Mason Greenwood (2 Viewers)

Frostie

Seems this is an attempt to smooth the path ready for reintegrating him...

Football really doesn't help itself sometimes & finds increasingly more ways to alienate its fanbase.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Football really doesn't help itself sometimes & finds increasingly more ways to alienate its fanbase.

Not really, the guy hasn’t been found guilty. He’s entitled to return to earn a living doing whatever he feels.

clearly an unsavoury individual, but he’s free to return to live his life unless otherwise stated

clint van damme

The club that once sacked a manager for having a affair......

Reactions: vow

Saddlebrains

Not really, the guy hasn’t been found guilty. He’s entitled to return to earn a living doing whatever he feels.

clearly an unsavoury individual, but he’s free to return to live his life unless otherwise stated

There was literally footage of her telling him no and him saying ' I dont give a fuck im going to fuck you'. Along with kicking her up and down the house

But yea let him carry on, while we're at it shall we get Lee Hughes to murder someone else?

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

There was literally footage of her telling him no and him saying ' I dont give a fuck im going to fuck you'. Along with kicking her up and down the house

But yea let him carry on, while we're at it shall we get Lee Hughes to murder someone else?
There was voice recordings not video footage - he’s denied it was him. She has come out and defended the guy. I’m not saying it’s not him.

what I’m saying is ultimately there’s been no convicted crime. You can’t punish someone in the court of public opinion and being a shyster

I don’t necessary disagree with people like Hughes returning to football. He should still be in prison - but ultimately he’s paid his sentence, whether that was long enough is a totally different thing.

Saddlebrains

He denies it was him

While she says Mason no

And he replies to Mason, saying no im gonna fuck ya 🤷

I thought you were on a wind up but evidently not

David O'Day

I don't think that is smoothing the way for anything

There incorrect reports today that they had decided to let him stay so they needed to release something to ay "hold on a minute".

They are also waiting for the Women who are still at the world cup to return so they can involve them in the decision.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

He denies it was him

While she says Mason no

And he replies to Mason, saying no im gonna fuck ya 🤷

I thought you were on a wind up but evidently not
Look - again didn’t say he wasn’t, look up the thread I’ve pretty much gone through the system. You don’t know what happened after the audio stopped.

He is an unsavoury character, but in the eyes of the law he wasn’t convicted. You can’t stop him earning a living because he sounds like a tosser

Frostie

I don't think that is smoothing the way for anything

There incorrect reports today that they had decided to let him stay so they needed to release something to ay "hold on a minute".

They are also waiting for the Women who are still at the world cup to return so they can involve them in the decision.
Decision was made a couple of weeks ago apparently. Today's statement is because of the leak though yes. Hopefully the backlash will make them think twice.

rob9872

As always it seems to matter not your character but your earning potential. He shouldn't be anywhere near a football pitch but someone will give him a contract because of the huge sums involved in football. I really hope its not us but imagine it will be abroad. I really can't see the global power of Utd finances risking it but who knows.

Compare with David Goodwillie who we were once linked with and he continues to get hounded out of everywhere and can'tearn. Not saying he shouldn't but less known, also not convicted, but ultimately less talented than Greenwood and so easier to dismiss.

Reactions: vow

David O'Day

Decision was made a couple of weeks ago apparently. Today's statement is because of the leak though yes. Hopefully the backlash will make them think twice.

They are saying that is incorrect and no decision has been made. The recent story about involving the women's team does make me believe them.

So basically you have a journalist saying one thing and the club saying that is incorrect.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

As always it seems to matter not your character but your earning potential. He shouldn't be anywhere near a football pitch but someone will give him a contract because of the huge sums involved in football. I really hope its not us but imagine it will be abroad. I really can't see the global power of Utd finances risking it but who knows.

Compare with David Goodwillie who we were once linked with and he continues to get hounded out of everywhere and can'tearn. Not saying he shouldn't but less known, also not convicted, but ultimately less talented than Greenwood and so easier to dismiss.
Goodwillie was a case that should have proceeded , sex between them was admitted and they even had the evidence from the bouncer saying she weren’t in any fit state to do anything let alone consent.

he was however “guilty” in the civil court, so the victim got a bit of a hollow victory

Frostie

They are saying that is incorrect and no decision has been made. The recent story about involving the women's team does make me believe them.

So basically you have a journalist saying one thing and the club saying that is incorrect.

Think this is pretty clear & bloody good journalism, the likes of which you don't see so much anymore.

rob9872

Goodwillie was a case that should have proceeded , sex between them was admitted and they even had the evidence from the bouncer saying she weren’t in any fit state to do anything let alone consent.

he was however “guilty” in the civil court, so the victim got a bit of a hollow victory
Agree, far from defending him but both these are scum, just highlighting the difference between one with prospect and one not worth the risk. Being carefully managed PR.

Last edited:

David O'Day

Think this is pretty clear & bloody good journalism, the likes of which you don't see so much anymore.

it's not though

All that says is instead of replying to him united released a statement. A statement that 100% denies the story.

That thread even uses the word "personal reading".

It maybe true, or it maybe not but that adds very little.

vow

Man Utd reveal 'intensive deliberation' over Greenwood

"Throughout this process, the welfare and perspective of the alleged victim has been central to the club's inquiries, and we respect her right to lifelong anonymity," the statement said.

"We also have responsibilities to Mason as an employee, as a young person who has been with the club since the age of seven, and as a new father with a partner."

FFS! laying it on thick, getting the PR machine revved up.

Otis

It's so baffling that the charges were dropped.

I do think the case might be ongoing though. Is that right?
And I guess we may never know what the CPS' "new material has come to light" comment is all about.

It's hard isn't it, because he seems undoubtedly guilty. The charges were dropped though, so I can see why there is the deliberation.

I really can't see him playing in this country again. Whatever has gone on, he seems a most unsavoury character doesn't he. It's awful and disgusting reading that transcript .

David O'Day

It's so baffling that the charges were dropped.

I do think the case might be ongoing though. Is that right?
no, the case was dropped completely as she denies he was guilty of "attempted rape, assault, and controlling and coercive behaviour".

I guess the issue for the CPS was although the recordings are of him saying he is going to do it he doesn't actually do anything in the recordings. The CPS in domestic abuse cases can actually proceed with the case even after the victim withdraws or denies the allegations but the CPS in this case took the view they couldn't get a conviction in this case.

*before anyone decides I am defending the player, I am not. I am simply talking about why the case against him was dropped.

SBT

On the contrary, I think this is the kind of basic journalistic practice that the vast majority of decent journalists do every day. Offering the right of reply is just a basic thing - if tweeting long threads about the process impresses people so much, maybe journalists should do it more, perhaps people don’t realise how much work actually goes into these stories.

Frostie

On the contrary, I think this is the kind of basic journalistic practice that the vast majority of decent journalists do every day. Offering the right of reply is just a basic thing - if tweeting long threads about the process impresses people so much, maybe journalists should do it more, perhaps people don’t realise how much work actually goes into these stories.
Crossed wires here, I wasn't on about the explanation thread, I was on about the actual investigative journalism to get the story in the first place & I agree it is exactly what decent journalists do.
My point was the trend is for less of that kind of work in preference of clickbait, rehashed articles with no substance etc.

SBT

Crossed wires here, I wasn't on about the explanation thread, I was on about the actual investigative journalism to get the story in the first place & I agree it is exactly what decent journalists do.
My point was the trend is for less of that kind of work in preference of clickbait, rehashed articles with no substance etc.
Well the investigative journalism here is just that Crafton obviously has a source on Man Utd’s executive team who leaked the initial Greenwood decision to him (presumably to further their own agenda). In that sense it’s not much different from what someone like Fabrizio Romano also does, but even that involves more reporting than what we often get from local papers further down the league pyramid, so I take your point.

Otis

no, the case was dropped completely as she denies he was guilty of "attempted rape, assault, and controlling and coercive behaviour".

I guess the issue for the CPS was although the recordings are of him saying he is going to do it he doesn't actually do anything in the recordings. The CPS in domestic abuse cases can actually proceed with the case even after the victim withdraws or denies the allegations but the CPS in this case took the view they couldn't get a conviction in this case.

*before anyone decides I am defending the player, I am not. I am simply talking about why the case against him was dropped.
Cheers for that, DOD

David O'Day

It looks like he was trying to regain control of the story narrative as most of the further reporting by other outlets makes the clubs reply the main story.

djr8369

Is it possible they just think they wouldn’t get a conviction because her dropping the charges and any evidence of history of risky role play or something will make the jury lean towards not guilty anyway?

rob9872

Hope someone does some irreparable damage to his ankle in the first game he plays.
... and the ref, assistants and VAR all say it's fine, play on or possibly send Greenwood off for simulation.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

View attachment 31500

No idea how some people defend this. If it was my daughter id have kicked the prick to within an inch of his life
Nobody is defending him. As DoD stated she denied "attempted rape, assault, and controlling and coercive behaviour".

there is no visual evidence of this, there is no allegations. And despite the clearly unsettling nature of the transcript - you don’t know what has happened pre - or post transcript. (Hence the “new evidence came to light”)

is he a c**t - yes! But he’s not been convicted of anything nor is there any official allegations against him.

M&B Stand

Who knows what goes on behind closed doors, what amazes me after the recording came out, her dad released a statement basically gutted that his meal ticket was a risk. Very little concern for his daughter. Weird it was.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Nobody is defending him. As DoD stated she denied "attempted rape, assault, and controlling and coercive behaviour".

there is no visual evidence of this, there is no allegations. And despite the clearly unsettling nature of the transcript - you don’t know what has happened pre - or post transcript. (Hence the “new evidence came to light”)

is he a c**t - yes! But he’s not been convicted of anything nor is there any official allegations against him.
I find the need for a conviction a strange take personally. There are countless cases of people committing a crime and not getting convicted for it. If your whole moral compass is based on complete faith in the justice system, then fair enough, but it's not a stance I can agree with. The audio is there for everyone to hear. Any 'we don't know what happened before/after' is just nonsense. He beat her up. If there was any evidence suggesting it was false allegations/it wasn't him in the audio, it would have come to light a long time ago. She took him back like many domestic abuse victims do. Especially when said person can have a huge influence on your 'status' or 'quality of life'.

He doesn't have to be convicted of a crime to be fired from a job. All of us would be fired if an audio of that came to light and was sent to our employers. Also, if this was Diego Dalot/Harry Maguire/a youth team player, they would be got rid of. They're holding on to him because he is a financial asset. So, now their ethics lie entirely on financial gain which is deplorable for an institution like Manchester United.

I wouldn't care if he was convicted of the crime or not, if City were signing him, I'd be done with attending until he left/the person who made that decision had been forced out.

David O'Day

Is it possible they just think they wouldn’t get a conviction because her dropping the charges and any evidence of history of risky role play or something will make the jury lean towards not guilty anyway?
probably, the defence would likely call her as a witness as well.

*Once again, this is not me or the CPS believing he is innocent just that the CPS don't believe they could get a jury to convict.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I find the need for a conviction a strange take personally. There are countless cases of people committing a crime and not getting convicted for it. If your whole moral compass is based on complete faith in the justice system, then fair enough, but it's not a stance I can agree with. The audio is there for everyone to hear. Any 'we don't know what happened before/after' is just nonsense. He beat her up. If there was any evidence suggesting it was false allegations/it wasn't him in the audio, it would have come to light a long time ago. She took him back like many domestic abuse victims do. Especially when said person can have a huge influence on your 'status' or 'quality of life'.

He doesn't have to be convicted of a crime to be fired from a job. All of us would be fired if an audio of that came to light and was sent to our employers. Also, if this was Diego Dalot/Harry Maguire/a youth team player, they would be got rid of. They're holding on to him because he is a financial asset. So, now their ethics lie entirely on financial gain which is deplorable for an institution like Manchester United.

I wouldn't care if he was convicted of the crime or not, if City were signing him, I'd be done with attending until he left/the person who made that decision had been forced out.
The whole basis of the British constitution and indeed most democracies is innocent until proven guilty.

the audio is disgusting, but again - you can’t say he beat her up. You’re assuming the context, Because there is no evidence of it, and agreed I wouldn’t want City signing him - but the fact is he is an asset, unless he’s an actual criminal rather than what the public thinks of him - then he’s free to pursue a living as do all of us.

with regards to the false allegation comment - she’s withdrew the allegation so it doesn’t stand.

As with DoD - what my thoughts of the incident are immaterial, the CPS do not have enough evidence to convict, the key witness has withdrew their allegations, therefore there is no allegations apart from member of the public screaming “ we know he did it”

he’s an unsavoury individual, but he’s entitled to seek employment in anyway he feels he can get - as are Man Utd in using an asset anyway they see fit

Users who are viewing this thread