campaigns plus general skulduggery is it any wonder that the vast majority of the population have no trust or faith in politicians and the political process. As a nation we have been badly let down.

What was needed was leadership, clarity and pragmatism, a proper plan ............. instead we got the muppet show in every political colour

a complete farce

And that before putting it to the vote. It is not clever finding out what you bought after you paid for it.

dutchman

Are you quoting the Steven Wolfe figure that he later admitted was completely fictitious?

No, I've never even heard of "Steven Wolfe". I'm quoting the latest available figures from the Office of National Statistics:

Births by parents’ country of birth, England and Wales - Office for National Statistics

I suspect the birthrate among descendents of immigrants is also disproportionately high compared to the population as a whole but there are no offical figures for these.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
And that before putting it to the vote. It is not clever finding out what you bought after you paid for it.

seem to remember two recent votes that contributed to us arriving at this mess in the first place........... total miscalculations

skybluetony176

I see that the Ulster Farmers Union has called for the DUP to back the draft agreement but the DUP has said that if it gets through they’ll pull out of the agreement with the Tories. What a mess.

Johnnythespider

On a slight tangent, if you choose this way "out" what would be the implications for any life insurance policies and the like.
Not a loaded question, just curious

Sick Boy

I suspect the birthrate among descendents of immigrants is also disproportionately high compared to the population as a whole but there are no offical figures for these.

What is it about 'descendents of immigrants' that makes you think they have higher-birth rates? Does this analysis include white people as well?

Last edited:

dutchman

What is it about 'descendents of immigrants' that makes you think they have higher-birth rates?

It's unlikely it changes that much after a single generation. We know for a fact that 55% of London's population are now of non-British descent.

Does this analysis include all white people as well?

Obviously, since the official report I quoted cites Poles as having the highest birthrate. Romanians are well up there too in third place.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread