“Significant bids turned down” (1 Viewer)

cc84cov

I find it very odd that a figure of £5m has been plucked out and released, what on earth is the point of that if not a bit of consent manufacturing?
That’s his starting point he will go this month for 2m if we lucky 100k up front and the rest in nonsense “to fund the club for years to come”

Skyblueweeman

He had nothing to do with bringing Robins back

I don’t know how we’d know how we’ve navigated the pandemic compared to others

He did navigate us to Birmingham to be fair

I knew you'd be the first to pop up.

Do you think the club is in a better position since he's been at the club? (and I'm not saying he's solely responsible before you throw that one out...)

Skyblueweeman

I've only met him once, and tbf he came across pretty well. There were some inconsistencies, but I guess you have to accept that as an employee of the club, he's going to give the club's perspective, and that will be skewed.

This does read very much like trying to drum up business though - Richardson did this kind of thing quite a lot! And given our transfer incomings have generally gone under the radar until they're all but a done deal, this kind of vagueness, and mentioning a price is... odd, to say the least.

That doesn't make him Satan, but I'd be wary in this instance about the motivations.

I've spoken to him a few times over the phone and he's been great. The club have largely been a pleasure to work with as well. Hoping to meet him at the Saints game in a couple of weeks, all being well.

With regards to him drumming up business, I don't get it. All he says in the article that someone has posted in his notes is that we've turned down significant bids. Isn't that what we want to hear?

Another club isn't going to go 'well now we know the bloke from Cov has turned down significant offers for Player X, we'll put in an offer'. It doesn't work like that. Such assumptions are ridiculous.

If we lose players in the window, it's due to them being good, not because of a comment made by the CE in a matchday programme FFS!!!

Skyblueweeman

I know, it's what I said, hence why you were quoting my post.

Surely, though, if we're giving Boddy credit, we have to give the Chairman credit too, don't we?

I'd say so. The club overall is in a better position on a number of fronts than we were 5 years ago so those at the club in that time should get some credit.

SlowerThanPlatt

I've spoken to him a few times over the phone and he's been great. The club have largely been a pleasure to work with as well. Hoping to meet him at the Saints game in a couple of weeks, all being well.

With regards to him drumming up business, I don't get it. All he says in the article that someone has posted in his notes is that we've turned down significant bids. Isn't that what we want to hear?

Another club isn't going to go 'well now we know the bloke from Cov has turned down significant offers for Player X, we'll put in an offer'. It doesn't work like that. Such assumptions are ridiculous.

If we lose players in the window, it's due to them being good, not because of a comment made by the CE in a matchday programme FFS!!!

It’s difficult to believe it when the “significant bids” haven’t been reported by anyone else. Given we’re talking millions and presumably Premier League club involved, I’d say it’s unlikely.

NorthernWisdom

Years ago, I spent quite a bit of time chatting to David Beckham's former PR guy (slightly surreally, we ended up on the same course for something!). He said how just about all of the stories in the press were either made up by him and his colleagues, or... embellished, to serve a purpose. In particular, transfer offers and sponsorship deals were reported as being way beyond what they actually were. The reason for this was to create the impression that Beckham was in demand. Large transfer fees being rejected showed the club's ambition in rejecting them, and also meant anybody coming along in the future was scaled up in where they'd start bidding.

Likewise, here, it's a classic technique of a) getting fans onside (we tried to keep him, guv) so managing the fallout if and when they do leave, and b) signifying the player's available at the right price, and that right price is ratcheted up from where it might otherwise start from as it's creating the impression of competition. It also says act now, or you might miss out.

Now, I doubt Boddy's as cynical as Beckham's PR, but the principle is there.

NorthernWisdom

I'd say so. The club overall is in a better position on a number of fronts than we were 5 years ago so those at the club in that time should get some credit.
Fair play. FWIW I do think since Fisher's come into the club, if we can ignore the repeated stadium fiascos (a big if! They now tarnish Boddy as well) then the club's run more sanely than it has been for a number of years... and I appreciate that starts from a low bar!

Ultimately, they're all handicapped by the paymasters, however.

Skyblueweeman

It’s difficult to believe it when the “significant bids” haven’t been reported by anyone else. Given we’re talking millions and presumably Premier League club involved, I’d say it’s unlikely.

Surely the first ones to report it, would be the club as they'd be the party to say yay or nay? He didn't say which player so how can anyone else report it?

And my point still stands - a club interested in one of our players isn't going to sit on things until our Chief Exec says 'we've turned down bids' before making a bid. It's naive thinking at best. If our players are good enough to play for other clubs, I'm sure their scouting networks would pick them up and look to bid rather than doing it on the back of some comments in a matchday programme.

Skyblueweeman

Years ago, I spent quite a bit of time chatting to David Beckham's former PR guy (slightly surreally, we ended up on the same course for something!). He said how just about all of the stories in the press were either made up by him and his colleagues, or... embellished, to serve a purpose. In particular, transfer offers and sponsorship deals were reported as being way beyond what they actually were. The reason for this was to create the impression that Beckham was in demand. Large transfer fees being rejected showed the club's ambition in rejecting them, and also meant anybody coming along in the future was scaled up in where they'd start bidding.

Likewise, here, it's a classic technique of a) getting fans onside (we tried to keep him, guv) so managing the fallout if and when they do leave, and b) signifying the player's available at the right price, and that right price is ratcheted up from where it might otherwise start from.

And I totally get it and understand it.

But again - if players are worth their salt, clubs will know about them and bid on them if they want them. Boddys comments won't cause another club chairman to go 'hang on, we need to bid for Hamer now as Cov are looking to get rid of him'.

Genuinely can't see how people come to that conclusion. Maybe I'm the naive one.

Skyblueweeman

Fair play. FWIW I do think since Fisher's come into the club, if we can ignore the repeated stadium fiascos (a big if! They now tarnish Boddy as well) then the club's run more sanely than it has been for a number of years... and I appreciate that starts from a low bar!

Ultimately, they're all handicapped by the paymasters, however.

Agree with all of that!

mark82

Fisher in particular was key in bringing Robins back, so have to give credit for that as a minimum.

SBT

Where did it come from?
The Telegraph have reported it referencing Boddy's article which doesn't mention it.

According to the CT article "It’s understood that the club would not let the likes of Hamer or O’Hare go for less that £5m", which is typically code for "We've been told we can print the asking price is £5m, but Boddy can't say it on record"

If the number's incorrect then the club are free to come out and deny it. I don't expect they will.

Frostie

Likewise, here, it's a classic technique of a) getting fans onside (we tried to keep him, guv) so managing the fallout if and when they do leave, and b) signifying the player's available at the right price, and that right price is ratcheted up from where it might otherwise start from as it's creating the impression of competition. It also says act now, or you might miss out.

Totally agree with all that & it's absolutely commonplace in football.

The caveat I'd add in this case though, if we were really touting players I can think of much better strategies than a single sentence in a matchday program of all places.

NorthernWisdom

Totally agree with all that & it's absolutely commonplace in football.

The caveat I'd add in this case though, if we were really touting players I can think of much better strategies than a single sentence in a matchday program of all places.
Has to start somewhere, though, doesn't it? Now if you were being cynical, you'd say the Telegraph reporting £5mil is the follow-up in a pre-meditated strategy...

mark82

According to the CT article "It’s understood that the club would not let the likes of Hamer or O’Hare go for less that £5m", which is typically code for "We've been told we can print the asking price is £5m, but Boddy can't say it on record"

If the number's incorrect then the club are free to come out and deny it. I don't expect they will.

I don't imagine they're arsed one way or another. If they want to drum up interest there are far better and more direct ways of doing it than via local Coventry press that no-one else will see.

SBT

I don't imagine they're arsed one way or another. If they want to drum up interest there are far better and more direct ways of doing it than via local Coventry press that no-one else will see.

The £5m figure almost certainly came from someone inside the club, so someone is clearly arsed.

oldfiver

I would suggest they are only stating the players are nor for sale except for amounts they consider acceptable

Also they are not desperate to sell

The £5m figure is simply a figure to put off silly low offers

Skyblueweeman

How about, 'hang on, he's on our radar, the manager's identified him as a possible, and if we don't act now this mysterious other club will sign him'?

Isn't that part and parcel of life? You snooze you lose? If he's on the radar of club A, club A are potentially going to put a bid in.

My point (again) - if our players are good enough, they'll leave anyway. We're not Man City or PSG. Our good players will go - it's how clubs our size stay afloat - selling our best players - every club does it.

Deity

Isn't that part and parcel of life? You snooze you lose? If he's on the radar of club A, club A are potentially going to put a bid in.

My point (again) - if our players are good enough, they'll leave anyway. We're not Man City or PSG. Our good players will go - it's how clubs our size stay afloat - selling our best players - every club does it.
I agree so the key is the timing of the sale to maximise transfer fee.
IF O’Hare adds goals to his game he’s a £8-10m player, if he doesn’t he’s a £3m-£4m player.

if you sell at this point you are almost certainly not selling him at anywhere near his peak potential price.

Users who are viewing this thread