Welcome Jonson Clarke-Harris (1 Viewer)

Manchester_sky_blue

jch off maybe

Comments on this Rotherham forum don't seem to allude to any knobheadedness on JCH's part. Opinions seem to vary between "a good player who wasn't given enough game time" to "he had the talent but lacked the desire".

Nick

Administrator
There are plenty of levels of knobheadness too.

Granted he may turn out like a Nile Ranger but on the other hand he might grow up and put a shift in with the right people around him.

If he had been going into last year's team of Reid, Turnbull etc and too many who clearly didn't give a shit I'd be more worried.

Manchester_sky_blue

I'm not worried because if he dicks about A) Doyle will break his face and B) Robins just won't play him and we are no worse off than we were before.
Only slight concern is that Ponticelli might get the hump if he drops even further down the pecking order but we shall see.

Nick

Administrator
I think it will take a bit off pressure of Ponticelli and let him develop naturally with a few sub appearances, U23's, cup games etc. Earlier on this season it was as if our whole promotion revolved around him scoring shitloads for us at one point.

The other thing, I reckon he would do Doyle if it came to a bare knuckle in the car park.

SkyBlueCRJ

I agree. Ponticelli was never meant to to be a starter this season so it shouldn't be an issue for him. Robins made it clear from the get go that he would be playing U23 football this season with the occasional few first team appearance - i.e. he'd be protected and managed correctly.

When none of our strikers were on form earlier in the season, we all were guilty of relying on Ponti to step up to the plate despite the fact he's only 19. So as Nick says, JCH coming in will probably only serve to be a good thing for him as it'll take the pressure off.

Manchester_sky_blue

I think it will take a bit off pressure of Ponticelli and let him develop naturally with a few sub appearances, U23's, cup games etc. Earlier on this season it was as if our whole promotion revolved around him scoring shitloads for us at one point.

The other thing, I reckon he would do Doyle if it came to a bare knuckle in the car park.

You could well be right about Ponticelli.

As to him doing Doyle, i'm not sure, but hey it never hurts in this league to have a couple of players capable of scaring the shit out of the opposition.

Nick

Administrator
You could well be right about Ponticelli.

As to him doing Doyle, i'm not sure, but hey it never hurts in this league to have a couple of players capable of scaring the shit out of the opposition.

It's not a bad thing, would think he would look up to players like Doyle anyway as Doyle clearly wants to win every game at any cost so it's not a bad thing. Not going to mind if he does start bullying the shit out of defenders. We haven't had enough of that over recent years.

stevefloyd

Ponticelli last season was scoring for fun in the under 18's not quite so well in the under 23's, this year he has stepped up and now scoring in the under 23's but not doing so well in the seniors so maybe next season is the year Ponticelli does good and if he doesn't realise that he is being ill advised

AFCCOVENTRY

What did he say

Happy to be back. It's like home.

As soon as I knew Cov wanted me back I didnt think twice.

The squad is amazing. Hugely talented and shouldn't be in this division. I didn't realise how good the players are here

I'm ready to be called upon and this is a team game. Raring to go. I want to help get us promoted.

Promotion is the only target.

I gave it large when I scored against Cov but the fans gave me a fair bit of stick. All good. I hope we can put that in the past and they forgive me.

CCFCSteve

Im pleased with the signing. A gamble, like most at our level but well worth a punt as it's an area we would've been short with an injury or two and the lads got talent

I can't believe the stat moaners before he's even played, like with McNulty after a handful of games and Biamou. I'd argue that they are one of the top two or three strike partnerships in the league over recent weeks. Give the lads a chance and hopefully they will deliver.

Good luck JCH !

robbiekeane

He seems a bit more level headed

Coventry City returning striker Jonson Clarke-Harris: ‘It feels like I’m home, and there’s no way these players should be in League Two’

giphy.gif
I feel like he was even more level headed in the actual interview if you watch in the ifolllow app. For example he didn’t actually just randomly start saying he was technically a better player than he was....he was specifically asked how have you changed as a player etc.

So yeh, didn’t come across as a nob at all in the video. Bit arrogant and confident but you need that in a striker

Marty

I'm looking forward to seeing this lad bang in the winner this afternoon.

Great_Expectations

The worries re attitude are fair based on things we have heard, but hopefully he’s moved on and matured. His interview certainly implied that.

As has already been said, if there are any behavioural issues then the experienced pros, such as Doyle, Kelly and even Baker, would stamp them out, as well as Robins obviously. Even someone like Willis, who, whilst still young, has been around the first team a long time and is very experienced for his age.

Talent wise, he’s played at a higher level than most of our team, and while he’s obviously stagnanted a little, I’d still expect him to be a class above L2.

I just hope Biamou isn’t dropped to make way for him immediately, but I doubt Robins would that. I also hope JCH understands he may have to sit on the bench for a while.

Overall, it’s a positive signing and with him, Andreu, Jones, Willis, Bayliss, McNulty and to a lesser extent Stokes, McDonald, Davies, we are building a solid L1 squad already.

Users who are viewing this thread