Wigan Athletic (Home) Match Thread (2 Viewers)

stupot07

Are you convinced yet Stu?

Come on boys we can do it.

To be fair Armstrongs playing on the wing, I think that will suit him making diagonal runs in behind, reminiscent of Sheff in his pomp.

Wigan have had the better of the last 20 in which we've struggled to get hold of and keep the ball up top. So no, not convinced yet. Need to do it over a run of a games to convince me, I still remember Eddie Johnson scoring on debut ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

Otis

Decent half, great goal brilliant play by JOB and cool finish by Armstrong. We haven't really created anything of note since bar Armstrongs shot from the edge of the box.

Started to lose the midfield battle last 20 as Wigan start to get around the box, but with a lone striker they haven't really troubled Burge who's looked composed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)
I noticed we defended deeper and deeper. Seems we are quite happy to let them have possession in their own half and then just over the half way line.

One concern is the amount of crosses coming in from the left.

Sent from my LG-D405 using Tapatalk

Great_Expectations

They are keen to play it out of their defence rather than a long ball to the strikers and we are nullifying that well.

Ironically our weakness is also distribution from the back, predominantly from Johnson. Too many long balls being played to a miniature strike force. While Johnson is the guilty party for losing possession our strike force need to use their pace and movement more effectively.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Ricketts the difference to our defence, compared to last season.

He brings a calmness and he looks quite assured and has them pretty well organised.

Wigan obviously identified Willis as the weak link down their left flank.

Ricketts has been very good.

I think the reason they're are concentrating more on Willis's side is not just because he's the more vulnerable player in our defence, but it's also so they can try and bypass Reda. Don't think he's missed a man or ball yet!

Grendel

I noticed we defended deeper and deeper. Seems we are quite happy to let them have possession in their own half and then just over the half way line.

The main concern is the midfield looks poor again apart from JOB.

stupot07

Yep, and our defensive midfield have been generally poor, Maddison's getting the ball too deep too. Looked class when he has it.

Griggs showing some class touches but it really shows the limitations of one up front.

AFCCOVENTRY

Ricketts is playing very well. Willis is being worked down the flank as there is no midfield protection. He's doing well. Stokes has JOB to help cover.

Burge still looks an accident waiting to happen. At least we've given up on him goal kicking.

Fleck poor Vincelote a bit out of it as well and can't see what position Lameries is in.

There is always a chance of goals with johnsons pace but tudgay I think should be playing.

Nah, he's an 18 year old unproven lightweight nobody.

Lol...we should sign L2 journeymen...this kid won't make it in this league...he has no experience...blah blah

Astute

To be fair Armstrongs playing on the wing, I think that will suit him making diagonal runs in behind, reminiscent of Sheff in his pomp.

Wigan have had the better of the last 20 in which we've struggled to get hold of and keep the ball up top. So no, not convinced yet. Need to do it over a run of a games to convince me, I still remember Eddie Johnson scoring on debut ;)

Are you now a bit more convinced about Armstrong Stu? :D

chiefdave

Maddison either getting tired, or their CB just has better pace. Twice now Maddison has had two good chances to run at goal but has lost out to the defender who's got there before him

If he's tiring might as well bring Tudguy or Thomas on.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Rubén runs forward, should have beat their defender for pace but is another one who's tiring. Chooses to take the foul, O'Brien wants the quick free kick but Rubén would rather wait and waste time. O'Brien didn't seem too happy but I guess it's different ring 2-0 up and time wasting to 1-0

Users who are viewing this thread